Home U.S. Coin Forum

New forum on 10-11???

Just seen a post on the sports card forum that we are getting a new forum on October 11th.

Is that true? PLEASE say it is!
Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler

Comments

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of forum?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor mill forum?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd just leave it alone. He's right about no liking change.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (FROM Sportscard Forum)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to share some upcoming changes.

Last year we “upgraded” the forum software, and as you all know we experienced many issues in the aftermath. The reason we upgraded was because we had plans to one day change to a new system completely, but in order to do this and preserve all of the current data, we had to upgrade within the existing system provided by Fusetalk. (Essentially, the system we were on before was so old that a changeover at that time would have caused the loss of all old threads/posts/accounts, etc. So it was a needed “upgrade” in order to move towards our true goal of switching completely.)

That said, we are now at the point where we are ready to change to a newer, more modern forum system. Some of you will like it, some of you won’t – that’s true about all change. But it is a much better format in our opinion, one used by several large companies. We are not the developers, so there are some things we can/cannot do ourselves. But the good news is that the development team for the new software is much more responsive and receptive to our questions, concerns and overall feedback, which will bode well for us all as we move forward.

We have tested extensively and I have even recruited a couple of current members to help test. They found some issues that we needed to address and made some suggestions; some things we can fix, some we can’t as it’s simply not part of the new system. But in general, it was nothing major – mainly aesthetics and preferences. However, we are open ears and happy to pass along any relevant feedback that can help improve the site.

Ultimately, what I want everyone to keep in mind is that the first few months of the changeover may be bumpy. It will look/work differently and this will cause some ripples, but it is not impossible to grasp with some exploration, testing and perusing. I stumbled my way for a few days, but with patience and just asking questions, I was able to start maneuvering with more ease. So I just ask for some patience and understanding on this end.

Our goal is to make the final transition on Tuesday, October 11. That means the forums may be down on that day, but it shouldn’t take long to finalize the migration.

Afterwards, I will start a thread for everyone to post questions or concerns and I will address as fast as I can. I ask that everyone post there instead of emailing as this way the answers can benefit everyone. (And please just keep in mind that I do have other responsibilities at PSA, so I will do my best to answer in a prompt manner.)

Well, that is all for now…

Thank you for your time and attention to this. We hope this upcoming transition is a much smoother one than the previous one we experienced.

Thanks,
    Jackie Curiel
    Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum Admin
    Webmaster@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looking forward.

change sings the tune we all dance to.

i prefer long-term stability and consistency/reliability but not at the cost of errors, frustration, loss of membership etc.

this software, if not for a few kinks, would work just fine and i didn't know it needed one upgrade before a major change couldn't take place but im aware of such precedents.

i will hope the testing included a few diff o/s, browsers and versions of both as that is where our biggest problems are currently, besides basic search and some url linking issues.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Change is good... I collect it.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not make a sticky instead of a post in the sports card forum? I'm looking forward to an upgrade..
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mach1ne

Why not make a sticky instead of a post in the sports card forum? I'm looking forward to an upgrade..

Maybe only the sports card forum is upgrading at first. They are younger, more hip, with it, and able to adapt to change and willing to change. If it was me, they would go first. Let them figure out the issues, rework the issues, and then move forward with the other forums.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The currency forum sure has their panties in a bunch....talk of who manages the forum is getting pretty ugly there.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    Rumor mill forum?

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DNADave

The currency forum sure has their panties in a bunch....talk of who manages the forum is getting pretty ugly there.

touchy subject. CLCT has licensed the name "PCGS Currency" to the prior principals of PCGS Currency for 20 years ending in 2028. At one time PCGS Currency was a small division of CLCT and did maybe $1M in revenue/yr. It was either break even or money losing at the time and maybe 2% of CLCT revenue. Just not worth the time. So the Currency principals bought the license to use "PCGS" and the logo and use the forums hosted by CLCT for 20 years. I think there was a one time fee of $300K and they pay CLCT a royalty every quarter based on their revenue. The yearly royalty has been about $50K/yr though it was down by half last year (not sure why)

The issue is licensing the name of PCGS to another company has issues and causes confusion. On the PCGS facebook page their are complaints about PCGS Currency. What can CLCT do about that as it is a separate company? so it hurts the brand.

