Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gene Gardner

Legend was saddened to learn of the passing of Gene Gardner over the weekend.

He was a true gentleman and we will miss him. We'll never forget the times we spent with him at his bank going over his coins. People ask if big collectors do look and do care? Gene sure did! Every coin brought a smile to his face. He also took great pride in assembling a book about each series he collected. He was a true collector.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Rest in Peace Gene
Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Gene was a gentleman and a great pleasure to do business with. My best to his family.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obituary

RIP Mr. Gardner.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Mr Gardner

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene was a dedicated numismatist and a true gentleman, but more important to me, he was a friend. I enjoyed our several conversations, and was always impressed with his depth of knowledge and his contagious enthusiasm for the hobby. He was as modest as he was knowledgeable, and always asked me to confirm his attributions of his half dimes, which were almost always correct. He loved to learn, and never put himself above others. He was a great asset to the hobby and will be sadly missed. My heart-felt condolences to his family, and to his many friends.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrHalfDime
    Gene was a dedicated numismatist and a true gentleman, but more important to me, he was a friend. I enjoyed our several conversations, and was always impressed with his depth of knowledge and his contagious enthusiasm for the hobby. He was as modest as he was knowledgeable, and always asked me to confirm his attributions of his half dimes, which were almost always correct. He loved to learn, and never put himself above others. He was a great asset to the hobby and will be sadly missed. My heart-felt condolences to his family, and to his many friends.

Well saidimage

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences to his family
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this posted earlier. Very sad news.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family, as well.

Many knew him from his collection formed from the 1980's on and sold over the past few years, but he was a long time dedicated numismatist. He very early formed a collection that was sold by Stack's as part of the Stadiem-Gardner collection, back in the 1960's; I think 1965. He told me that it was sold so he could use the money for his education/business. He was a very successful businessman and as said earlier, thoroughly enjoyed numismatics.

RIP, Gene.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news.

I read his interview in the HA magazine and I followed the sale of his wonderful collection.

Very interesting, as he was a shrewd, knowledgeable, lifelong collector who really enjoyed the hobby---good businessman, too.

Condolences to his family.

RIP Mr. Gene Gardner.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip
    Originally posted by: MrHalfDime

Well saidimage

+1
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great man. My condolences
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only know him by reputation. God bless Mr. Gardner
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences to Gene's friends and family. His breadth of quality and completeness in the seated series will probably never be duplicated again. Rather unique that he formulated a top level seated collection in the 1950's to mid-1960's...only to do it again and in more depth 30+ years later.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear. Seated collectors were fortunate to have him - I learned a lot from lot viewing his coins and going carefully through his observations. Happy and privileged to have a few of his coins and in awe of what he put together.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great guy, attended many Liberty Seated Collectors Club meetings and always brought a coin or two for show, usually very high grade and a finest known specimen. Gene really enjoyed his coins and was super knowledgeable about them. Gene was as down to earth as anyone and completely approachable. He will be missed.

A "numismatic" biography is at

Gobrecht Journal #110.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never met him but the respect and admiration are clearly genuine and heartfelt.

My condolences to his friends and family.

-Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Originally posted by: Coinosaurus
    Great guy, attended many Liberty Seated Collectors Club meetings and always brought a coin or two for show, usually very high grade and a finest known specimen. Gene really enjoyed his coins and was super knowledgeable about them. Gene was as down to earth as anyone and completely approachable. He will be missed.

A "numismatic" biography is at

Gobrecht Journal #110.

