Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 30th Anniversary American Silver Eagle Proof (16EA)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2016 3:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum
The much anticipated 2016 30th Anniversary ASE will be released September 16, according to the latest news from the mint...

No other details released.

With such a late release date, I wonder how many they'll sell. 500K?

No word on the uncirculated version...

Weekly sales data can be found in this post.

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Release is in plenty of time for the holiday rush... and retroactive births etc.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks nice. I'll take 10. thx
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More is better.... Unless less is image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Other than a missing edge lettering, upside down, not at the 6 o'clock position etc.......really nothing special about the coin
  • Options
    Prices set in the Federal Register:

American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (16EA): $53.95
    American Eagle One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin (16EG): $44.95
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edge lettering in collar? No smooth edge coins?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    Edge lettering in collar? No smooth edge coins?

Well, they won't be reeded, but they will have edge lettering.

It's a fixed collar, so all the edge lettering will be in the same place in regard to the obverse/reverse, in the same orientation. Supposedly. Except for the error variations. image
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of edge lettering. Definitely buying one each Proof & Uncirculated. And maybe a couple extras for holiday gifts.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty cool. image
  • Options
    Just a heads up...

Subscriptions for the ATB pucks ship earlier than real orders, so I set up a subscription for two proofs, and will probably cancel the sub after they ship.

But I noticed something on the order page:

2016 enrollment price is $48.95 per unit

The price set for the proof is $53.95. $48.95 was last year's price. (The same is true for the unc version. The mint set the price at $44.95, but the page says "2016 enrollment price is $39.95 per unit.")

Is this a way to avoid the price increase? (Probably not, but I took screen shots just in case... image)
  • Options
    5 minutes ago I received an email from the Mint: "There is no household order limit, with customer demand determining the number of coins minted."

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroo...0909+News+Release+16EA

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    There will be a gazillion of these made. Also included in the Reagan C & C set...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BigA
    There will be a gazillion of these made. Also included in the Reagan C & C set...

And the limited edition proof set.

But I think a gazillion is a little high. Probably more on the order of a bazillion.

(We could realistically see a number between 750,000 to a million if they sell like they have in previous years...)
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, but, but there will only be a brazillion or so that "achieve" FS!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Silver Eagles in the Reagan C & C Set, but probably in the Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets.

So, a different question tho' - do both the Proof and Unc Silver Eagles have edge lettering this year, and are they the ONLY Anniversary versions of the Silver Eagles being made?

The Regular Issue ASEs still have reeded edges, right?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

...So, a different question tho' - do both the Proof and Unc Silver Eagles have edge lettering this year, and are they the ONLY Anniversary versions of the Silver Eagles being made?

That's two questions...

-- Yes, both the Proof and Unc have edge lettering this-year-only.

-- As usual, there is also a bullion Silver Eagle for 2016. But it does not have edge lettering.

IIRC, the bullion version was released in January. It's available from many dealers, like this: http://www.apmex.com/product/9...lver-american-eagle-bu

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday, if not already, every year will be the anniversary of something,

and need a new "coin" issue, preferably with new gimmick, to go with it..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

No Silver Eagles in the Reagan C & C Set, but probably in the Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets.

Uh, yeah, there's going to be a proof ASE in the Reagan C&C set. It was confirmed by coinworld when the Reagan C&C set was included in the ASE listing in the Federal Register.

2016 Coin & Chronicles Set - Ronald Reagan (16PA)

So, a different question tho' - do both the Proof and Unc Silver Eagles have edge lettering this year, and are they the ONLY Anniversary versions of the Silver Eagles being made?

The Regular Issue ASEs still have reeded edges, right?

Yes. As far as the mint has let us know. No hints of any special finished coins, and if there was going to be a special set, I think we'd have seen it included in the pricing of the ASE in the Federal Register.

If you're asking if there's going to be a 30th AGE, the answer is no...
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious just what makes the difference between a proof and an uncirculated coin since reportedly both are struck three times at the same pressure?

Per CoinWorld:

"The Proof and Uncirculated versions both are struck three times on a Gräbener GMP 360 press under 225 tons of pressure per strike. "
  • Options
    Originally posted by: northcoin
    Curious just what makes the difference between a proof and an uncirculated coin since reportedly both are struck three times at the same pressure?

