Home U.S. Coin Forum

2016 Coin & Chronicles Set - Ronald Reagan (16PA)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
No mintage or HHL, only the announcement date and placeholder page:

WAG, 50K-75K mintage, HHL of 2... Probably $57.95, same as last years sets...

That leaves Nov and December for the gold walker and burnished ASE. (And the LE Silver set and the 2016 congrats set. Can't forget those...)

Edit to add:
Cost updated to $68.95, production limit 150K, HHL of 3. No silver prez medal, but a 2016W ASE will be included instead.

Oh, looks like no stamp!

Comments

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I thought I read that the Ronal Reagan $1 Coin Cover has sold the highest mintage in the entire series so far.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be curious to see what the medal is. The medals in the previous year sets where exceptional.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be curious to see what the medal is. The medals in the previous year sets where exceptional.

I expect that the medal will be patterned after Reagan's first Inaugural Medal.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

I expect that the medal will be patterned after Reagan's first Inaugural Medal.

Right. If they keep the same format as the last four, there's be a $1 RP Reagan prezbuck, a re-strike of his Presidential Medal on a ASE blank, and a stamp. Can't forget the stamp.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was hoping for a small mintage but knew that was a looong shot. I'll be getting one for sentimental reasons though as my grandfather was friends with the gipper and I met him a couple times at grandpas house in West LA when I was a kid. At that age though all I remember was asking the "body guards" to see their guns every time lol. This was late 80s early 90s after he left office
    The more you VAM..
    The cost has been published in the federal register, $68.95, a NINETEEN PERCENT INCREASE over last year's model.

There better be something interesting in this set to justify the price increase...
    I'm disappointed. sigh. According to Coin World:

The Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles set goes on sale Oct. 11 and will contain a Reverse Proof 2016-S Ronald Reagan Presidential dollar struck at the San Francisco Mint, a 1.5-inch bronze Ronald and Nancy Reagan medal, and a Proof 2016-W American Eagle 30th Anniversary silver dollar. President Reagan signed into law the 1985 legislation, Title II of Public Law 99-61, Liberty Coin Act, approved July 9, 1985, authorizing the American Eagle series.)

No sliver presidential medal, but a 1.5" bronze. And a plain 2016W Proof ASE. I'll be able to get those anywhere. image (Now if it was a 2016S Proof...)

And no mention of a stamp, either. image

What will the Proof 2016 American Eagle silver dollar cost collectors?

Edit to add link....
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    WAG, 50K-75K mintage, HHL of 2... Probably $57.95, same as last years sets...

Holy overproduction, Batman!

Coinnews.net published that the mint informed them the mintage will be 150K, HHL of 1. (Hope that's an error, but if the mint wanted to take the air out of the Reagan's C&C set, they've succeeded...)

Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set Includes 30th Anniversary Silver Eagle

So let's see...

I predicted a price of $57.95. It'll actually be $68.95.
    I predicted a 50-75K mintage, it'll actually be 150K.
    I predicted a HHL of 2, it'll be a HHL of 1.

Batting zero! image
  • aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    It's a reminder of 80's Reagan Era.
    The price hike is probably going to US Nuclear Defense.. haha.
    Remember Star Wars, the Strategic Defense Initiative, not the movie.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Batting zero!

...and so will this set. We can now guess how long it will be on sale before the HH limit is removed
    Probably just buy one to complete the collection. Set will go nowhere.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stars are just not right.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big mistake not minting the 1-OZ medal. Very disappointing.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BigA
    Batting zero!

...and so will this set. We can now guess how long it will be on sale before the HH limit is removed

No longer interestedimage

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the 150k is an error...they meant 50k

How can they EVER expect to sell that many? Kennedy was I think 50k with a two per and that was around for a bit

I vote for a correction to 50k...still will not sell out on day one. S mint ASE proof..definitely...W mint run of the mill contained in other sets proof...nope
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO...

Big mistake not having the silver medal.

