Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Target toned baby just arrived today.....

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2017 11:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum
O
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a guy here about 10 years ago that heated up a complete modern commemorative set and submitted them to PCGS.

He was very proud of his accomplishment and said if he included more than one in a submission they would get BB'd. But if there was only one, then he'd get a PR68DCAM.

He spent tens of thousands of dollars for a complete set of golden toned moderns and thought he had fooled PCGS into grading them.

It turned out, the joke was on him.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it, only submit one at a time....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    There was a guy here about 10 years ago that heated up a complete modern commemorative set and submitted them to PCGS.

He was very proud of his accomplishment and said if he included more than one in a submission they would get BB'd. But if there was only one, then he'd get a PR68DCAM.

He spent tens of thousands of dollars for a complete set of golden toned moderns and thought he had fooled PCGS into grading them.

PCGS rejected all of them?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

I honestly think he used a frying pan, if memory serves me correctly. Each was a golden- some more attractive than others (almost as if some had been gold plated).

I don't recall how he sent them in, but I am sure you're right: no way he could have done more than just a few- if that- at a time, mixing his submission with other coins, I believe.

Didn't he also feature them in a Registry?
    I do remember being intrigued and a bit impressed with his slight gloating on "pulling one over on PCGS".

Any speculation on where those coins are now?

peacockcoins

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was the oven.

Regrettably, I think the thread was nuked at some point.

Yes, I do believe he did a registry set for them as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recollection was also that the user employed a frying pan and that he had greater success if he only included one or two pan fried coins per submission when they were mixed in with uncooked coins. He also spent an enormous amount on submission fees to build a complete registry set and, if I recall correctly, was rather surprised that not everyone thought his set as cool as he thought it to be.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone recall if the registry had a name?

Skillet Set?

Xtra Crispy?

Rangetop Royalty?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toasty Tarnish?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot Plate Harold
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulled out some "westward journey" nickels in cardboard holders for a gal who's started a type set using the new Intercept Shield book. The toning was beautiful. Coins tone nicely, sometimes. Sometimes not. Commemorative coins are looked at differently, by so many.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the toning looks better than those images show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file