Per CoinWorld:

"The Proof and Uncirculated versions both are struck three times on a Gräbener GMP 360 press under 225 tons of pressure per strike. "

How the finish the dies? But I'm not sure that was your question... image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tenth anniversary set was in 1995... why was the 30th not in 2015?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: kiyote
    The tenth anniversary set was in 1995... why was the 30th not in 2015?

Wasn't there some complaint that the 1995 was the 10th issue, but the 9th anniversary of the coin? Your first wedding anniversary isn't the day of your wedding, and your first birthday isn't the year you were born. (Add 10 years for the compaints in 2005...)

Or maybe they're pretending 2009 didn't exist. image
  • Options
    US Mint page is up, including images of the coin and edge lettering (oblique image below):

American Eagle 2016 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (16EA)

$53.95, a $5 (10%) increase over last year. Available September 16 at Noon.

Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

In other news, the mint has quietly fixed the subscription page, fixing the price for the 2016 proof from $48.95 to $53.95...

(Edited to add image)
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO:

Edge lettering: Cool

Just having "30th Anniversary": NOT Cool

I'm ok if they had that but also had "100 cents" or "One Dollar" or SOMETHING in addition to "30th Anniversary". To me, it just makes it cheesy having just that. image

I haven't looked at the charts, but, other than them claiming increased costs (edge lettering?), I don't see a reason to justify the $5 increase across the mintage.

Sigh....just goes to refute Sir Isaac Newton....."what goes up does NOT necessarily come down", when it is referring to prices by the mint...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    On sale tomorrow.

This should be interesting. No mintage limits, no HHL, and will be on sale until the end of the year, but it's coming late this year. There's no reason for the Mint website to be inundated at noon, but I do expect to see several hundred thousand being sold over the next month.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at the charts, but, other than them claiming increased costs (edge lettering?), I don't see a reason to justify the $5 increase across the mintage.

FYI...The price of silver is up by over 30%
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

On sale tomorrow.

This should be interesting. No mintage limits, no HHL, and will be on sale until the end of the year,

...and into next year....

• Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    On sale tomorrow.

This should be interesting. No mintage limits, no HHL, and will be on sale until the end of the year,

...and into next year....

Not necessarily. Here's the wording in the law:

Proof and uncirculated versions of coins issued by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to subsection (e) of section 5112 of title 31, United States Code, during calendar year 2016 shall have a smooth edge incused with a designation that notes the 30th anniversary of the first issue of coins under such subsection.

It says "during calendar year 2016". Considering the removal of all the 2015 ASE products last year to adhere to this law, I'll bet the proof and burnished 30th coins go off sale on Dec 31.

(Here's the link to the law: FIXING AMERICA'S SURFACE TRANSPORTATION ACT)

Search "SEC. 73002"
  • Options
    Now see, that's what I call easy... image Ordered two, because I always order two.

USS112436xx

(USM=mint catalog order, USS=subscription order)
  • Options

It says "during calendar year 2016". Considering the removal of all the 2015 ASE products last year to adhere to this law, I'll bet the proof and burnished 30th coins go off sale on Dec 31.

"

Hmmmm......that makes sense..

...but maybe the restriction is only for 2016 coins minted in 2016 and they could still sell the remainder into 2017 while returning the 2017 ASE to the original strike

We will see...or maybe someone will ask the Mint

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    Hey Backroad, I also set up a subscription today but I noticed that it said it starts with the 2017 coin so you may want to make sure your subscription goes through. Maybe it starts in 2017 because I signed up on the day they go on sale but here is what the site says.

Every year, receive a beautiful collector’s version of the American Eagle Silver Proof Coin with Walking Liberty accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity

•Starts with the 2017 American Eagle Silver Proof Coin

•2016 enrollment price is $53.95 per unit

• Options
    Originally posted by: cruisersk1
    Hey Backroad, I also set up a subscription today but I noticed that it said it starts with the 2017 coin so you may want to make sure your subscription goes through. Maybe it starts in 2017 because I signed up on the day they go on sale but here is what the site says.

Every year, receive a beautiful collector’s version of the American Eagle Silver Proof Coin with Walking Liberty accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
    •Starts with the 2017 American Eagle Silver Proof Coin
    •2016 enrollment price is $53.95 per unit

I set up my sub a couple weeks ago.

