Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this 1818 quarter?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    From the picture, I'd say it's XF45 but cleaned.

But the big questions is, what is engraved on the reverse?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Heh. You know me all too well, it seems. image

I wanted to have a go at this one because it's quite a tough type for a love token host coin, but it's taken off well beyond my max and is nearing $200 as I type this (with 15 hours left).

It's not only desirable for the tough host type but also because there's so much "meat" on the unengraved obverse.

But I'll have to pass. Will have to hope that another early Bust quarter comes along that I can afford.

From the engraving, I'd guess the love token reverse is late Victorian, from the heyday of such things, circa 1870s-'80s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Heh. You know me all too well, it seems. image

Is the engraved side (reverse) upside down (in the image)? ...or is that something other than a "D" in "ADW"?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The engraving certainly looks like my initials - DAW image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And lovely engraving it is. Too bad it's on the reverse of a pretty nice bust quarter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Is the engraved side (reverse) upside down (in the image)? ...or is that something other than a "D" in "ADW"?

I think you're right- the seller has that side upside down, so it's some combination of "DAW" instead of something like "CVM".

Not paying much attention, I initially took that fancy, inverted D for a closed C.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... big difference if the coin is flipped.....Really nice engraving...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool.

And yes, I agree it is upside down. Maybe the arrow means "this side up"?

Lance.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that one, Rob! I have a piece in my collection with that type of engraving. (a dish)
    My dish is from 1883 if that helps. image
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like love tokens but I am too dumb to be able to decipher the initials on most of them.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Might be upside down. DAW?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice piece, what did it close at?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Originally posted by: Treashunt

nice piece, what did it close at?

$366.76!

I liked it a lot, but somebody else (probably multiple sombodies-else) liked it MUCH more! image

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to have bought it, but that price is cray cray !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

all things considered, it seems cheap? maybe not for just initials though.

im not deep into love tokens but that one is a beast because of condition/type.

with a frog, goose, house, garden, duck etc, bet it would go 4 figures.

i personally would push it past 500 with some ornate pictorial. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love tokens have a market of their own. It's unusual to see an 1818 Large Size Bust Quarter used as a host coin.

The coin has been cleaned, which probably does not make as big of a difference on the value of a love token. Polishing is another story. That will mess up a love token.

The coin probably would have been more valuable if it had not been made into a love token. It would also be more valuable if it had not been cleaned.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Doesn't look "cleaned" to me, just very bright lights used for the photography.

I love the little arrows that subtly say, "this way up"

If those were my initials, I'd be all over this piece.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen one on a CBQ! Intricate engraving, looks like CVW initials altho what order I can't say.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file