Also of issue is the fact that CLCT started their own currency division called PCGS Banknote. So now you have PCGS Banknote owned by CLCT, PCGS Coins owned by CLCT, and PCGS Currency a separate company. Confused?

There are lawsuits and issues going back and forth. In 11 years PCGS Currency will not be allowed to call themselves that name anymore nor use the forums here nor use the logo. I am not sure anyone in the currency forums understands the issues. I lost my dbcoin id when I get into it on the currency forum last year so I am just not going there.
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a guy who was working with/for pcgs on their apps come to my table at the June Long Beach show. While we were talking about the apps and how I liked them etc, he mentioned that they were working on a new forum. He wasn't on the team handling it, so he didn't really know much about it, but said it was in the works.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what software they are replacing this with.

I work for a "Major" iOS/Android gaming company, and help manage their forums. We're talking over a million threads, 8 million posts, 1.2 Million plus users, with 18,000 online right now. The kind of forums we need 25 of us to almost be fulltime with to keep up.

Granted, we're not quite that busy here - but if they are installing vBulletin - I hope they hire some more staff 8-)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARGH!

I am just getting where I know how to use this one! I really don't like change unless the "new" is better....which most of the time it is not.image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change back in 2001 lost everything.... the last change at least kept most stuff.... not sure what will happen this time. I am curious as to why no announcement has been made here on the coin forum. Cheers, RickO
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as long as they retain the ability to "pinch and expand" because this is all important to those who study images posted or have poor eyesight. Personally I hate change.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

The change back in 2001 lost everything.... the last change at least kept most stuff.... not sure what will happen this time. I am curious as to why no announcement has been made here on the coin forum. Cheers, RickO

it was, a while back.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering how much complaining went on last year with the change to the current system, I would think everyone would be elated about this news.
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hopefully post counts are reset.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101

Why?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    All that I ask is that the search feature be fixed. As it stands now it is useless.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Shamika
    All that I ask is that the search feature be fixed. As it stands now it is useless.

This. Their indexing is broken. I'm not sure it's worked correctly since the upgrade.

It makes finding threads (especially recent ones) almost impossible.

I've created a couple of duplicate threads because search turned up no results...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mach1ne

This.

I would imagine the Sporty folks could be a fractious bunch if irritated (and I know I have been).

Looking forward to this, if it is true. Based on what I've read here so far (only a few posts in), it sounds plausible and interesting.

I'm sure the transition will be difficult, but if the old posts are somehow accessible via archiving, I welcome the change (since it's so obviously necessary- usually I'm resistant to change).

These days I'm increasing my presence on CoinTalk instead of these boards, largely due to the issues here. (I think there's a lot of overlap of members like this- I see a lot of familiar "faces" there.)

But I have 15 years of goodwill and loyalty to CU, so ... whatever it takes to make it viable. I've noticed a rather dramatic and worrisome decline in activity here over the last few months, even on the traditionally more active forums like US Coins and the US Coins BST.

So, if this is true... bring it on! I'll be over on the other forums during the transition, most likely, but I'll come back when the dust settles.

Also of issue is the fact that CLCT started their own currency division called PCGS Banknote. So now you have PCGS Banknote owned by CLCT, PCGS Coins owned by CLCT, and PCGS Currency a separate company. Confused?

Yes. image

But I heard something of this from another member who does currency. (I don't.)

My brain melted about halfway through his first paragraph about it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit using PCGS currency when they made the change, all notes go to PMG
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jdimmick
    I quit using PCGS currency when they made the change, all notes go to PMG

You do know that pcgs doesn't own pcgs currency, right?
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101

Why?

Because it's apparent to me that some users post only to increase their post count. If post counts are reset, then this will decrease many of the useless comments I see daily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file