Got my e-mail order confirmation at 1:30 this morning, the order is on my order page, status is processing, my credit card has been pinged. I hope they'll ship today, but they're coming smartpost, so it doesn't really matter...

I'm just here to play with the website at noon. image
  • Options
    4477XXX @10:00 I wish the hard to get coins went through this smooth...
  • Options
    And CC pinged @ 10:02
  • Options
    Yeah, no drama at noon. I was hoping to play with credit card lookups...
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

But, but, but there will only be a brazillion or so that "achieve" FS!

Brazillion,,, smooth edge,, lol thanks, I needed a good chuckle.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    Mine is already being shipped to me.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, wrong thread. image
  • Options
    I'll bet the proof and burnished 30th coins go off sale on Dec 31.

I was just thinking...with the burnished not even having a release date listed yet I would think that it would at least be mid-October or later before it is released...and the Annual dollar set.....do you think they will only be on sale for a tad over two months? ...and THAT is assuming they get their stuff together before mid-October

• Options
    I'll bet the proof and burnished 30th coins go off sale on Dec 31.

I was just thinking...with the burnished not even having a release date listed yet I would think that it would at least be mid-October or later before it is released...and the Annual dollar set.....do you think they will only be on sale for a tad over two months? ...and THAT is assuming they get their stuff together before mid-October

That's what I'm thinking. This was my thread about the 2015 coming off sale:

Get yer 2015 Silver Eagles now!

All the 2015 and previous Silver Eagle products were taken off sale on Dec 30, just to comply with the FAST Act.

Unless the mint has found someone to grant them an extension on the 2016 products, I'm assuming (there's that word) that all 2016 ASE proof/burnished product will come off sale on Dec 30 this year, just like last year. (Dec 31 is a Saturday.) Words mean things, and the law is specific when it says "during the calendar year".

The shorter window for the burnished may not make that much of a difference, since sales of the burnished is usually 25-30% of the proof, and could sell that amount in a shorter amount of time.

If anyone's asking why they're being released so late, it's because congress pretty much blind-sided the mint with the 30th edge printing legislation. It took them this amount of time to come up with the solution.

Could this mean lower numis ASE sales? I'd say probably, since not everyone keeps up with news like this, and there's probably thousands out there who know (or assume) numis ASE sales extend beyond the end of the year. However, the biggie coin marts and TV hucksters will still drive much of the sales.

Now, it's possible (but I think unlikely) that they could bring back the 2015 (and previous) products in 2017 after the FAST provision expires....

Edit to add: My proofs have shipped, but well, smartpost...
  • Options
    Yeah, as suspected, they sold a few...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    9/18/20162016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (16EA)322,317322,317
    Of course, most were probably sold through bulk sales...
  • Options
    I think we all know what a ASE Proof looks like. (Yes, I know there are reflections in the fields... image ):

But this is about the best I can do for the edge lettering without going through a great deal of trouble.

The lettering is about 25% of the circumference of the coin, so it has about 1/4 inch of depth from the start to the middle to the end of the lettering. Due to the limited visibility caused by the edge of the capsule and the curved surface, it's exceedingly difficult to get it all in frame without getting reflections from the light source, which is needed because you're closing down the aperture to get the depth-of-field for that 1/4 inch depth.

It would probably be much easier to photograph if the coin was out of the capsule. But I'm not going to do that. (I can scratch a proof by looking at it too long. image)

That said, I am unimpressed by the edge lettering. The collar is obviously in three pieces and fixed, where two pieces meet at the 12 o'clock position to create a visible line on the edge of the coin, then another line 1/3 of the way around the coin in either direction. The "30th ANNIVERSARY" is on the bottom third of the collar, readable as you look at the obverse.

It might look better in a different type of capsule. Might even look better in a plain airtite, which would let you see the edge better than the mint's capsule...

Oh well, they'll still sell a boatload of 'em...
  • Options
    Probably won't happen but lots of ways to screw up 3 part collar edge lettering...

A-B positions?

3 plain collars?

2 collars with lettering?

Chipped letters on collar= missing letters

Reeded edge?

• Options
    Bulk or not........still a lot of sales.
  • Options
    Another 40K out the door...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    9/18/20162016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (16EA)322,317322,317
    9/18/20162016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (16EA)363,10340,786
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the best I could do with the edge.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file