Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is how you take down a Coin Thief at the Long Beach Show!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I will post this in my show report, but won't get to it until Monday, and this is too good to wait. It occurred on Friday. Don Perlman posted this on Facebook.

"This surveillance video shows Positive Protection, Inc. security guard and former New York City Police homicide detective Patrick Coward on the left as he immediately chased and tackled a suspected coin thief when the suspect tried to flee from a coin show in Long Beach, California on Friday, June 10, 2016. His alleged accomplice is then stopped at the door while carrying a backpack with a reported $300,000 in rare coins believed stolen in an earlier theft in the San Bernardino, California area. Posted on behalf of PPI. Video courtesy of Stack's Bowers Galleries."

On Saturday morning when I arrived at the parking garage, there were lots of police vehi8cles blocking the entrance. I later found out they had located the thieves' vehicle and found the rest of the stolen coins in the trunk.

Taking Down a Coin Thief Video]image[/URL]">http://i441.photobucket.com/al...0Theft_zpsvsbqim0l.mp4
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see the video (site won't load), but if they caught a thief or several of them, well done!

• Options
    I think this will work.

http://i441.photobucket.com/al...0Theft_zpsvsbqim0l.mp4

My friend is the dealer who realized these two guys were trying to sell the coins stolen from Karl's dealer friend. The thieves figured out Karl was on to them and took off, but Karl ran after them and yelled to the security guys to stop them. Then you see in the video one of them tried to bolt and the security guard took him down - looked just like a football tackle! I understand the dealer got most all of his stolen coins back as a result!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord
    I can't see the video (site won't load), but if they caught a thief or several of them, well done!

image....I can't open it either, but as LanLord said...."well done !"

Edit: Thanks for reposting. That theif didn't think he stood out in a crowd, ya think ?
    Wearing bright orange shirt and matching shorts aside from being almost the only
    African American in the convention - didn't help his case one bit.

I am glad they caught the AH. Also glad they recovered the stolen goods in the
    trunk of their car in the parking garage. I bet the dealer who was ripped off got
    Three Hundred Grand in coins breathed a real sigh of relief !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always admired PPI's professionalism back when I was still doing shows.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Looked like the guy we chased down and slipped out the back door 2 Baltimore shows ago! Nice Breaking news report Charmy
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Glad they caught the guys and no one was hurt.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Charmy, I can see the second one you posted.

Bravo for the great take down. I hope they throw the book at them.
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Hope these guys serve alot of time in prison
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!!

How many thieves lose a fortune on a job?

They might lose their lives or their freedom but how many actually lose a fortune?

"Poetic justice" is an understatement of biblical proportions.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!!!!
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    That's fantastic news!
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MFH

image....I can't open it either, but as LanLord said...."well done !"

Edit: Thanks for reposting. That theif didn't think he stood out in a crowd, ya think ?

Wearing bright orange shirt and matching shorts aside from being almost the only

Um yea, black guy wearing bright clothes=thief. Got it. Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering what the police cars outside were for, good to know!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sitting at SB's table at the time.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

I was wondering when this would take a turn like this.
  • Options
    Yes, let's please leave any racism out of this, as that is not the point. The point is that a dealer was thoughtful enough to recognize the victim's coin flips and took action, and the thieves were apprehended, and the victim will get his coins back. This doesn't happen very often, and we dealers are very grateful for an ending like this!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Great post.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThePennyLady

I think this will work.

My friend is the dealer who realized these two guys were trying to sell the coins stolen from Karl's dealer friend. The thieves figured out Karl was on to them and took off, but Karl ran after them and yelled to the security guys to stop them. Then you see in the video one of them tried to bolt and the security guard took him down - looked just like a football tackle! I understand the dealer got most all of his stolen coins back as a result!!

Question for the more knowledgeable here, but why were the dealer's coins returned instead of being kept as evidence until a trial was held and completed?
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to see a thief get caught
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE itimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    no matter what the circumstances, or the story behind them, there is always someone who will cry racism. keep up the good work, the more the racism card is "played" the less effective it becomes
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text Book Tackle!!! I mean my man took the correct angle of pursuit and squared up and took that SOB down baby! Great Tackle! Looked like a d-lineman for the NY Jets!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, let's please leave any racism out of this, as that is not the point. The point is that a dealer was thoughtful enough to recognize the victim's coin flips and took action, and the thieves were apprehended, and the victim will get his coins back. This doesn't happen very often, and we dealers are very grateful for an ending like this!

