Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scott Travers will be a guest lecturer at the Gold Coast Coin Club of Long Island meeting TONIGHT Ju

He will be speaking on the subject of vintage type coins and whether they will ever come back to their heyday (paraphrasing of course). He will also be giving out copies of his book(s)

Meeting is at 7pm at Angelina's Italian restaurant at 29 Hillside ave in E. Williston, NY

It is walking distance from the east Williston train station on the oyster bay line on the LIRR

Please note that this is a dinner meeting and participants pay their share for the meal.

Pm Me if you intend to attend,

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It's the wrong side of the country for me, but congratulations on getting him as a speaker.image
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Curious if we can increase our turnout
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe they will be coming back........it sounds like a fascinating book though.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I lived nearby. Great opportunity for collectors who are local
  • Options
    Ttt
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: superpsychmd

He will be speaking on the subject of vintage type coins and whether they will ever come back to their heyday (paraphrasing of course)....

I wonder if he means choice and gem classic type coins, commems, silver dollars, etc.? Most of those did peak back in 1989-1990.

But, if we are looking at tried and true circulated classic/vintage coins, type coins and scarcer dates, even up to grades up 61/62 where the investment promotions have been largely kept at bay I'd say the majority of those are still in their heyday. Typical collector vs. investor/dealer/speculator heydays are quite different.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Well very roadrunner, maybe you will have to come to our club meeting on June 1 and see what he has to say!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have heard him speak at the FUN along with Maurice Rosen.

Mr. Rosen was quite informative.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Any relation to Pat? FWIW, I own a '65 stop tail, two pickup Gibson MM.

• Options
    Excuse me, but who is Pat and what about the Gibson guitar? You sure you aren't on the wrong thread?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    yeah, sorry, wrong forum, my bad
  • Options
    No problem. I thought maybe the Claritin-d I'm taking for allergies was making me delirious or something. LOL
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott Travers' info

I'll be at the meeting and am looking forward to meeting him.

(I do not think he has any relationship to the guitarist Pat Travers, but could always ask.)
  • Options
    Ok, Nap, please ask him that question. Funny I never heard of Pat Travers before...
  • Options
    Ttt
  • Options
    A week from today? Who is attending?
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    so is anyone coming to see Scott Travers at the Gold Coast Coin Club of LI meeting this Wed nite?
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

Have heard him speak at the FUN along with Maurice Rosen.

Mr. Rosen was quite informative.

Is there a hidden message here? image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    No. Scott is a fine speaker and will answer any and all questions about coins. It is a great opportunity to meet him and visit our coin club.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Scott is a fine speaker and will answer any and all questions about coins. It is a great opportunity to meet him and visit our coin club.

I have a book or two of his and have no doubt that it will be an awesome evening.

Looking forward to your report.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    No problem. Too bad you can't attend. Dave
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Travers is an excellent writer, a good speaker and one of the more ethical dealers. I suggest that all collectors in Long Island make an effort to attend.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    Ye olde bump
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

People who cannot attend should consider purchasing the The Coin Collector's Survival Manual, which I do not hesitate to recommend. I cite this book in many articles, including an article last year on coin doctoring. Travers has included educational discussions of coin doctoring in all editions, starting with the first in 1984! Scott is the leader in protecting coin collectors from unfair dealers and sales tactics.

The Specter of Coin Doctoring and The Survival of Great Coins

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    TCCSM has lots of interesting subjects not discussed elsewhere BUT as mentioned the "Revised version" consisted of a few new items copy and paste with most sections verbatim from previous versions.

Items such as proof sets values and discussion quoted 1999 and 2004 for book published in 2010 and like other stuff not revised etc for the latest book making those sections irrelevant .

Guess wont hold my breath expecting a complete revision of book.image
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott Travers is an excellent speaker and one of the top coin guys out there. Anyone that hasnt heard him speak and lives nearby should attend. The coin Collector's Survival Manual is a must read for anyone collecting coins.

Scott is willing to share his knowledge of coins and the inside works of the hobby and also sharing his books with others.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    Tonight!
  • Options
    Scott gave an entertaining presentation about modern and vintage coins. We each received the latest editions of his books. Thanks again to Scott!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    How was the turnout?

• Options
    Surprisingly small. Seems like people are losing interest in coins, ANA membership is down
  • Options
    I gave a presentation at my hometown library last spring and about 60 people showed up, which to me seemed like a good-sized audience. Filled up the main area of the small-town public library. The next day I did a follow-up "road show" where people could bring in their coins and collectibles and learn about them. About 10 or 12 showed up to the second event, including some who couldn't make the Friday night presentation. I had a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Sounds like a blast. Maybe you should start a coin club in your area since you had a robust turnout. I don't understand why on the north Shore ol long island, a somewhat affluent area, there aren't more people who would be interested in coins and collecting
  • Options
    Sounds like a blast. Maybe you should start a coin club in your area since you had a robust turnout. I don't understand why on the north Shore ol long island, a somewhat affluent area, there aren't more people who would be interested in coins and collecting

I don't live there any more, otherwise I might do just that!

Here's an article about the presentation: "Books and Coins Road Show in Phoenix, New York"

I enjoyed hearing people's stories about their coins that Saturday. One family brought in a small collection of commemorative half dollars that the husband's father (a dentist) had put away in the 1930s. They were in their original envelopes and packaging. There was a 1700s Spanish-American 4-reales in remarkable condition. A young collector (probably about seven years old) brought in his collection. I saw half cents, large cents, old Canadian coins (not surprising, being so close to Canada), silver dollars, etc. Lots of questions about the value of $2 bills, Eisenhower dollars, and other currency commonly "stashed away" by non-collectors.

A few active collectors attended both events. Most of the audience were casual or non-collectors. There was a good mix of ages, mostly folks in their 40s to 60s, but some older and also some younger (including kids).

The Friday presentation lasted about two hours, and nearly everyone stayed until the end, through a robust question-and-answer session. Lots of great questions and a very interactive discussion.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprisingly small. Seems like people are losing interest in coins, ANA membership is down

I don't think you can connect the dots

I think ANA membership is down as it is poorly run.

I think Coin Club attendence is down as people have the Internet at their finger tips. Long Island North Shore) is a place once you commuted for the day the last thing you want to do is get in a car and head for a meeting. At least that was my experience there.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    That is an interesting observation. Could it be that Wednesdays are a bad night to meet?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting observation. Could it be that Wednesdays are a bad night to meet?

Maybe reach out to members that have stopped coming or come infrequently to see if a better night or Saturday morning would make a difference. Obviously the current regulars already think Weds are fine. Are all your meetings at 7? Are they all dinner meetings?

I drove from Rosyln (home) to Queens ( work) which is reasonable commute. If I left work at 6pm I might make it home by 7. I'm not sure I would love driving straight from work, delay dinner with the family to go to a coin meeting. Actually, I do know. I wouldn't. Just thinking out loud

Keep up the good fight

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file