Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mailed a coin with a postal dummy!

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
About 3 weeks ago I shipped a coin at the local PO and ...not being ON MY TOES...and ON FULL ALERT... I...MISTAKENLY got caught by SURPRISE and when the nosy SOB asked what was in it, I forgot my RULE about telling em "MERCHANDISE" and blurted out.....

"a coin."

I tried to remedy it the LAST coin I shipped by telling him it was.....merchandise.

A ploy that obviously did not make him gleeful. He sulked.

So TODAY... I go in to ship another and he sees the insurance form and gaily HOLLLERS out....

ANOTHER COIN, HUH? image

Which elicited my subdued ....yeaaaaahhhh..... grr

Was that bad enough? Well, no it wasn't thank you for asking.

Next, he looks at the insurance and announces:

AN EXPENSIVE ONE TOO !!!

I'm sooooo glad to waste my tax money on morons.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    When they ask, I always say/write on the customs form: "Numismatic Collectible"

They always reply: "huh? okay..."
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    You gotta love the post office. Not!
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to another PO.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Metal Disk" is what I was instructed to write down on Canadian postal insurance forms.

peacockcoins

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a gal in the local PO that when you told her how much insurance you wanted she would repeat the amount for everyone to hear. I Finally just started writing the amount down for her. After a lot of complaints she got transferd
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grip

Go to another PO.

Small community so will look for grocery store that has a postal counter.

Grocery clerks aren't as dumb and nosy as postal ....um... "workers."

Well usually.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local PO workers know what I do, and sometimes mention it out loud. Not a big deal to me.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give your beloved postal worker an ungraded Gold Spouse coin, not a huge loss, and ask them to keep it on the down low.

Or a Kennedy Gold, as you already took your losses on both.

Make darn sure you don't mistakenly give them a 2015 Plat Proof or one of Dimeman's ten centers!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you told him what was in the package and as a result HE is the moron. Right.

The fact that he mentioned anything shows he has no malicious intentions.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine never ask me what's in the package, only the standard, fragile, flammable or dangerous question.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamped metal parts.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who goes to the post office anymore? I sure don't. SHipandinsure with priority on more expensive coins.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

About 3 weeks ago I shipped a coin at the local PO and ...not being ON MY TOES...and ON FULL ALERT... I...MISTAKENLY got caught by SURPRISE and when the nosy SOB asked what was in it, I forgot my RULE about telling em "MERCHANDISE" and blurted out.....

"a coin."

I tried to remedy it the LAST coin I shipped by telling him it was.....merchandise.

A ploy that obviously did not make him gleeful. He sulked.

So TODAY... I go in to ship another and he sees the insurance form and gaily HOLLLERS out....

ANOTHER COIN, HUH? image

Which elicited my subdued ....yeaaaaahhhh..... grr

Was that bad enough? Well, no it wasn't thank you for asking.

Next, he looks at the insurance and announces:

AN EXPENSIVE ONE TOO !!!

I don't believe that your tax money supports the USPS.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI, the Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. This has been so since 1971. FORTY-FIVE years ago. Time to catch up with that fact. If you have a problem with one postal employee, why don't you take it up with him/her or their supervisor instead of griping here.

This is also, in my opinion, a violation of Rule #4.

"Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings."
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What's in the box?"

"Nothing liquid, fragile, or perishable."

If you tell them, all bets (and all future bets) are off. But, even a mildly curious postal clerk can google "PCGS" on their smartphone and figure out what's in the box with $20k insurance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BryceM

"What's in the box?"

"Nothing liquid, fragile, or perishable."

If you tell them, all bets (and all future bets) are off. But, even a mildly curious postal clerk can google "PCGS" on their smartphone and figure out what's in the box with $20k insurance.

Like a bank teller Googling "Great Collections".
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin?