The perpetrator description needs to include his race be properly identified.. is It sorry to have a black caught as the thief ?? ..racism ?? LOLimage

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN
    I think this will work.

Question for the more knowledgeable here, but why were the dealer's coins returned instead of being kept as evidence until a trial was held and completed?

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    'Book'em Dano!'
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bestday

The perpetrator description needs to include his race be properly identified.. is It sorry to have a black caught as the thief ?? ..racism ?? LOLimage

Racism, I can not believe someone can not say something so innocent with out someone saying racism I am tired of the new American way!!!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the guy needed a tazin'
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Looks like the guy needed a tazin'

be careful that could be racism you never know no days and you could make me cry also.
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD
    Text Book Tackle!!! I mean my man took the correct angle of pursuit and squared up and took that SOB down baby! Great Tackle! Looked like a d-lineman for the NY Jets!

The Jets wish their defensive linemen could tackle like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH

That theif didn't think he stood out in a crowd, ya think ?

Super innocent
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

And for those of you who think this was the racist comment, you might want to read the post I was remarking about.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NAILED 'EM !!!!!!

Awesome.

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    So, who was the victimized San Bernardino dealer?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

And for those of you who think this was the racist comment, you might want to read the post I was remarking about.

I think the whole point that was made was that the guy stuck out due to his appearance and his dress. The theif was foolish not to realize that he would be drawing a lot of attention.

Now can we please drop this political back-and-forth?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: planetsteve

I think the whole point that was made was that the guy stuck out due to his appearance and his dress. The theif was foolish not to realize that he would be drawing a lot of attention.

+ 10

• Options
    Originally posted by: planetsteve

The whole point that he stood out because he was "like the only African American in the room" regardless of how he was dressed was not only racist, but incorrect. There are tons of African Americans in the room at any given time in Long beach. Many with more money to buy expensive coins than half the members of this forum.

Of course you are right, it shouldn't have been brought up, but once it was, I felt the need to make a smart "***" remark to call attention to a ridiculous statement.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, Charmy. And you are absolutely right. I'm just glad it ended well and kudos to the security guy who made the tackle. He must have played some football along the way.

Still, you've gotta question this thief's fashion sense! I don't know about you, but it's been a long time since I woke up and said to myself, "Why not orange?"

Tom

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play stupid games - win stupid prizes.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

regardless of how he was dressed was not only racist, but incorrect.

Did he at least have a mustard stain anywhere?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigjpst quote.....

There are tons of African Americans in the room at any given time in Long beach. Many with more money to buy expensive coins than half the members of this forum.

Good to know you aren't racist. Also good to know you have profiled all the members here and know their financial situation and how much they have to buy coins.

Hypocrite comes to mind IMO.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    regardless of how he was dressed was not only racist, but incorrect.

Did he at least have a mustard stain anywhere?

...or BBQ sauce??? Cause he got smoked like a brisket on his way out image

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome win for the good guys!

Love to see this happen, and the bad guys taken into custody.

And to the person that wanted to make this about race, it must be pointed out that it looks like the main good guys was African American. It also looks like a diverse attendance at the show, so not sure why any one race would stand out, or seem out of place there.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    >>His alleged accomplice is then stopped at the door while carrying a backpack with a reported $300,000 in rare coins believed stolen in an earlier theft in the San Bernardino, California area

Things that make me say huh
  • Options
    Originally posted by: stman

bigjpst quote.....

There are tons of African Americans in the room at any given time in Long beach. Many with more money to buy expensive coins than half the members of this forum.

Also good to know you have profiled all the members here and know their financial situation and how much they have to buy coins.

Hypocrite comes to mind IMO.

There you go, feel better now.image

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    >>His alleged accomplice is then stopped at the door while carrying a backpack with a reported $300,000 in rare coins believed stolen in an earlier theft in the San Bernardino, California area

Things that make me say huh

I think this makes sense. It sounds like they were not trying to steal at the show, but were fencing property they had already stolen. Probably not the smartest thing to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tomthecoinguy

Awesome win for the good guys!

Love to see this happen, and the bad guys taken into custody.

And to the person that wanted to make this about race, it must be pointed out that it looks like the main good guys was African American. It also looks like a diverse attendance at the show, so not sure why any one race would stand out, or seem out of place there.

yes it was man he was quick on the feet.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These security dudes are going to be in-demand after this if they're not already. Nice to see them chase and tackle. Way more initiative than the average mall cop I would think.

Attach this video clip to your resume. 'Nough said.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool. I love to see the bag guys get smashed on the ground.
    Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file