Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Do We Get This Label on the 2016-W Mercury Dime

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $499.95, it looks like it can be yours. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658

For $499.95, it looks like it can be yours. image

Actually the price has been reduced to $419.42
    GrandAm :)
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably need to submit in bulk
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    Originally posted by: blu62vette

Probably need to submit in bulk

The eBay description says the label is exclusive to this seller.
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone be exclusive with PCGS or do they require a minimum submission to give you your own label, or a minimum dollar amount of business?
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Frist, cut a deal with David to have him create and sign special insert labels.

Then you are good to go.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: younique

Can anyone be exclusive with PCGS or do they require a minimum submission to give you your own label, or a minimum dollar amount of business?

The "retro" doily was an exclusive.
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    Frist, cut a deal with David to have him create and sign special insert labels.

Then you are good to go.

David:

Can you help me out here?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this the other day and thought it was pretty cool:

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Younique.

The David Hall insert for the Gold Mercury Dime you posted here is from the ebay offering of my son Justin under his eBay handle "Monstercoinmart". As mentioned above, you can easily purchase one from Justin for less than $420 on ebay. Or, I would be happy to arrange for your purchase of the coin for even less money off ebay if you simply send me a PM here. I agree that it is a very cool insert and Justin has priced the coin at a very modest roughly 10% premium to what the regular 70FS labels are selling for.

If you research what PCGS autograph labels with special coin numbers typically bring in the marketplace on gold coins (e.g. Moy, Mercanti, etc), I believe you will see that the roughly 10% premium is almost unheard of. It is almost always a much higher premium. Not to mention, this is what I consider to be THE premier signature in the hobby today from the founder of PCGS. But, my bias certainly shows with that statement (as does my respect for DH).

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am not a label collector, one signed by David Hall would indeed be a nice addition to

a collection. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FIFO is like
    "fee FIFO fum,... "
    I just gotta get me one.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the "Have Fun with Your Coins" line better than the signature.
    By the way, I see the OP linked to the older auction at the higher price. The auction where the coin is priced below $420 is eBay auction # 162056728754.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Wondercoin,

Is each label actually "LIVE" signed or is it a computer generated copy?
    DH signs each one by hand as far as I know. With everything else he oversees, I understand that it takes a great deal of his time to accomplish these signings. I know Justin feels it is an honor to offer DH's hand signed inserts on ebay. He had rarely signed any coins in the previous (30) years.

Wondercoin
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    Hi Younique.

The David Hall insert for the Gold Mercury Dime you posted here is from the ebay offering of my son Justin under his eBay handle "Monstercoinmart". As mentioned above, you can easily purchase one from Justin for less than $420 on ebay. Or, I would be happy to arrange for your purchase of the coin for even less money off ebay if you simply send me a PM here. I agree that it is a very cool insert and Justin has priced the coin at a very modest roughly 10% premium to what the regular 70FS labels are selling for.

If you research what PCGS autograph labels with special coin numbers typically bring in the marketplace on gold coins (e.g. Moy, Mercanti, etc), I believe you will see that the roughly 10% premium is almost unheard of. It is almost always a much higher premium. Not to mention, this is what I consider to be THE premier signature in the hobby today from the founder of PCGS. But, my bias certainly shows with that statement (as does my respect for DH).

Wondercoin.

Mitch:

Thanks for your response. Just wondered how Monstercoinmart was offering a David Hall Insert label which wasn't available to the general public on the recently released Mercury. Noticed on the 1977-S Clad Eisenhower Dollar PCGS PR70DCAM Monstercoinmart has available on Ebay, it also has the signed DH label zsAAOSwubRXFeiN">Text

We have never had an interest in purchasing any modern for a premium, simply wonder how these "exclusive" labels become available to select individuals.

If you search for "David Hall Autograph" you'll find a number of different types on the bay including this nice UHR which shows up under related items. It's a pretty nice approach IMHO. It would be neat to see these for others at PCGS including Don, Phil, Ron, etc.

Younique. A number of dealers have special inserts tied to the Gold Mercury Dimes in prearranged deals with PCGS. I can see upwards of 8 different labels at this point already tied to special deals, not even counting my approved DH signed insert deal. The reason you don't see any of them is because they are not being offered on ebay, at least at this point. I chose to offer my DH inserts on ebay through Monstercoinmart, which is why you see those. I could have elected to "telemarket" or very privately market my special label if I wanted to, but decided to offer it for a very tiny premium to everyone on ebay.

