Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Quarter Sample.

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still sampling quarters in circulation. In the last year there hasn't been much of note or of interest but today was a little different. Even though I've been sampling since 1966 I've only kept the nicest one I can find (of each date/ mm) since 1996 and before this I saved only Gems and varieties.

Today I got pretty lucky. There were two of the older coins in AU. The 1977 isn't special except that it's the best I've found so will go in the collection. The other is a '79-D but it's a small motto variety which is scarce in such high grade. There's also a second really tough variety which is a nice attractive '85-P Sm Bust in XF. There are also three Gem parks quarters P & D Kisatchie and a Denver Blue Ridge Parkway. So it's three coins for the collection and a nice BRP and '79-D type "d" to set aside.

The coins were a little nondescript with only 53.1% states issues, 4 bicentennial, and very few '67 to '74 issues. The percentage of damaged coins appears to be increasing but I'm continuing to see very few highly worn coins which might imply they are being culled out for destruction. I'm beginning to get the sense that people are pulling out nice XF eagle reverse coins of later dates. It's too early to be sure but '90's era coins have been pretty ratty in the last few samples.
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice day. I wasn't aware of the 85-P sm bust and 79-D small motto varieties.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Nice day. I wasn't aware of the 85-P sm bust and 79-D small motto varieties.

The '85-P comes with a version that has the top of the bust much further from the "E" in "LIBERTY" than the other. It's not especially tough (~.75% of mintage), but it doesn't appear in mint sets and is scarce in nice condition. All of the '77 to '84 quarters come in two versions except the '82-P, I believe. The pick up point on the reverse is extra distance between the eagle's head and the right side of the "N" in "UNUM". The differences are more dramatic on the '83 and '84. The error experts might consider these mere hubbing vareieties but haven't commented on them.

They're fun to search for. The '81-P even appears in mint sets.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of quarters also and agree that the 90s issues are beat up and ratty.

1979-D is a scarce circ. find in these parts.

1986-D and 1983-D are also tough finds for me.

I still see many 1966 coins but the 1965 and 1967 seem to be dwindling in number.

I never thought I would say that; I remember those dates used to make up about 1/2 the coins I used to see (in the 70s and 80s).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a free folder so I've been casually plugging Parks quarters into it. The D-mints are hard to come by here in SE GA.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still see a lot of eagle reverse quarters....they are running 40% of change in this area. I know that because I keep my change and weekly check it for details....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

I still see a lot of eagle reverse quarters....they are running 40% of change in this area. I know that because I keep my change and weekly check it for details.

This is my experience as well 39 to 40% in change and 43 to 44% in rolls.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file