Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At what point does a minor variety become an unimportant variety?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
With all the emphasis on minor varieties there days I'd like to hear what YOU use to determine whether a minor variety is worth bothering with.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

With all the emphasis on minor varieties there days I'd like to hear what YOU use to determine whether a minor variety is worth bothering with.

If you owned one, would you bother with it?

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope those who enjoy this aspect of numismatics prosper and have fun. The really minor varieties have minimal interest for me as I am more interested in history and the context of mintages as opposed to the minting process that produces smaller varieties. It is just a matter of interest.

In some cases, there is a crossover. The 1955 DD Lincoln history is a great example of history dovetailing with a variety (albeit NOT minor) . . since the error coins were bagged and sitting on the dock, entirely susceptible to being recalled, but the Mint officials electing to distribute rather than destroy an entire days production . . . . thinking no one would care or notice.

Great history . . . . and in that case, I love a variety.

Drunner
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    It's not interesting if you have to use a higher power than 10x to see said varieties. They lose their allure at that point.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you need a 10X glass to see it, it's not worthwhile. For some things the magnification factor is lower than that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this sentiment somewhere here recently, which kind of quantifies things:

It's a significant variety if your average collector is willing to actually PAY for it, rather than search and attempt to cherry pick it.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A minor variety becomes an unimportant variety when there is no premium for it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a minor variety to me.......except some DDO's & DDR's.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm into varieties big time but I would concur with the 10X guys. In fact, I might go further and say 5X. If I can't easily see it with my Bausch & Lomb 5x glass I generally disregard it.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is that it becomes so, when Ron Guth says so. I don't know why he had become the authority on the subject of every series, but PCGS says he is, so there you go. He has flipped the 1c 1971 DDO and made it major variety instead of the 1970-s DDO, which has been the major DDO for the last 40 years. I have e-mailed him three times and get no response whatsoever.
    Doug
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DMWJR
    My experience is that it becomes so, when Ron Guth says so. I don't know why he had become the authority on the subject of every series, but PCGS says he is, so there you go. He has flipped the 1c 1971 DDO and made it major variety instead of the 1970-s DDO, which has been the major DDO for the last 40 years. I have e-mailed him three times and get no response whatsoever.

The 70-S is a 1000x better and more appealing than the 71. In fact I would put it just below the 69-S DDO as the modern variety to have in the Lincoln Memorials. A couple varieties i think are a value stretch would include the 1c 53 proof DDO, 1c 1959 DDO, and a number of RPMs. You need some serious magnification to see these.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

The 70-S is a 1000x better and more appealing than the 71. In fact I would put it just below the 69-S DDO as the modern variety to have in the Lincoln Memorials. A couple varieties i think are a value stretch would include the 1c 53 proof DDO, 1c 1959 DDO, and a number of RPMs. You need some serious magnification to see these.

Amen brother. So why won't Ron respond to my e-mails?
    Doug
  • Options
    I have both in 65 red, so I have no real dog in the hunt except right is right, and wrong is wrong.
    Doug
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    When it is so scarce that no one knows it exists! 1968-72-d clad b reverse quarters, now known as type h, but very few known.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    When it has to be explained instead of seen.

• Options
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Amen brother. So why won't Ron respond to my e-mails?

Not sure, probably the same reason I can't even get an email back from Fred Bart about a new error on a 1914 $5 Federal Reserve Note. They're either too busy or it's just not worth getting into a debate for.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Some people do not respond to emails. It's probably nothing personal.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are those who enjoy their coins with up to a 10X loupe and there are those who enjoy looking for varieties under an SEM.

If you need the latter, I couldn't be less interested.

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not seek varieties, however, if one comes my way, I keep it. Also, I do not search for the varieties that need magnification... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties are no bother at all. In fact they're the spice of life.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had access to a Scanning Electron Microscope with Energy Dispersive X-Ray (SEM-EDX) (up to 200,000 X magnification, we used it for magnetic chip detector analysis) back when I was on Active duty in Joint Oil Analysis Program (JOAP) Lab...that thought never occurred to me to try and use it for variety detection. Probably due to my rekindled interest in coins after the fact.

Varieties are one of the reasons why I love the TrueView images so much...the "zoom-ability" is really nice!

I would stick with the Cherry Pickers Guide (CPG) as far as which varieties to seek out, although there are some of them that are not in the CPG (yet?) which PCGS has deemed "Minor"

To each their own.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When nobody will pay for it.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Among my tools were 17 Scanning Electron Microscopes and 4 TEM's, and a boatload of other tools. Well, not owned by me, but I managed them and the employees that ran them.

They were used to check for defects and repeating patterns on microcircuits.

Using a scanning tunneling microscope, it was possible to "see" individual atoms.

Another tool would "compare" a perfect image to actual, and flag all differences.

On a chip, with billions of electrical components, none of them were "exactly" the same.

If a coin had a mintage of 1,232,165,787

There would be 1,232,165,786 varieties and one, pick any one, that would not be the variety.

Here is a link to a MOVIE made by manipulating atoms. Each "dot" is an individual atom. It is a "boy" playing with an atom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image mustangmanbob!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not interesting if you have to use a higher power than 10x to see said varieties. They lose their allure at that point.

Same criteria as I use.If I can't see it with 10x,it's "too minor" for me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    When you need a 10X glass to see it, it's not worthwhile. For some things the magnification factor is lower than that.

Say you come across an old and pretty worn 1888 Indian Cent. Wouldn't you try as hard as you can, even if you need a 200x magnification to find that 1888/7? I know were talking apples to oranges, but about using the stronger mag. would be worth the trouble.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One variety comes to mind. The 14/3 buffalo nickel. Now I'm not even sure if it's a variety or not anymore. I know for sure nobody wants to pay up for these.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: crazyhounddog
    One variety comes to mind. The 14/3 buffalo nickel. Now I'm not even sure if it's a variety or not anymore. I know for sure nobody wants to pay up for these.

Now that, to me, is a great variety! Mentioned earlier, in another post, it all depends on who is willing to dish out the cash for a certain variety. Any Buffalo collectors, I think, would be thrilled to pay for that coin. Even a minor variety, if someone in particular, likes the minor he'll pay for it! This is what's so great about our hobby. To each his/her own.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file