Home U.S. Coin Forum

Slow Turnaround times

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
What's going on at PCGS these days besides a lot of business? Turnaround times for Economy are painfully slow! Still waiting on results from an order rec'd in Mid May. Anyone waiting longer than May 17th? Two months is a bit long imho.

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, that is slow. I saw the other day they jumped the economy up to 36 days. I dropped 2 orders off at long beach that logged in 6/14. I can see now, it will be a long while. Funny tho, its summer, and usually things are slower.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just like increasing prices on consumer goods... How elastic is demand. They must feel that demand is relatively I elastic relative to the turn around times for the service. They are probably right for US coins, not so sure for world coins.
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I received my May 10th submission on June 30th, so you should be right around the corner now.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman
    What's going on at PCGS these days besides a lot of business? Turnaround times for Economy are painfully slow! Still waiting on results from an order rec'd in Mid May. Anyone waiting longer than May 17th? Two months is a bit long imho.

I can beat May 17th.......I have one in since May 4th!

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect it to be less than 30days. They are advertising on the front page of PCGS.com that you can drop coins off on Public Friday (tomorrow) and pick the coins up at the ANA show first week of August. Maybe all of the traveling grading events get priority?
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much WIP? image
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular is up to 21 days too where economy used to be 20. I'm waiting on a 6/14 regular sub and a mid May Econ.

I don't like it, but what the heck am I gonna do other than complain a lot? Not much, other than send 2 coins in express?

Be interesting to see if that 7/6 express sub beats my 6/14 regular!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad somebody else posted this, I have never seen it this slow since I have been a member, its bordering on the point of absurd there is that much stuff being graded at this time. I have 6 orders in today counting what just arrived

I sent todays in under express due to the long wait times, but I cant spend 50 bucks a coin for lots of the stuff I send, or there is no profit left.

I hope they get caught up. NGC times are actually fast. Send two regular NGC orders in since the earlier 4 to pcgs and they are back and already sold to customers before any word on the pcgs coins.
    Originally posted by: jdimmick

I hope they get caught up. NGC times are actually fast. .

There is a reason for that.image

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had 1 submission received May 3 returned about June 20 th and another submission received May 26th won't be here until Christmas based upon projections. I'm not planning to send any submissions (here) next summer. Learned my lesson.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Now you tell me! I just mailed off an economy package today.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World submission received end of April, entered into the system beginning of May, grades posted yesterday. They're short-handed.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: messydesk

World submission received end of April, entered into the system beginning of May, grades posted yesterday. They're short-handed.

Mine (World) was entered into the system on 5/5, grades still not posted. Been calling the last couple weeks and every time I call they say, it is almost done, maybe even today... last call was last Friday, before July 4 weekend. Still not done.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine (World) was entered into the system on 5/5, grades still not posted. Been calling the last couple weeks and every time I call they say, it is almost done, maybe even today... last call was last Friday, before July 4 weekend. Still not done.

My last World Economy arrived 5/6 and grades posted 7/1

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they would just let us select the grades we thought the coin should grade and all PCGS had to do is holder the coin things would speed up. I'm confident we would all be fair and honest.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I would re-echo that since becoming a member in 2004, it has never even remotely been this bad. In other market segments competitive forces usually take care of these kinds of inefficiencies, but since PCGS is singularly the premier/premium brand, normal market dynamics don't apply. It's like Tesla...

One of my suggestions on the survey was to offer an actual guaranteed turnaround time tier as an option, I bet they would sell like hot cakes and PCGS would make mountains of money.
    As I said in the thread I post on this topic on the world forum, PCGS likely is seeing demand destruction in world coins as NGC is a much stronger force.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The regular service slowdown is not good for business. Adjustments should be made to at least ensure the higher priced services are finishing on time. I also have a few regular service subs past the 15 days.
  • Vacation time. Skeleton crew.
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

The regular service slowdown is not good for business. Adjustments should be made to at least ensure the higher priced services are finishing on time. I also have a few regular service subs past the 15 days.

The website says it is now 21 days for regular, so we got that goin' for us.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lunchtime soap opera...cue Days Of Our Lives intro music.

There are times when it seems like your order keeps getting pushed back to the end. There were a few times when it went out quicker than usual too. It depends on what service you are having done. My most recent batches have been reholder/trueview and variety attribution, like my present submission. It will get done when you stop thinking about it and you give the F5 key a break.

