Home U.S. Coin Forum

Trump is winning because he is not PC. Let's talk in non-PC coin terms.

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doctors?

58 vs. 62?

Lasered proof gold?

Natural toning?

"Done Deals?"

Blue Indian Proofs?

Let's hear it. You guys need to speak the truth for a change.
Doug

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura spoke the truth and won her election image
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't want to hear the truth, lol
    Doug
    Can we have a sober moment about the coin biz?
    Doug
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin show circuit will look completely different in a few years. Less shows/venues. The current structure is a joke and unsustainable. Shows are too frequent and some last a month.

Dealers polish up those websites and maybe organize a few well placed smaller boutique shows in places people actually want to go to.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

The coin show circuit will look completely different in a few years. Less shows/venues. The current structure is a joke and unsustainable. Shows are too frequent and some last a month.

Dealers polish up those websites and maybe organize a few well placed smaller boutique shows in places people actually want to go to.

mark

I'm with you brother. You are very correct!

Doug
    Take the varieties for instance ... With the 1856 coins, I have both 64's and the 62. Those are the only graded above 60. Will one upgrade? I don't know but I know it will be mine.
    Doug
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't hear much about 'sliders' any more.

I guess those are "+" designations now in the PC world.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, I've been saying the same thing for maybe 10 years and it hasn't changed yet. there is a social aspect of coin shows, for both dealers and collectors, that works well enough to continue the trend. the onus is upon dealers to show that there are too many shows and that there should be more a more diverse selection of locations, but I really don't expect that to happen. I believe that if 50 dealers knew they could go to an out-of-the-way location to do business with each other that they would go, and when the public learned of the "show" that they would magically appear. it most likely wouldn't work the other way.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Great comments are forthcoming.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely agree on "too many coin shows", there are the usual local shows which I am sure that everyone could attend in their localized area. There should be a fewer Major shows, maybe one a month, and no longer than a week in duration. Do we really need more than one Baltimore, MD show per year? Florida? California? Chicago? Dallas? Dealers are spread pretty thin I would imagine, and are away from their offices too much to deal with phone-in customers or reply back to email inquiries in a timely manner.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peacock Ikes.

peacockcoins

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no local shows in my area... and there are coin collectors. No national shows since this area is not a major tourist destination. I did not know there were PC coin terms... well, yeah, maybe 'toning' instead of 'tarnish'...image Cheers, RickO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Economic catastrophe
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TRUTH is, that for most coin Collectors, Numismatics will be a losing proposition when they sell. Yes, there are exceptions, as in long held collections, or an occasional cherry pick.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Grading is truly subjective; sometimes 58=62 and 62=58. At times, 62 can be replaced with 61 or 63.

- Anything graded MS-65 or higher should *never* be ugly. or have negative eye appeal. Try not to collect these, they are always ugly at selling time.

- Dealers or sellers that pooh-pooh the 'millennials' are aiding in killing the hobby. The constant conspiracy grouch in perpetual misery might have been fine decades ago, but is a poor numismatic ambassador in today's social media world.

- There is really no excuse anymore to lack basic photography skills for taking coin images.

- Not taking flexible forms of payment at a show is becoming archaic. Yes, it's your business and you can say cash only, but how much money are you leaving behind by being inflexible?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Definitely agree on "too many coin shows", there are the usual local shows which I am sure that everyone could attend in their localized area. There should be a fewer Major shows, maybe one a month, and no longer than a week in duration. Do we really need more than one Baltimore, MD show per year? Florida? California? Chicago? Dallas? Dealers are spread pretty thin I would imagine, and are away from their offices too much to deal with phone-in customers or reply back to email inquiries in a timely manner.

Three shows a year is barely enough. This is the only national show in this area.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading is way over rated

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

Ungraded moderns are way underrated.

BTW, waitta slip and slide your political support into the thread title, DMWJR!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

Amen

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are on 5 major shows....FUN, Central States, Long Beach and Baltimore and ANA a year.
    And these are all 4 or 5 day shows except for ANA.

I don't understand this statement.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mr1874

mark

Amen

No it isn't. Mark is one of my favorite people here on these boards but I gotta disagree here on this note.

Carry on....

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln penny collectors have low energy.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baltimore: three that I saw this year; April, July, Nov 2016

There LOTS of coin shows going on throughout the country, some major, mostly smaller..."just a pecking on the surface";

ERROR 113!!!!!!

Just place your state in place of "XX"

http://www.coinzip.com/index.php?state=XX
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

There are on 5 major shows....FUN, Central States, Long Beach and Baltimore and ANA a year.