No.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gone so far as to open a picked up package right there, pull out the coin inside, show it to the clerk and provide a little tutorial then drop it into a new envelope to send off to CAC. Most of the clerks know what I do but don't make a big deal out of it either way.

While I generally agree with being cautious, I think you can enlist postal workers to watch out for you also. Now a days my regular route guy will go out of his way to bring a box of submissions from PCGS, NGC or CAC to my house at about the time I get home to ensure he get's a signature.

I really don't think there's anything to worry about.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's aweful. I feel for ya. Whole lot of dopes out there working for the Feds.
  • Options

My mailman was invited to my Daughters wedding by me. Good guy and he also watches out for me.
  • Options
    I was in error on the tax thing.

Good, now my retaliation won't be a federal thing. image
  • Options
    The worst I ever had was when we had the shop open.

The COMPANY box had BOTH my wife and ME on it.

In fact, SHE was the one who filled out the box rental thing.

SUDDENLY...... the boobs refused HER signature on mail addressed to ME with company included.

I hit the roof.

Called them and they said that ONLY the addressee could sign.

Got the postal regs manual, called the postmaster, went over and taped the REGULATION to the inside door of my box.

ANYONE on a box can sign.

And..... they transferred the old bat to another office.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clerk: "whatcha got?"
    me: "computer parts"
    clerk: "that's a lotta insurance for computer parts."
    me: "I hold a patent on top secret communications circuit boards. They gotta buy from me if they wanna do business with Washington."
    clerk: "you want me to stop talking about your shipments?"
    me: "Washington and I would appreciate it."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a stock reply: monitary tiddliewink.

Stops them dead in their tracks.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I print my own labels and avoid all the questions.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be an interesting experiment to attach a live streaming camera on the inside of a small, heavy package...then insure it for the max but without registering it...also, when you drop it off start telling everyone there at the front counter that you just inherited a suitcase full of gold bars and you are sending a small amount of them to people you haven't spoken to in decades...as a surprise...hmmmm...interesting image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

Slaves were freed.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slaves were freed.

Ok, not sure where you are going with that....
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI-the Post Office gets NO tax dollars. They are self funded.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "That's aweful. I feel for ya. Whole lot of dopes out there working for the Feds."

Perhaps before you call anyone a "dope" you should learn how to spell "awful."

I retired from the PO-I'm not a "dope" nor were the vast majority of the people I worked with. I think nearly everyplace has a few "dopes." Are there any "dopes" where you work? And BTW-the military works for the Feds. Are they "dopes" too?

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    My mail person is a lady and always looking in my front window, to see if I'm using my scope .
    I've had 2 coins missing and one I received only because I was watching and tracking the item . Maybe the other one was lost in the twilight zone .

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    No issues at the post office, but I did have to explain to a bank teller once that I do not want him to shout "HEY, HOW MUCH IS AN XYZ COIN WORTH?????" every time I walk in the door.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Machined parts" is my standard answer. For all they know I work in a machine shop and make metal parts.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said 'stamped metal parts' when asked and the contents were coins.... otherwise I usually say 'merchandise'...which it would be. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Who goes to the post office anymore? I sure don't. SHipandinsure with priority on more expensive coins.

Well, if I want to pick up stuff from my PO box, I kind of need to go to the post office. For shipping, if I want to make sure I get an acceptance scan on stuff with signature required, I stand there and make them do it. I don't want a broken chain of custody between me and the USPS.

Originally posted by: BryceM

But, even a mildly curious postal clerk can google "PCGS" on their smartphone and figure out what's in the box with $20k insurance.

One thing I've wondered is how else I could address the package to "sanitize" it a bit. You could probably use "CU" instead of "PCGS" with no problem. There are probably personal names you could use as well. Heck, perhaps even "International Exports, Ltd."
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a postal clerk look at the PCGS addressee and say "coins huh".
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this......
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The worst I ever had was when we had the shop open.

The COMPANY box had BOTH my wife and ME on it.