What a fantastic read
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news.... Condolences to the family.... RickO
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

My very sincere condolences to his Family and friends.
    He was "the collector" personified.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gene Gardner was a collecting legend. My condolences to his family. RIP Gene.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very sad news indeed. sorry to hear about that one image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Here is an obituary that is directed primarily at numismatists:

A Most Distinguished Gentleman: In Memoriam – Gene Gardner
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news. RIP Mr Gardner

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    My sincere condolences goes out to his Family. Although I never met Gene, we talked so many times over the phone and kept in touch via email concerning his Bust Quarter collection. Gene was always cordial, polite, and eager to talk coins! I used to call his office many times and I would get the red carpet treatment - "hang on, Gene will be right there". I think Gene enjoyed us all and welcomed friends alike. He was very knowledgable, kind, willing to research or study and enjoy with everyone. I think back and wished we could have not missed our opportunity to meet up, talk and photograph his fantastic collection. May he rest in Peace.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear this for many reasons. My prayers and sympathy go out to his family and many friends. A true collector, connoisseur, and a really nice guy from all accounts.

Kind regards

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, Mr. Gardner.
    I enjoyed very much the story of how he started collecting - roll searching for Lincoln cents to fill the blue folders, just like many of us did.
    But even better was how he continued the roll searching chase even later in life when he could have bought the ones he was missing. The 12-S remained elusive. My grandfather roll searched for all of his, and got all but the 14-D. A fine tradition!

Having a terminal illness has got to be so hard on the family. (My wife's mom had Parkinson's).
    He seemed to have handled it very well.
    He did manage to liquidate the collection very successfully, and not burden the family with that task.
    It's something we should all strive to do, but may be difficult or uncomfortable.
    Along with liquidating, he shared the great images of all his coins on the auction sites and some websites like Gerry Fortin's, so we all got to appreciate them at that level, thanks to the internet and Heritage.
    I saved the photos of all his Liberty Seated Half Dimes for reference.
    Sure beats the black and white plate photos in my books.
    Thanks, Gene, you were cool.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    YosClimber: "Along with liquidating, ..."

Somehow, I am not comfortable with the use of the word liquidating in this context. There were four major auctions, which I covered in depth. Three of the four were held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in NY. Coincidentally, the sales of the Newman Collection began not long before Gardner I, and the announcement that the Pogue Family Collection would be sold was around two weeks before Gardner I. To some extent, people were distracted from the sale of Gene's Collection, which still has not received the publicity or appreciation that it merited. As far as I know, I am the only one who has written in depth about the auctions of Gene's Collection.

The Incredible Gene Gardner Coin Collection, Part 7 – The Final Auction

YosClimber: Gene Gardner "shared the great images of all his coins on the auction sites and some websites like Gerry Fortin's, so we all got to appreciate them at that level, thanks to the internet and Heritage."

Yes and no, he did share images long before he decided to sell. The images were posted in the registry ATS, and in LSCC publications.

All three major auction companies routinely photograph and post images of coins that are consigned. Gene was not 'sharing' in that regard. Gene did privately publish a small number of picture books of his collection.

YosClimber: "I enjoyed very much the story of how he started collecting - roll searching for Lincoln cents to fill the blue folders, just like many of us did."

So did I, memories of Whitman blue folders, coin stores, and roll searching are very positive for me. I also traded better dates with my friends.

The fact that Gene took the time to often buy rare coins while he was in college is important, as it relates to his enthusiasm and dedication. While many people who collected coins as kids return to collecting later in life, few people take the time to pursue coins while in college, a period when time is precious and social activities are especially fun.

A Most Distinguished Gentleman: In Memoriam – Gene Gardner

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else also HATE this new practice of breaking up not only a collection but even a series within a collection and spreading it out over several sales?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gene was a true gentleman and a friend to many. He had an amazing collection, but he was always willing to discuss coins with anyone. He was a modest man and never bragged about his collection. He regularly attended the meetings of the Liberty Seated Collectors Club, and he had been inducted into the LSCC Hall of Fame. A few years ago, Gene called me and asked me to come to his office and show him a coin I had just acquired. For a coin dealer, that was like getting a call to come see the Pope! We both enjoyed examining and discussing coins for an hour. I always enjoyed my conversations with Gene, and I am sure every other collector feels the same way. We offer our sincere condolences to his family and many friends. Rest in peace, Gene.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear. What a wonderful collection and a wonderful collector.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file