Big mistake flooding the mintage numbers.

And increasing the price also.

Oh wait... you get one of the new edge lettered silver eagles. Hmmm... one that they are minting to demand, so nothing special there unless it has some other unusual finish to it...

Way to end the Coins and Chronicles series with a smash....
    ----- kj
    No medal, a mintage of 150,000 and HH limit =1. LOL, what will they think of next? It's a joke, right?image

I knew it would happen.
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 20K? Probably wouldn't even sell all of 20K with a HH limit of 1. LOL
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jclovescoins

Anti flipper price,....Mintage...... no medal.... no buy .........Flipping days on Mint coins are OVER
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bestday

Anti flipper price,....Mintage...... no medal.... no buy .........Flipping days on Mint coins are OVER

Did you forget the silver peace medals? That was as good a flip as any we've seen in recent years, percentage-wise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Someone had noticed the mint put up a small pic of the C&C set in the upcoming products part of their website, so I cropped it, then enlarged and enhanced it.

Sure looks like a Reagan RP, the 2000 Congressional Medal of Ron and Nancy (not even his presidential medal), and a proof ASE...

In other news, CoinWorld also published the 150K product limit number... sigh...
  • I have FDR, HST, Ike, JFK & LBJ, so I'll be getting one to keep the collection up to date.
    Thanks to the early higher HHL on HST & Ike, I'm playing with found money anyway. image
    I think they should have had the 1 oz medal but I was going to buy the Eagle anyway, so this saves me the trouble.
  • 150k = DOA

I look forward to buying the medals for $25 each or less and making a roll of em though
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    Well, it's official...

• 2016 Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin produced at the San Francisco Mint with “S” mint mark
    • American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Dollar produced at the West Point Mint with “W” mint mark
    • Ronald and Nancy Reagan Bronze Medal (Their 2000 Congressional Medal)
    • One authentic engraved Ronald Reagan Presidential portrait produced by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
    • Booklet including information and images from Reagan’s life and Presidency
    Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: 150,000
    Household Order Limit: 3

$68.95, on sale October 11.

At least the HHL is 5. (Uh, now 3.) But I don't want 5 of these... (Or even three of these...) Don't want the proof ASE, no silver presidential medal, not even in bronze. This set would have been a winner with his presidential medal and a S-mint ASE proof.

And no stamp. Whazzup wit dat? image

Also as a public service, be aware that if all 2016 ASE products do go off sale Dec. 30, this will be one of the products that will go off sale.

Edit to update new HHL...
    sigh.

The mint has changed the HHL from 5 to 3.

Perhaps they'll compromise at 4 by the time they go on sale....
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bureau of Numismatic Indecision strikes again.
    Originally posted by: renman95
    The Bureau of Numismatic Indecision strikes again.

Think those ordering up 100s of low mintage sets last year... with 5 minute sellouts. motivated Mint to knock out flippers from this series .. with the Reagan set
    Schizoid - I think that's the right term for the Mint's inability to figure it out.

I knew it would happen.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schizoid - I think that's the right term for the Mint's inability to figure it out.

Actually, Schizoid defines emotional aloofness and solitary habits.

I think you were looking for Trumped-Up.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Actually, it was probably someone who got out a calculator. (Do they still sell calculators?)

At 5 per, that's 30K customers. At 3, it's 50K. (Worst case. Probably more like 50K and 75K customers in reality.)

They have had 30K of something sell out quickly. (The SLQ sold 47K the first day.) 50K better covers their bases so there won't be the obligatory complaints when something sells out before they can get home from work.

Now, do I think they'll sell 150K of these?

Not a chance. Especially since the flippers won't touch this one. (What could prove me wrong, is if collectors decide to forgo buying a stand-alone proof ASE and decide to get the RP Ronnybuck and the small bronze for only $15 more...)
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this but no silver medal count me out.
    Thanks US Mint.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a great way to buy the 30th anniversary proof silver eagle. Instead of paying $53.95 for that coin alone... pay $15 extra and get a reverse proof Reagan Dollar and a bronze medal too. I'll buy those two coins for only $15 all day long...

