Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You have 100 Million and ten years: Could you corner the 1909-S VDB Market?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's say to win a bet you have to own 90% or greater of all the known 1909-S VDB cents out there. You have a single decade to complete this mission along with $100,000,000.00 to do so with (better budget carefully...).

Could this be accomplished? What would be the strongest impediments?
I'd think you would want to conduct this experiment in secret, yet could you do so?

How would you go about getting this wager won?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I thought I had 100,000,010 years.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not undertake the bet given the likelihood of the undiscovered surviving population

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance.
  • Options
    Not a chance.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably. You would have to run a campaign. Put an add on every newspaper, magazine, billboard, cram all the search engines and popular news sites. Hire a ton of people to answer calls, emails, etc. tell them you are paying a small premium. And roll the dice. We wouldn't need 10 years!

That took about 2 minutes for me to come up with......sorry, stupid.??
  • Options
    With a population of 484,000 minted you would need to buy 435,600. That equals out to $229.57 a piece. Provided there are many that will cost multiples of that and once people found out you had 40%+ they would not be for sale or would be an asking an insane amount. If you do what commemking says and advertise in every newspaper, magazine and billboard you would run out of money so fast you wouldn't even have a chance. It isn't even close to possible, there are so many more barriers this is just the beginning.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you could.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it before......
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    No, too many collectors will not sell. The population is too wide spread. You could do it if they were held in a few hands that wanted to sell and not spread all over the place.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could.

1st, how would you know if you achieved the goal? Not 435K as many are gone. Based on how many are G4 and below, somehow, someway, they circulated long and hard, and got lost, etc.

If you troll the lower end, you will soak up the cheaper ones, driving out the "common people" til it is just MS64 and up, who are owned by those who are more motivated by possession than money. Buy a group, especially of the top pops for control.

BUT, here is how you will make it:

Announce you have 200,000 of them, show pictures of piles of coins, piles of slabs, have reliable people go look at your stash, roll around in it, etc. Later, insider information gets to places like Heritage, PCGS, CAC that the eccentric owner of 1/2 the rarest Lincoln Cent ever made, has (insert incurable disease) and they will be auctioned off over a 1 year period, no reserve after his death. Many of those who were holding, see the steady run up, will dump their coins, knowing in 12 months, a BOATLOAD will be hitting the market, prices will drop like a Led Zeppelin, and they KNOW that they can sell theirs NOW before the word gets out, and buy back a better one for 1/2 that amount, including a shot at one of 17 of the top 23.

Execute buying frenzy using facades of fake companies, and Top Out Mount Everest.

I do know a person that send 1/4 of the total mintage (IIRC, might have been more) of a particular date proof coin of a SA country, where, how, do not know, the person had gotten them, I do not know.

The dealer wrestled with wiping out so many at once, but when silver went north of, maybe $45 a few years ago, they were melted,

Related, I read a book around 1982, about Morgan Dollars, after the big melt of 79 - 80, where a dealer empirically began deriving surviving populations for various dates / mm. This was started because he was finding that certain date / mm that were not rare, but were not common, were a lot harder to find than should have been. He would put offers out on (whatever the wire service was back then) cruise shows, etc. trying to see if the current SELL price really was valid or if it was such a thin marker for particular ones, that the REAL price should be much higher, due to a higher proportion of coins hitting the smelter. It was not the 1921 type coins, since scads of them went, it was the coins that MAYBE were worth 25X face in BU when a 1921 was worth $5, until they all were worth $38 in melt. So those coins, saved from previous melts, suddenly dislodged from years of holdings, albums, etc. and became melt fodder.

IIRC, he made a lot of money with his empirically derived "real" values for oddball dates / mm
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mustangmanbob

I think you could.

1st, how would you know if you achieved the goal? Not 435K as many are gone. Based on how many are G4 and below, somehow, someway, they circulated long and hard, and got lost, etc.

If you troll the lower end, you will soak up the cheaper ones, driving out the "common people" til it is just MS64 and up, who are owned by those who are more motivated by possession than money. Buy a group, especially of the top pops for control.

BUT, here is how you will make it:

Announce you have 200,000 of them, show pictures of piles of coins, piles of slabs, have reliable people go look at your stash, roll around in it, etc. Later, insider information gets to places like Heritage, PCGS, CAC that the eccentric owner of 1/2 the rarest Lincoln Cent ever made, has (insert incurable disease) and they will be auctioned off over a 1 year period, no reserve after his death. Many of those who were holding, see the steady run up, will dump their coins, knowing in 12 months, a BOATLOAD will be hitting the market, prices will drop like a Led Zeppelin, and they KNOW that they can sell theirs NOW before the word gets out, and buy back a better one for 1/2 that amount, including a shot at one of 17 of the top 23.

Execute buying frenzy using facades of fake companies, and Top Out Mount Everest.

