Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

12 new coin graders added in last year

The 10K annual report from CLCT filed with the SEC yesterday indicates they have 36 coin graders with an avg of 12 years of experience vs 24 coin graders and 28 years of experience last year. So it looks like there was some turnover (doing the math on years of experience) but 12 new heads have been brought on. In addition, total headcount is now 302 vs 290 last year.

Hopefully this will help lower turnaround times in the coming months as these folks get up to speed.

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that 12 for the overseas divisions or 12 in California?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MICHAELDIXON

10K does not break that out but CEO on Conf Call last night said they now have permanent graders in China, so yes, some of these are overseas. Even so, it helps them stop ferrying US graders to overseas and back which is a non-productive use of time. I suspect they can start with the Chinese Mint coins and seek help on the Vintage coins.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very key question Mr. Dixon.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, but some of them might have had to go back to NGC for remedial training. image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, these new graders in the last 12 months have made an impact. The turnaround times have definitely been trending one direction in the last year.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dbldie55

Apparently, these new graders in the last 12 months have made an impact. The turnaround times have definitely been trending one direction in the last year.

They are also grading 50% more coins than last year with the additional 50% new graders. Factor that in.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they catch up; I sent NGC an early bird that arrived on the 25th and it is in quality control, almost shipped out. Why is there such a disparity between the two in turn arounds?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: logger7

I hope they catch up; I sent NGC an early bird that arrived on the 25th and it is in quality control, almost shipped out. Why is there such a disparity between the two in turn arounds?

Because PCGS is doing way more coins than NGC now. PCGS changed their Modern pricing in 2016 to capture market share from NGC and it worked. Before, NGC had 70% of the Modern market. Now it is 50/50. PCGS has 70% of the Vintage market.

I'd bet ICG and ANACS have even faster turnaround times.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must all work in the modern department as that is the one tier that doesn't have numbers that look like halftime at an NBA game.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dbtunr
    Originally posted by: dbldie55

They are also grading 50% more coins than last year with the additional 50% new graders. Factor that in.

50% more coins with 50% more graders at 200% the normal time to grade... Hmmmmm, something just does not add up...
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

10K does not break that out but CEO on Conf Call last night said they now have permanent graders in China, so yes, some of these are overseas. Even so, it helps them stop ferrying US graders to overseas and back which is a non-productive use of time. I suspect they can start with the Chinese Mint coins and seek help on the Vintage coins.

It will be a real shame to see them lose the American market because of efforts to focus on China.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not grading the same amount of money making coins with 6 weeks turnaround on regular submissions. Clearly the market did not like their earning report, down another 6% today, on top of the 10% 2 weeks ago. If there is not an immediate turnaround, this will be sub $15 soon. DB is always trying to spin this, but he forgets he is talking to the paying customers, who are not going to pay full price for a cheap service level.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

paying customers, who are not going to pay full price for a cheap service level.

Today is business day #23 for my current Regular Service order, which involves free vouchers I received after two earlier orders had errors on either the coin date or the variety and I had to send them back for correction at my expense. This experience has obliterated the value of Regular Service for me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Solutions? Hire more graders? How long would it take for men and women with those skill sets to come up to speed on quality grading? Bring retired graders out of retirement? Incentives for high % correlation to finalizer's grade? High tech pre-grading equipment minimizing the amount of time spent?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While earning's can be given the "blame," the stock rallied up for 7 months along with gold, silver, and the mining sector. It doesn't go up forever. Gold and silver have been taking lumps since early August. CLCT showing a very typical consolidation as the 7 month trend breaks down. CLCT also had a very nice 6 year rise into 2015 along with much of the stock market. Its fortunes seem to be tied to both of these markets.

More graders with less experience leads to more variability in the grading. That might support more grading revenues and cut the back log. But, the net product could change.

CLCT chart
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twelve "new" Graders added over the past year may only account for the attrition experienced with existing Graders retiring. We don't know the facts. One can speculate that all 12 have been hired and assigned to positions grading only Modern coins either in the US or elsewhere. They certainly aren't working on the pile of US Regular and Economy submissions as evidenced by the growing delays in turnaround of those items.

The US Mint, the China Mint and to a lesser degree the other mints cranking out modern coins for collectors are not doing the hobby any favors. When a coin is specially struck and from that moment forward is handled and packaged with extra care and never intended for circulation is it really a coin or more just a collectable? Some day the people who buy this dreck will realize they've been had. The fact that the coin is encapsulated just creates one more party to be unhappy with.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Because PCGS is doing way more coins than NGC now. PCGS changed their Modern pricing in 2016 to capture market share from NGC and it worked. Before, NGC had 70% of the Modern market. Now it is 50/50. PCGS has 70% of the Vintage market.