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint threw a wet blanket on this one- I was thinking they'd stay the course, at least with a mintage similar to the Kennedy issue of 50,000, and include a silver medal. What a disappointment. Would have been cool if they'd incuse the "edge" differently on the ASE at least- maybe with Reagan's terms in office. Oh well, I'll get around to buying two after it's release without worrying about the mints site crashing.
    Also: "Affected individuals may simultaneously demonstrate a rich, elaborate and exclusively internal fantasy world."

Sounds like the Mint to me!image

I knew it would happen.
    Originally posted by: grote15

Did you forget the silver peace medals? That was as good a flip as any we've seen in recent years, percentage-wise.

Yes percentage wise ..dollar size ?
    Originally posted by: illini420
    Seems like a great way to buy the 30th anniversary proof silver eagle. Instead of paying $53.95 for that coin alone... pay $15 extra and get a reverse proof Reagan Dollar and a bronze medal too. I'll buy those two coins for only $15 all day long...

Wow ..someone hit it on the money.. sharp.. reason for 3 HHL... wholesale Proof Eagle $45-50 .. other items less than a $ 20 image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: grote15

Yes percentage wise ..dollar size ?

$150 to $600 for a set of four was nothing to sneeze at.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Could stall at 15K sold and than taken off sale on Dec. 31, making it the key for the reverse proof.

I doubt the mint also made 150K in packaging. This could stall the process of sales by making new packaging. Can always hope.
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    Could stall at 15K sold and than taken off sale on Dec. 31, making it the key for the reverse proof.

I doubt the mint also made 150K in packaging. This could stall the process of sales by making new packaging. Can always hope.

Doubt it.... once the Proof Silver Eagle Value priced in .. easily 50,000 sold

I can see it.. .Proof Silver Eagle from C & C Set.... worth more than Proof Silver Eagle by itself
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would the US Mint downgrade the medal/set like that?

I guess the silver medal values are going to increase some now.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it.. .Proof Silver Eagle from C & C Set.... worth more than Proof Silver Eagle by itself

Speaking of the Proof from the C & C set, I sold two 2012 S Proof Silver Eagles from the C & C set to Apmex. Both are NGC PF70, one with the Trolley Label and one with the San Francisco label. They assigned the wrong product number to them and listed both on their website as being 75th anniversary and not from C & C set. I sent them and email, however they are still not shown as from the C & C set.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    I will pass on this one. Taking a break from buying coins until something special catches my eye.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK

Speaking of the Proof from the C & C set, I sold two 2012 S Proof Silver Eagles from the C & C set to Apmex. Both are NGC PF70, one with the Trolley Label and one with the San Francisco label. They assigned the wrong product number to them and listed both on their website as being 75th anniversary and not from C & C set. I sent them and email, however they are still not shown as from the C & C set.

Silver Proof Eagle from The 2012 Set sold for over $200 each in Prf 70 ... I think they sold 90,000 Prf Eagles in the Set....
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set is most definitely DOA.
    Many happy BST transactions
    PCGS versions of the Proof Silver Eagle from C&C 2012 Set sold early on for nearly $300 for a 70.
    Hat.. My email down.. good to check out Great Collections for a sell
    No biggie. Was just clearing out excess purchases from 2010 to 2013 for the grand kids.

Broke even on the lot so no loss no gain. What I have left is what I like and for myself and

what I want to leave for the grand kids. Do not post much as I have been very busy this year

with a major upgrade of my companies network and software, however I still read the forum

almost every day.

Hat
  • Originally posted by: illini420

A silver lining in the mint's dark cloud.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
    A silver lining in the mint's dark cloud.

lol. copy that, CGC.image

I knew it would happen.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's buying tomorrow? Tuesday October 11th at noon.

I'm in for one or two.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file