As far as I know, any dealer can get a special label from PCGS. All one needs to do is sign off to certain agreed minimum submission requirements. If PCGS approves your deal, you can have an exclusive label for a particular product. For example, I see another company right now on eBay that has an exclusive DH autographed insert deal (and unique label) for the 2016 Mint State Silver Eagle product. And, as I mentioned, there are many special labels already approved for the gold Mercury Dimes far beyond my DH signed insert. So, everything is essentially open to anyone and everyone who is ready to write a check to PCGS for a project. I even personally had an art team create and design for me a very special insert label (approved by PCGS) that I plan to use later this year on a particular product. I think it will be really cool!

I hope this helps you better understand the situation out there with respect to special labels.

Wondercoin.

This may be the insert mentioned by Wondercoin:

Zoins... Yes. That is what I was describing in my last post here. The bottom line ... As far as I can tell business is booming like (quite possibly) never before at PCGS. And, the modern special label part of that business is no exception.

Wondercoin.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently accepting bids for my own personal signature label series.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the theory being that these labels add value to the coin?

Is this because the autograph (say Director Moy) is rare and collectable itself? Or because it shows the provenance of the coin (to use our fav. whipping boys, it was sold by Gold & Silver Pawn of TV 'fame')?

I get that true provenance - a coin traceable to a notable prior owner (Ellsberg, Col. Green, Newman, Pogue) - has some numismatic value, but actual cash?

Traceability to a specific hoard, e.g. Redfield, Binion - seems to add a few $. Or not - the number of recent 'hoards' seems to have erased the premium (Saddle River?).

But why does a custom label offer any of these? It's not as if these specific coins were hand selected by Mr. Hall as the best-of-the-best out of an entire monster box. It's not like Director Moy actually minted the coin with his own hands.

Put me into the "I just don't get it camp".
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    As a share holder of CLCT I please ask you to create as many labels as you can! The more revenue CLCT brings in the more the stock goes up. Yes I like the dividends also!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
    Booger... Not to mention they cost more to slab than typical inserts (on a % basis, quite a bit more). So, added revenue on top of revenue!

Wondercoin.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3

So the theory being that these labels add value to the coin?

Put me into the "I just don't get it camp".

ok, what's worth more to an avid lincoln cent coin collector?

* a nice xf 1955 double die cent you find raw in change.

* the very same coin graded xf45 by ngc

* the very same coin graded xf45 by pcgs

* the very same coin graded xf45 by pcgs with a gold cac sticker

now, to someone who doesn't collect coins...they don't care. but i guarantee one of these will out perform the other at auction.

SO...

labels add value to coins! it all depends on the market for them. you might not be in the market for the special label, but hopefully now you get it.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's cool. Its a certified coin and autograph... image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to have a longer shelf life than a lot of signatures. (just saying)
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben
    ok, what's worth more to an avid lincoln cent coin collector?

* a nice xf 1955 double die cent you find raw in change.
    * the very same coin graded xf45 by ngc
    * the very same coin graded xf45 by pcgs
    * the very same coin graded xf45 by pcgs with a gold cac sticker

now, to someone who doesn't collect coins...they don't care. but i guarantee one of these will out perform the other at auction.

So what? That example is in no way similar to the signed fancy label vs. unsigned regular label of this discussion. The authentication, grading and protection of the slab confirm the value of the coin.

Originally posted by: steveben
    labels add value to coins! it all depends on the market for them. you might not be in the market for the special label, but hopefully now you get it.

Like I said how does a signed label add value?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • There's labels on everything and coins are no different than cars. How does a circle with a little star add 40K to an automobile? Why do people pay thousands for an ugly brown colored purse with gold shaped circles? It's marketing at its best.
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    They have to keep driving revenue. The more you pay for a special label, the more they make. The profit margin on most of the special labels should be nearly 100%. First Strike labels are the same. A special label we pay extra for based on receiving an order within an arbitrary date range. I could see if it actually had something to do with being one of the first coins struck, but a high percentage of special issue production runs are completed before the coin even goes on sale. Another instance was the 2009 High Relief Double Eagle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file