In fact, SHE was the one who filled out the box rental thing.

SUDDENLY...... the boobs refused HER signature on mail addressed to ME with company included.

I hit the roof.

Called them and they said that ONLY the addressee could sign.

Got the postal regs manual, called the postmaster, went over and taped the REGULATION to the inside door of my box.

ANYONE on a box can sign.

And..... they transferred the old bat to another office.

I had a hag clerk on a power trip tell me one day that I couldn't use paper tape on a Flat Rate Express Mail envelope. I told her to show me where that exclusion was stated in the DMM (Domestic Mailing Manual). She wasn't expecting that I was so familiar with the DMM, so her BS response was, "well I'll have to find it, that could take a while". I told her to take a long walk on a short pier and then told her that either she was gonna accept the package, or her postmaster was going to accept it. She backed down on that challenge. All of the other clerks there are pleasant and helpful - they can't stand the miserable beyotch.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like my mailman and all of the postal employees. They all treat me very well.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

I said 'stamped metal parts' when asked and the contents were coins.... otherwise I usually say 'merchandise'...which it would be. Cheers, RickO

Since "parts" are intended to be used with other "parts", I'm not sure how a coin qualifies as a part.image If the part gets lost does one produce a receipt for a $500 gold coin to support one's claim for reimbursement for the $500 lost part?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba
    "Machined parts" is my standard answer. For all they know I work in a machine shop and make metal parts.

I've been a machinist and tool maker most all my working life.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went the yadda-yadda with the clerk (knowing that he didn't have the right to ask).
    The lobby was full when he looked at the insurance and accused me of mailing broken watches in order to collect insurance.
    ???
    I mean, where did he come up with that?
    Needless to say, it didn't end well for him and the lobby folk were entertained.
    (I keep the broken watch scam in mind)
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    comrade, shoulda sent via FedEx.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: drwstr123

I went the yadda-yadda with the clerk (knowing that he didn't have the right to ask).

The lobby was full when he looked at the insurance and accused me of mailing broken watches in order to collect insurance.

???

Needless to say, it didn't end well for him and the lobby folk were entertained.

Years back, a lot of folks were sending broken computers and other items via UPS and trying to collect damages. Word gets around about stuff like that. Would have been better to have stated that they had problems with people sending broken watches rather than accusing you unfairly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

???

Years back, a lot of folks were sending broken computers and other items via UPS and trying to collect damages. Word gets around about stuff like that. Would have been better to have stated that they had problems with people sending broken watches rather than accusing you unfairly.

You are confused with the Seinfeld episode.

Mailing a Stereo:
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

???

You are confused with the Seinfeld episode.

Mailing a Stereo:

NOPE! Had packages opened by UPS to make sure what was inside.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: ricko

Since "parts" are intended to be used with other "parts", I'm not sure how a coin qualifies as a part.image If the part gets lost does one produce a receipt for a $500 gold coin to support one's claim for reimbursement for the $500 lost part?
    I guess one could state that the "part' (coin) was "part" of a roll, to be used with the other "parts".image

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Numismatic antiquity."
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I have Chuck Norris do all my mailings - he says he never encounters a problem, postal employees are very nice!

I remember walking up to the counter to do some mailing a while back. I walk up give a friendly good morning greeting to the postal employee but get no response. Oh well. So, as I wait there, standing there, I look down and see that there is that usual small advertising mat laying on the counter in front of me.....the thing is crooked and hanging over the edge, so I straighten it. (Yes, some of you might have guessed it already) and the next thing I get is "Hey! Leave that alone. I say just trying to straighten it out, you know, it's hanging over the edge. He says "well, I want it that way" and pushes it back over the edge.

I guess there are most likely a few different ways to handle that but I just bit my tongue.

Well, the guy finishes up and says "Now you have a nice weekend"

I say, that's funny, I'm retired, everyday is a weekend for me.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always used "numismatic collectible" and never had a problem.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file