Home U.S. Coin Forum

USMint quality going down

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ordered a few of these (for my son and I and as gifts).

3 of the 4 are going back. They have "divots" in the obverse field.

Kind of stand out when you have a wide open, empty, mirrorlike, field and then a pit that just sticks out.

None of these are getting submitted (weren't purchased to submit). None were purchased to be flipped. Not looking to just cherry 70s from these, but I don't feel comfortable having proofs like this that have pits showing in their fields.

Hopefully, others are not experiencing the same thing. Thankfully, these were things I bought and had a purpose for, so I opened them up immediately....no sealed box needed so no one gets stuck with subpar proofs.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Ron... I have one on the way.. will check it carefully. Only coins I ever returned to the mint were proof ASE's...and they had obverse field defects.. glaring defects. Cheers, RickO
  • I only bought one as I am a collector. I could only find one small mark on the banner by e pluribus on the reverse so I will keep it. However, I did find 2 finger prints, one on the obverse and one on the reverse of my 2008. Talk about horrible quality control, how about mixing in some gloves? I wish I would have noticed them 8 years ago, I would have sent it back. Going back to the video someone posted of them being struck, would you want the one still in the press when the worker was wiping the dies and blowing that air all over the place?
    "Speak comfort to me Jacob."
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought (and just received two), opened and looked at one and was actually rather amazed at how nice it looked, except that I don't care for the "snake skin" look of the frosting on any recent modern coins, but that isn't a quality issue, it's a design defect in my opinion.

At any rate, this makes me wanna immediately look at the other to make sure I'm not holding onto a POS.

QC really isn't a strong point for our modern mint.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord

I bought (and just received two), opened and looked at one and was actually rather amazed at how nice it looked, except that I don't care for the "snake skin" look of the frosting on any recent modern coins, but that isn't a quality issue, it's a design defect in my opinion.

At any rate, this makes me wanna immediately look at the other to make sure I'm not holding onto a POS.

Hopefully your 2nd one is fine as well.

I normally don't take that close of look to the new mint products that I plan on keeping as I haven't noticed big issues in the past.

This being "different", with the edge lettering and all, I popped one out as soon as it came. The field "pit"/defect was very noticeable to the naked eye.....I thought it was just a bad gash on the plastic capsule face.....popped that off and, nope, there it was on the coin's surface.

Made me look at the others, thinking, "can't be on any others.....can it?". It was on 2 of the remaining 3. Different location. Still similar. And, because of the mirrorlike look, they really stood out.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought 3 , one for the Dansco, one for the collection and one to trade. 2 of the 3 have the exact same mark and location on the obverse, the 3rd has a different mark on the obverse. Only slightly better than the previous 3 years where I had to return all of them due to inferior quality.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine looks great, very pleased!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    Is there a time limit on US Mint returns?

thanks

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SNMAN

Is there a time limit on US Mint returns?

thanks

Yes. 7 days.

Used to be 30 but, due to abuse of the policy, particularly around precious metals when they were quite volatile, and also people trying to get high grades or else returning, they reduced it to 7 days.

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I am happy (and pleasantly surprised) to report that the two I purchased look great.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I must have been lucky. I ordered one and it is just fine...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the mint still provide a prepaid mailing label for returns like in the past?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, shipping is paid by the sender. However, you can make a written request to the mint with a copy of your return shipping receipt and they will reimburse you. Best to always get sig confirmation on a mint return, especially gold.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord

It depends on the issue. West Point and (sometimes) San Francisco usually does a pretty good job. (The American Liberty and APE's for instance.)

I suspect much of this has to do with the short time frame the mint had to produce hundreds of thousands of these because of the late passing of the FAST Act. They're rushing to get the coins done...

(There's an article on Coin World that people just aren't impressed with the 30th release. They even quoted one of my posts. If I'd known, I'd have tried to be a bit more coherent. image )

Edited becuz I kant spel...
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    No, shipping is paid by the sender. However, you can make a written request to the mint with a copy of your return shipping receipt and they will reimburse you. Best to always get sig confirmation on a mint return, especially gold.

When I returned my SLQ last month (using the return function on the order status page), they e-mailed a pre-paid UPS label to me. Took about a week from sending the package to getting the replacement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file