Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone get back into coins thanks to the internet?

I collected coins as a child, and like many, took a long break from that as a young adult when I had other things going on. But in the early days of Ebay I ran across the coins category by accident, and to make a long story short, I am now heavily involved in collecting and vest pocket dealing again.

Anyone else have a similar story of how you got back into coins?
Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep got divorced back then to.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The internet woke up the geek in me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    The internet woke up the geek in me.

Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Inet certainly REkindled my ....COLLECTOR.... interest that had lain dormant as a result of too many years as a B&M dealer being exposed to the stupidity of the public and the dearth of ANYTHING good ever coming over the counter.

Forums like this and dealer websites have condensed location of coins to a simple matter.

And WITHOUT the "does it have a V where the U should be?"

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a coin business because of the internet.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I had about a 15 year break and was bored one night, dug out my old coins I had as a kid, was looking up more info on some world coins and one thing led to another and got back into collecting regularly.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have any without the internet.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Similar for me. Collected as a kid and young adult, but only from whatever I could find in my change, filling Whitman folders, etc. Then I discovered Ebay in it's early days and I started buying coins. Been addictive since, although I go in spurts of interest and activity.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The internet was revolutionary.

We would not be able to collect at the level that we do without it.

It was instrumental in rekindling and facilitating the collector in all of us.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.

Into coins as a kid....ripped off too many times by local shop, lost interest in HS and then went into the army, college, work, etc....

Had a kid and wanted to commemorate the date...got onto ebay for some coins and got rehooked because of how easy it was and I didn't (luckily) get ripped off like I did from the old B&M where I grew up.

Without the ease of internet coin shopping, and not knowing any "local" ones where I was, I wouldn't have gotten back into them.

Of course, if I hadn't gotten into coins again, I could probably have paid that house off back then image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Count me in. Never set foot in a B&M or to a show until after I got involved again via eBay. Now, I look at eBay very rarely.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: clarkbar04
    I wouldn't have any without the internet.

Same here. I do not have much time to go to coins shows. Wish I did though. Going to try to make it to Long Beach.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several people who can agree with the OP question...and you can count me among them.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sold that Cheerios Sacagawea off my website .... $12K in a private sale, but a public proclamation. Thank you PCGS, too. Ebay ? That's another nightmare.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    No but the internet has certainly changed my business forever ( for the better )

Thank you to the internet image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely! Once Ebay started I was shocked to see coins I never even saw in a dealers shop. And there in front of me was the availability of just about every example of most series.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say that I got back into it because of the internet, but I did get way more into it and became a more sophisticated collector and numismatist because of it.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: messydesk

I can't say that I got back into it because of the internet, but I did get way more into it and became a more sophisticated collector and numismatist because of it.

The Sac dollar brought me back and from there.....what he said.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah.
    I collected as a kid and stopped in my 20's due to life.

About 1999 I was looking for an 8mm projector for old home movies so I found one on eBay (my first purchase).

I saw they had coins for sale. As a kid I always wanted a $2.50 Gold Indian but couldn't afford one. That was one of the first coins I bought on eBay.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got back into it because of the Internet. I was floored by the Battle Creek Morgan Dollars as I had never seen coins like that before.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've collected off and on since i was 7 years old. The last time I collected, I was in my late 20's and used to hit Washington DC coin shows with a friend. Then I went back to grad school, had no disposable money, and stopped collecting.

I got back into collecting about 14 years ago because I wanted to buy a bicycle that would fit me (I'm 6'5"). A bike dealer suggested I try looking on EBay for a large frame bike. I had never been on Ebay before, but I quickly purchased two large framed bikes. Then I checked out what they had for coins...wow! With disposable income available to me now, I started buying coins again. The first night, I went on a crazy coin buying spree, buying things I don't really collect only because it was fun to win an auction. It was a blast and I became hooked again.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely! I started collecting when I was about 12 years old filling Whitman folders from my grandfather's loose change stash. My father and I took a shot at running a small B&M when I was in high school but it only lasted a few years until he got back into construction. I took a coin collecting break in college and the first 10 years of marriage and kept most of my collection stored away in a closet, but re-caught the fever a few years before the internet took off. Once the Bay came online I joined in 1998 and I've been back into coins full time ever since. The internet is a blessing and a curse (if you know what I mean!). I'm still married though to a wife who has learned that my good points outweigh my faults (aka collecting addiction).
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never really took a break from collecting - though there were some low points along the way.

With the internet, I have expanded my knowledge of coins, grown my collection in some areas, and made many new acquaintances. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file