ICG,Anacs , NGC don't mean hoot .. PCGS was paid to deliver a service at their set price... they manage it .... 50 ,100 more graders what difference does it make ..just grade coins at advertised time .. when will PCGs deliver what they advertise and what Buyers pay for their tier of service ?image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

ICG,Anacs , NGC don't mean hoot .. PCGS was paid to deliver a service at their set price... they manage it .... 50 ,100 more graders what difference does it make ..just grade coins at advertised time .. when will PCGs deliver what they advertise and what Buyers pay for their tier of service ?image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe this thread hasn't been poofed or caused a few warnings or bans! Patience is a virtue! image

OOPS! I meant the other one! image
  • Options
    It's not like they can call up Manpower or Kelly Temps and get the backlog filled. Plus they hire for the long term, most companies have a probationary period. It's sink or swim. I'm curious what the retention rate is, must be a pressure cooker at times to fulfill all the responsibilities, keep the trains running on time, get all the ducks in a row, and juggle all the complex (breakable) balls in an orderly fashion....
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Not sure, but some of them might have had to go back to NGC for remedial training. image

That was a cheap shot. Funny, but perhaps skirting into dangerous territory. image

(Rule 1, Rule 7. I've been Willis-spanked for less. Beware, is all I'm suggesting.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So it looks like there was some turnover"

Average years of experience would obviously have dropped with the departure of Miles (who had close to 30 years I would suppose). Just saying ...

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems getting the optimum outcome is the goal for everyone... So that may take longer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar

The US Mint, the China Mint and to a lesser degree the other mints cranking out modern coins for collectors are not doing the hobby any favors. When a coin is specially struck and from that moment forward is handled and packaged with extra care and never intended for circulation is it really a coin or more just a collectable? Some day the people who buy this dreck will realize they've been had. The fact that the coin is encapsulated just creates one more party to be unhappy with.

Oh I dunno, the difference between 69 and 70 can be tricky-- It takes a real expert to tell one from the other image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not like they can call up Manpower or Kelly Temps and get the backlog filled. Plus they hire for the long term, most companies have a probationary period. It's sink or swim. I'm curious what the retention rate is, must be a pressure cooker at times to fulfill all the responsibilities, keep the trains running on time, get all the ducks in a row, and juggle all the complex (breakable) balls in an orderly fashion....

When I ran into an ex-grader at a local coin shop the word was a lot of stress and the pay was not enough to raise a family in Orange County.
    I remember him saying he was going to Texas.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    In the not too distant past my economy submissions were coming back in 2 or 3 weeks. Of course we would all like that kind of turn around all the time. However which is more indicative of a sound market the current situation or fast turn arounds?
    Thomas King
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Many of those include graders working out of international locations and part time graders. The number of full time graders who grade "on the line" in Santa Ana is much lower than that.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WTCG

Many of those include graders working out of international locations and part time graders. The number of full time graders who grade "on the line" in Santa Ana is much lower than that.

It's amazing how we get info around here. A little info from the company would sure be nice.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that ICG is sending the $12 economy tier coins out in 12-14 working days. Foreign & tokens just slightly longer. I have heard that they sometimes held "economy" coins that were ready to ship so as not to hurt the 5-10 day tier submissions!
  • Options
    It's got to be a great job for the best eyes. In my younger days, this would have been "the life". To be a grader of coins. Every flaw, nick, scratch, ding, mark, spot, print, and , and , and... a blessing it is to see clearly. Imagine how difficult it must be over the years. And to get it right every time. It boggles the mind and moves a lot of money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

That was a cheap shot. Funny, but perhaps skirting into dangerous territory. image

(Rule 1, Rule 7. I've been Willis-spanked for less. Beware, is all I'm suggesting.)

image Duly noted, though it was not meant as a "cheap shot". I have full respect for all of the graders, no matter if it's through PCGS, ICG, NGC, ANACS, etc.,

"Remedial training" was a tongue in cheek statement, initially adopted with my time, in service. No harm intended.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    As far back as I can remember, the business model for all of the grading services has included a method to encourage submitters to use the faster, more expensive service tiers, with Economy intended to be used as a last resort for truly inexpensive items or pieces that take more time to identify or attribute. Can't blame them for that -- think about grading 20 BU $10 Indians vs. 20 well-circulated Hard Times tokens.

That being said, if turnaround times are causing you problems, don't post it here -- call them directly. If they hear from enough valued customers, they will respond.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's got to be a great job for the best eyes.
    I can't imagine grading coins for a living. The monotony would drive me insane. Perhaps as a way to sharpen skills before becoming a professional numismatist ... but as a career ... ugh! Nothing against those who enjoy the work and are good at it, but it's just not for me.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when will PCGs deliver what they advertise and what Buyers pay for their tier of service ?

would you rather have your coins graded properly --- or --- back to you within a specified time?? PCGS does deliver what they advertise, you just read some kind of "guarantee" or "carved in stone" time into what they clearly state if you go to the submission center. I prefer to have PCGS grade my coins so I send them to PCGS and wait for them to get graded.

back around 2003-4 this same thing was taking place. at that time many submitters were opting for NGC because they were grading coins faster and submitters could "FLIP" them faster. the only problem,acknowledged by pretty much everyone at the time, was that NGC graded approximately one point high and the market for same grade/same coin paid less for the NGC holder. that made it a wash or a loss for the NGC submitters but speeded things up for guys like me who stayed with PCGS. I think I should suggest that now, but it seems like a fools errand to take that route, better to just be patient and enjoy the wait.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file