I do know a person that send 1/4 of the total mintage (IIRC, might have been more) of a particular date proof coin of a SA country, where, how, do not know, the person had gotten them, I do not know.

The dealer wrestled with wiping out so many at once, but when silver went north of, maybe $45 a few years ago, they were melted,

Related, I read a book around 1982, about Morgan Dollars, after the big melt of 79 - 80, where a dealer empirically began deriving surviving populations for various dates / mm. This was started because he was finding that certain date / mm that were not rare, but were not common, were a lot harder to find than should have been. He would put offers out on (whatever the wire service was back then) cruise shows, etc. trying to see if the current SELL price really was valid or if it was such a thin marker for particular ones, that the REAL price should be much higher, due to a higher proportion of coins hitting the smelter. It was not the 1921 type coins, since scads of them went, it was the coins that MAYBE were worth 25X face in BU when a 1921 was worth $5, until they all were worth $38 in melt. So those coins, saved from previous melts, suddenly dislodged from years of holdings, albums, etc. and became melt fodder.

IIRC, he made a lot of money with his empirically derived "real" values for oddball dates / mm

This is completely a fantasy, nobody is going to believe you have 200,000 without someone verifying it and looking at it. Think of the Binion collection, he had very deep pockets and acquired 100k silver dollars. Even if only half of them were not lost you would still need 240k so it would be hard to convince people you had 200 of the 240 remaing 09 S VDB.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got $100,000,000 so I'd have no interest in the bet.

I'm busy buying Pogue coins.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, 10 years is not long enough for all collectors who have them to die and have their heirs sell them.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of the issue is exaggerated by the TPGSs and resubmissions, so that is off.

Then, if you go by the minted number, that is not correct as it is doubtful 100% survived.

That said, if one went after them, one should quietly go after the low hanging fruit of availability, then put out some feelers to draw some others out.

Then put out ads.

Then, follow up with ads that state the this is the chance to sell for xxx% of what the coin WAS valued at and that soon, a massive sale will crash the prices, so best to sell now at the top of the market.

That all said, I don't think 90% is doable but I do think a lot of the "I won't sell" WILL sell if the price is 3x, 4x, 5x "value"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming 150,000 survivors, you could pay no more than an average of $700 per coin to round up 90% of the survivors and stay within budget. That's already the price of a decent circulated specimen. Attempting to corner the market would drive prices further north, way before you obtained 90% of the survivors. So the answer to the OP's question is "no".

Another problem is that there may be additional hundreds of thousands of "survivors" if you count the plentiful number of fakes making the rounds of the marketplace and residing in old-time collections.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could literally get them all, except for those lost, then destroy them all but a couple , makes an instant rarity
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of all the counterfeits that would surface! You have a better shot buying up all the 1916 MPLs.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

That's what I thought of too!
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have to buy approximately two rolls of s-VDB's each and every day for those ten years.

$100,000,000/3650 days =$27,397 day spent for 100 pieces or two rolls.

Impossible task since one would not have nearly enough money to garner the required number to corner the market.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'll sell mine.
    Paul
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be an exercise in futility... far better to select a coin with a much lower population... much, much lower and focus on that... quietly... Cheers, Ricko
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    easily
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call gamblers anonymous, anonymously. But don't tell anyone.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One might have better luck trying to corner the 1894-S dime market.A fake '94-S offered should be considerably easier to detect than a fake SVDB.

$100M spent in an attempt to acquire ten coins over 10 years might work if one is discrete about it. Help from dealers who are connected to '94-S dime owners would be necessary.

I'm thinking an offer of $10M for an authentic 1894-S dime would be hard for an owner to walk away from.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I would rather corner the market on any of the low survivor seated dimes, quarters or half dollars. Even the 1908-S Indian cent might be easier. I agree with those that say it could not be done.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't they still making them?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: messydesk

And here I thought I had 100,000,010 years.

Same... image
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't have any problem finding them. You can walk into almost any B&M or show and find at least one (and many more at shows) available.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only could it not be done.......but why would you want to????
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Change the bet to $100,000,000 to buy the five 1913 Liberty V Nickels. Even though the five nickels would all appraise at under a total of $100,000,000, you're going to have increasing trouble buying each successive nickel. The first one you can probably purchase at a reasonable auction price. But the second one will go for a lot more since your first one is off the market. By the time you get to the 5th one, it'll be like trying to buy the only remaining coin in the world because it'll be the only one out there and whoever owns it and other people wanting to own it will raise the price considerably.

Then lets say you're successful at owning all 5. Now selling them you will lose money because you won't be able to benefit from the same scarcity you created when you bought your 5th one.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    You mean like that Chinese guy with the auto dollars?
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    There was a similar thread here several years ago, about cornering the market for 1937 Buffalo nickels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file