Excuse me while I check and see if my latest submission, that was received on 06 July, has progressed...nope still "in progress". Dag-nab-it! The wheels sure do turn slow!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received April 28, shipped July 1. Over 60 days (of course, others received in May were done prior, so definitely FIFO is not policy)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I have seen it worse at times up to 75 days on economy at least a couple of times in the past 8-10 years.
    When everyone gets on the freeway at the same time the traffic slows. Although I do think in the case of World Coins they have had a lane or two closed for construction for over a year now! image
    I know management is aware of the situation and part of the challenge has been lots of show grading recently starting with Long Beach, 2 trade and grades, Summer Fun wrapping up now and Baltimore next week. I would expect past Baltimore next week this should improve gearing up for Anaheim.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkside express is over 15 days now. So there's that.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my regular world submission with restoration back after 25 business days....I was not expecting that! Registered in the PCGS system on 6/6 and received it in the mail today 7/8.
    They graded 5,855 coins yesterday (from the count today vs count yesterday). That would be both world and U.S. Mine from May 4th were "NOT" amoung them!!
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    That's why it's an "economy" service. Pay more if you want a higher priority. I expect that many prefer to trade time for a lower submission price.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How this for excitement:

I got 5 orders in , not counting the most recent submission, since it just got there. I get grades on one order finally today, but luck has it, its a customers submission (and I have 0 coins in this one)
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Co-worker used to work at PCGS back in the early '90s. She said they had so many submissions coming in that they had to have them stored at another secure facility till they could get caught up.

Waits of over 120 days, keep that in perspective.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hire some people.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
    They graded 5,855 coins Thursday, but only 4,073 Friday. That's a 30% drop......must have been coasting into the weekend!
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

They graded 5,855 coins Thursday, but only 4,073 Friday. That's a 30% drop......must have been coasting into the weekend!

They had the public Friday event yesterday. Parts of the staff being elsewhere may have contributed to the lower numbers.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

They had the public Friday event yesterday. Parts of the staff being elsewhere may have contributed to the lower numbers.

Great, just what we need. More time added to our low dollar orders. BTW my low dollar orders are not so low dollar with the added services I'm paying for. I would not have submitted back in May if these times were stated up front. I did not sign up for 60 day return times. I know where a lot of low dollar coins are headed with these kind of times!!!
    Baltimore is next week also...Staff will be there I assume.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

You thought it was bad last week? Regular service is now at 29 days. Put shipping time both ways in there, and you are looking at 2 months to get coins graded at Regular level.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Economy is up to 40 days. I suspect they're next nove will be to request that a Beneficiary Form be filed with a submission; there's a good chance many of us won't be alive to see the grades on our coins. image

I took a look at the "Careers" section on the Collectors Universe site to see if there were job postings for Coin Graders. All they had listed were shipping/ receiving clerks, etc. job opportunities posted. I guess you wouldn't look to hire a Grader from a Job Posting, but I would have felt better if at least I thought they were trying to find help.....

I'm thinking they should outsource to ANACS.

I love them Barber Halves.....
    OMG World express is now 20 days. I should feel lucky that I got mine in "only" 15 last week.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular submission on May 13th expecting coins back for Baltimore show... no grades yet so certainly not coins for show.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
    Originally posted by: Windycity

Regular submission on May 13th expecting coins back for Baltimore show... no grades yet so certainly not coins for show.

Are you sure you meant "regular submission"? Back then they were at about 10 days turnaround.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry... regular submission on June 13th!!!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

You thought it was bad last week? Regular service is now at 29 days. Put shipping time both ways in there, and you are looking at 2 months to get coins graded at Regular level.

That doesn't sound very regular to me. I'm going to ship them a case of Activia.
    Wow, - 40 days for economy. Maybe some graders got canned...???

WS
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of two TPGS (one out of business) that HELD coins packaged and ready to ship so that customers might pay for a higher tier (more expensive) service. I do not think that is the case here. Talking with professional graders, the top two services have become sweat shops, cranking out product.
    Originally posted by: WaterSport
    Wow, - 40 days for economy. Maybe some graders got canned...???

WS

I have a submission on day 47 and counting! ARGH!
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Regular submission logged in 6/10. Last Friday they said ave. time 21 day's....meaning I should hit today...HOWEVER when I looked today the ave times turnaround said 29 day's.....
    Pay for regular and get economy service!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World express @ 17 work days and counting...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feeling pretty good about four day variety attribution. image ...TrueViews coming soon!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    Feeling pretty good about four day variety attribution. image ...TrueViews coming soon!

Smarty pants.image

Attribution is fast when coins are already in PCGS holders.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Unacceptable. Totally unacceptable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file