Aren't there three Long Beach shows, two FUN shows, two Baltimore shows, two ANA shows, and a whole pile of PCGS invitationals (arguably not major shows) along with the others you listed???

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cash is good. Switching to other forms of payment will merely speed up the decline of the hobby by moving us to a system in which the big financial institutions squeeze a percentage from every transaction and eventually eliminate the use of coins altogether. Once coins are gone from usage the hobby will decline at a very rapid pace. Don't be surprised if this happens in the next quarter century.
    All glory is fleeting.
    Originally posted by: BryceM

Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Aren't there three Long Beach shows, two FUN shows, two Baltimore shows, two ANA shows, and a whole pile of PCGS invitationals (arguably not major shows) along with the others you listed???

There are three Baltimore shows.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TRUTH is, MS70 has purpled a lot of copper. Some seem oblivious to this.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grumpy old men and snobby dealers steer YN's away from the hobby. Be nice, treat us "Millenials" with respect, teach us something (yes, we like to learn despite what you hear) and promote the hobby...you're going to need us to buy your coins some day!
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There IS an inner circle.

Originally posted by: DNADave

There IS an inner circle.

Yup. It's called "The Circle of Trust". There's also a "Circle of Rust". Guess which one I belong to.image

There are a lot of people making a living on the backs of collectors......

Try being a collector without coin dealers. They provide a service that facilitates collecting.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Try being a collector without coin dealers. They provide a service that facilitates collecting.

That may be true, but a lot of them are also quite ignorant and sleazy.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658

SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave

Grumpy old men and snobby dealers steer YN's away from the hobby. Be nice, treat us "Millenials" with respect, teach us something (yes, we like to learn despite what you hear) and promote the hobby...you're going to need us to buy your coins some day!

Coin dealers have been grumpy and old since coin dealers were invented by Croesus.

Originally posted by: brg5658

From my experience most are not that way.

• CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    At the really big shows, backroom deals are made for cash. Collectors should be able to get in the action, with all coins out in the open. Let's make numismatics great again.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

mark

With the instant info traveling at anyone's finger tips .. yes ...it is the start of the end of coin shows . but still nice to go
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.

Let's see, what would be politically incorrect,

Did we really need to sign into law 50,000 $5 pink gold coins (approximately 75%, gold, 20% copper, and 5% silver) in 2018 to provide a $35 donation for breast cancer? It is a good cause, and I am fine with anyone who wants to, to donate all they want, but to force it on modern gold coin commemorative collectors it is a bit much IMO. Why not also make a $1.00 stamp with a pink ribbon that could be issued now for those that want them that is good for a 47 cent or First Class mail letter Forever and let those profits go there as well? Or maybe they already did as I don't follow stamps much?
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Hmm.

Let's see, what would be politically incorrect,

Did we really need to sign into law 50,000 $5 pink gold coins (approximately 75%, gold, 20% copper, and 5% silver) in 2018 to provide a $35 donation for breast cancer? It is a good cause, and I am fine with anyone who wants to, to donate all they want, but to force it on modern gold coin commemorative collectors it is a bit much IMO. Why not also make a $1.00 stamp with a pink ribbon that could be issued now for those that want them that is good for a 47 cent or First Class mail letter Forever and let those profits go there as well? Or maybe they already did as I don't follow stamps much?

Of course you don't have to buy it if you don't want
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Of course you don't have to buy it if you don't want"

Very true, but since I collect them, I will buy it, but it is a trend that seems to be increasing to use coins for charity.

There were approximately 41,000 deaths to women and about 400 men died in 2012 from breast cancer and it is something that needs to be studied more and I am totally supportive. There are 27,000 men that died in 2012 of prostate cancer as well.

Hardly ever see much about research money for them, but maybe we can get one in blue platinum/palladium alloy in 2019, just to be fair.

I am pretty sure if Hillary gets into office she will extend the immensely popular First Spouse gold coins to include her husband, and I will have to buy that coin as well.image

What makes you think I was referring to coin dealers? They weren't who I had in mind!

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure if Hillary gets into office she will extend the immensely popular First Spouse gold coins to include her husband, and I will have to buy that coin as well.image

Awesome. image

What makes you think I was referring to coin dealers? They weren't who I had in mind!

CAC?image

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timely thread! image
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

CAC?image

First Strike? Signature Tabs? Retro OGC?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand politically correct. What is the meaning of that in numismatics ? Susan B. Anthony vs. the Shoshone woman ?
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Politically correct is not dissing SBA or Sacagewea. Disrespect Andrew Jackson instead. Or any forefather who owned slaves. That's PC.

I'm surprised at you, Joe.

Lance.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

First louse?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file