Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody think that Johnny Law might be lookin' for this guy ?

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Remember him as the seller of an 1873-CC Arrows quarter about a month ago that smoebody ponied up $6900 for, and he's in the wind. image

Almost $30,000 in bogus sales in less than a month. So much for eBay lookin' out for their consumer base. image

stampsmd eBay feedback - negs piled up real quick for a lotta money no delivery

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coindeuce

Remember him as the seller of an 1873-CC Arrows quarter about a month ago that smoebody ponied up $6900 for, and he's in the wind. image

Almost $30,000 in bogus sales in less than a month. So much for eBay lookin' out for their consumer base. image

Is Paypal/Ebay on the hook for this?

• Options
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty

Technically, you and I are on the hook for this. Who do you think funds the eBay and Paypal fraud insurance pools ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty

They should be. I can't imagine Paypal released all that money but the scammer surely got some of it.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    obviously a recently hacked account who in their right mind is gonna do a four figure deal with a guy that has a feedback rating of 34 ?? "whats that on the roof ... is that santa ?? no it isn't "
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ebaybuyer

who in their right mind is gonna do a four figure deal with a guy that has a feedback rating of 34 ??

Obviously at least 8 guppies, who deserve no sympathy when they most likely have the attitude that they are willing to gamble on a "too good to be true" deal, because after all they have "Buyer Protection" which you and I are paying for.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad.... such scams - outright theft.... and why I do not frequent ebay anymore. I know,

buyer beware... and I can evaluate the picture of a coin as well as anyone (which, in no case, would be 100%). However, there are these other scams.... and even if protected - to some extent- it is worrisome, tedious and upsetting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    obviously a recently hacked account who in their right mind is gonna do a four figure deal with a guy that has a feedback rating of 34 ?? "whats that on the roof ... is that santa ?? no it isn't "

If so, smarter than the typical hacker - multiple rolls of Franklin halves which was sold in past 6 months with positive feedback.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason there is a lot of fraud out there is that it is very profitable.

Plus, eBay isn't the most aggressive pursuer of these criminals, to say the least.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Haven't things happened before like this where the seller was hospitalized or something to that effect. I seem to remember a story like that. I know this one probably is NOT that case, as eBay has already deleted the listings from their history. Just a thought, to play devil's advocate. Either way, that stinks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: davewesen

If so, smarter than the typical hacker - multiple rolls of Franklin halves which was sold in past 6 months with positive feedback.

All of the positives below that neutral feedback was relevant to the legit registered member. Everything from the neutral(including all of the negatives) on up is the activity of the hacker, over the course of the last month.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Very sad.... such scams - outright theft.... and why I do not frequent ebay anymore. I know,

buyer beware... and I can evaluate the picture of a coin as well as anyone (which, in no case, would be 100%). However, there are these other scams.... and even if protected - to some extent- it is worrisome, tedious and upsetting. Cheers, RickO

I can't stay COMPLETELY away from eBay. image

• Options

Thread hijacker alert ! image

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Sad that people were ripped off, but Johnny Law has a lot more important things to do than go after this hack. Plus, the loss is minor compared to cyber fraud schemes LE sees on a daily basis. Unless this hack could be tied to other hacks, the loss on this one account wouldn't even hit the loss threshold for most agencies to spend time on it.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Wow! Simply amazing in so many ways.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaleElf
    Sad that people were ripped off, but Johnny Law has a lot more important things to do than go after this hack. Plus, the loss is minor compared to cyber fraud schemes LE sees on a daily basis. Unless this hack could be tied to other hacks, the loss on this one account wouldn't even hit the loss threshold for most agencies to spend time on it.

How true..."Penny Ante" stuff compared to recent multi million $ cyber heists ... Caveat Emptor...If it's to good to be true, it usually is. The Jury is still out on this one being watched in the PM forum, but you'd be amazed the number of members who would have taken a chance. Greed is a terrible impulse.

Good deal or possible fraud?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good, VERY good!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch image
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hornswoggled" lol. Haven't heard that one before.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf
    Originally posted by: ricko

I can't stay COMPLETELY away from eBay. image

WHat is the story with this and eBay?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mach1ne
    "Hornswoggled" lol. Haven't heard that one before.

An example right from the dictionary.

Examples of hornswoggle in a sentence

"I think we've been hornswoggled by that carnival barker."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file