Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

PSA 9 Gretzky Topps rookie

I have my first ever consignment with PWCC ending tonight and I am slightly disappointed so far in the price action. By no means do I fault PWCC but the disparity between auctions is wide. There are two PSA 9 Topps Gretzky rookies closing tonight both by PWCC ending at the same time. My card is bidding at a steep discount so far. The other Gretzky does have a new flip which probably accounts for some of the difference but wow. I personally guarentee the authenticity of this card if anyone is interested but has concerns about buying the old flip. Good luck to anybody bidding and hope you get a deal, but not too good of one image. Also the last PSA 9 Topps sold on EBay went for 9k.

PSA 9 Gretzky Rookie
On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I will offer my personal opinion. I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Neither of those PSA 9s closing tonight strikes me as being a real eye catcher. In fact, they both bother my eyes to look at them, due to flaws. I do wish you luck. But, I think you're trying too hard.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PWCC's auctions tonight are one thing that bothers me about them. They have 16 or so Gretsky rookies ending tonight with them ending less than a minute apart. I buy a fair amount of cards from PWCC. When they have multiples of the same card it has to hurt prices.

I have to agree with travis t about the quality of the cards. The fish eyes and centering on your card would bother me. The tilt on the other one bothers me. Good luck with your sale.

James
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I would be incensed if I consigned such a high dollar card and it was included with 15 others ending around the same time. I am not sure why they do this, other than the fact that their very small commission percentage does not incentivise them to do otherwise, versus the seller who stands to lose an awful lot of money in this scenario.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is my only gripe with PWCC, the sheer number of duplicate high end cards that tend to go to auction together.

However I don't know what Brent can do to change this. If the consignors do not use PWCC they would either list it themselves or use another consignor, so there is no guaranty that multiples wouldn't be posted at the same time. Having them on PWCC does makes it easier to compare for the buyer.
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gregmo32

I would be incensed if I consigned such a high dollar card and it was included with 15 others ending around the same time. I am not sure why they do this, other than the fact that their very small commission percentage does not incentivise them to do otherwise, versus the seller who stands to lose an awful lot of money in this scenario.

I was floored with the number of Gretzky rookies that went up at the same time considering there has been relatively sparse pickings for high grade examples over the past few months compared to say Jordan rookies where there are multiple of the grade 10s available at any one time. It does seem it would be better as the consigner to have them spread out over time and as a buyer to have them available for consideration as a large group such as this. I think probably many sellers were trying to ride the coattails of the recent PSA 10 sales. The realized prices were somewhat lower than recent comparisons but you could also say that about many other card sales across the board. For those who were critical of the card flaws, you may not realize how condition sensitive the Gretzky rookie are. Even the PSA 10 O pee chee rookie had many critics. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    On the contrary, I am keenly aware of the condition sensitivity of the Topps Gretzky rookie card, which is what makes me so critical. As has been discussed many times here in the past, the grade can fit based on specifications applied, but that is only a portion of the overall appeal to some folks. I do agree that the saturation of cards in the recent auction may contribute to pricing structure, but you also need to remember that the current marketplace is the reason your card and everyone else's card is considerably more valuable in an auction format than it may have been one, or two, or three, or more years ago. In other words, the nature of this beast has brought examples forward in plentitude. Your hindsight will vary, depending on the future health of the marketplace.

The vitality of the marketplace IS the reason you sold.