Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Motion GIF - Is this one too fast? (1 Second rotation)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
I posted a Dan Carr 2013 Centennial Indian Head Nickel Commemorative a earlier this year in Motion GIF format and I received some constructive criticism about being too fast. I was playing with the program and wanted to see if the forum members thought about the speed of this GIF, 1 second per image rotation. I think that we all could get a different prospective of a coin by see it at different lighting angles though a motion GIF.

(images taken by forum member robec)

Thank you for your interest and comments. image
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way too fast. No details can be looked at. I would say let the viewer decide the speed if there is a desire to see it in another light.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whooooooooaa, slow down or give me a drink!

What is the need?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Here is a 5 Second rotation;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fast GIF is good for showing luster and color - which is what I think the whole point is. If you want to see detail, just use a photo. Personally, I like the speed of your first one!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with a GIF is that the speed is fixed, and no matter what speed you choose, it'll be too fast for some and too slow for others. The ones I've done are 100 msec per frame, I think. Good for showing luster and flash, but if you want to look closely at details, you want a static image. The 1 sec/frame in the OP I find to be too slow for showing the coin's flash, too fast to allow studying details of the coin.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much better for viewing detail on the second one.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go faster than 1-second per frame since the idea of the GIF is more likely to be the ability to show luster or the change in toning rather than to illustrate exquisite detail.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sobering......oh, the same coin, too!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    The faster frame is what I think is better too, kinda like rotating/swiveling the coin in hand to catch the "flash".

I would also agree on if you want details, post separate images.

Here is a 0.5 second rotation;

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like images that change without me changing them.
  • Options
    CRO (John A.) I can definitely appreciate that, being in control of the image(s).

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ...and the Obverse;

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think .5 seconds is just about right.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use a video?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lcoopie

Why not use a video?

I am using the tools that I have readily available (images and GIF maker accessibility).

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like having a regular image and then an option for something like what you have here. If you go that route, you could provide several options of different speeds if it's easy to do. I sort of did that on my website for some of my coins. Just have the regular images, then at the bottom of the listing I'll sometimes have links to alternate photos and sometimes a link to a YouTube video of the coin. Shooting and uploading the videos is a bit time consuming though, so only really do that for some of the coins. I would imagine making these gif files for each coin adds a bit of extra time/work as well.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the .5 second images. That said, not a real fan of these but maybe it would grow on me.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think if you had 8 different images instead of 4 the speed would be less of an issue.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

the coin needs to be absolutely still and never change position relative to the background / crop as the pics cycle. E.G., put your mouse pointer on a star point below the E. Watch it walk around.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben

i think if you had 8 different images instead of 4 the speed would be less of an issue.

+1

That's the first thing that came to mind when I seen the gif. I think the more pictures, the better.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

the coin needs to be absolutely still and never change position relative to the background / crop as the pics cycle. E.G., put your mouse pointer on a star point below the E. Watch it walk around.

I think that it looks pretty darn good for the set-up! The images taken were not intended for the GIF, that is my doing.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    OK. Sorry I mentioned it. Carry on.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is 6 images looping back and forth at 100 msec per frame (10 fps), holding for an additional 100 msec for the starting and ending frame. Luster is easy to see, detail needs a static image.

• Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    OK. Sorry I mentioned it. Carry on.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the fast luster/surface GIF rotation (like messydesk's) with a high-res static image to look at for detail. Either one by itself has limitations.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    That is fantastic for showing the luster, flash, surfaces, etc.

It also gives an interesting perspective of the marks and imperfections.

Since the coin is static in the 5 frames and the light is changing, it is possible to view a small area or a single mark and see how it changes from frame to frame. Some marks change or disappear altogether, while others stay more constant. It gives a unique perspective and shows that any of the single 5 photos, while they may be easier to look at are also slightly misleading.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

I would go faster than 1-second per frame since the idea of the GIF is more likely to be the ability to show luster or the change in toning rather than to illustrate exquisite detail.

This is the correct answer

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what the goals are. I view the GIFs as useful for showing luster and in addition to using still photos needed for showing detail. GIF is smaller than video as I recall and easier to post on a message board.

I like the ones you have just as they are, and prefer the faster speed. Compared to one still photo, it gives a better idea of how the coin looks in person, which is the goal in my view.

More pictures are better for showing luster flow. I found 12 to 18 to work the best. The first one below done as a test and is made up of 15 photos. It was a while ago and I don't recall how it was done, except it was using the free GIMP photo program. I will have to relearn what I did and recall there was room for improvement. It's a lot more work than a still pic but worth it for some coins.

The 2nd one with the Barber Quarter was done with a more primitive camera and uneven cropping.

Also they can be shut off by hitting escape for those that don't like them.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: messydesk

This is 6 images looping back and forth at 100 msec per frame (10 fps), holding for an additional 100 msec for the starting and ending frame. Luster is easy to see, detail needs a static image.

now, that is cool!

the only thing that could make it better would be a pause and a slider that would allow me to slide between images, something like epcjimi1 mentions. of course, i could do that with a GIF editor or preview on mac
  • Options

image That is a very nice presentation! image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the YouTube version live image
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks best to me of the examples shown

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The .5 second .gif is good.... I like what messydesk did with the gold coin...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

I like this one better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file