Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A guy I work with got 2 Peace Dollars at the mini-mart this morning.

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Co-worker said a 35 +/- year old construction worker was in front of him and used them as $2 to help buy cigarettes.

Cashier didn't want to take them but the guy told her they're worth way more in silver and convinced her.

Co-worker gave the cashier $2 for them. He knows nothing about coins but did know that they were silver dollars and worth more than face

1922-D XF cleaned

1922-P AU quite nice actually. Original looking skin.

I told him something is obviously going on. And probably not good.

Nobody spends silver dollars like that.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    Co-worker said a 35 +/- year old construction worker was in front of him and used them as $2 to help buy cigarettes.
    Cashier didn't want to take them but the guy told her they're worth way more in silver and convinced her.

Co-worker gave the cashier $2 for them. He knows nothing about coins but did know that they were silver dollars and worth more than face

1922-D XF cleaned

If they're hard up and he is in a bad spot financially, I suppose he will do anything.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! This guy could of bought almost a half of carton! (cigs.) If this guy knew the coins were worth a whole lot more than $2, why in the world...? Oh well, It must be me. Wisdom is so, so important in this world, isn't it? You see what smoking does to your brain!image Nice catch! At least somebody is using wisdom. Just thought of this: Why would the cashier give up the two coins as well for face? Another brain freeze?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    I don't like the whole story myself.

Bothers me that the construction guy knew they were worth more and that he didn't care.

My co-worker maybe could have given the cashier a $5 or $10 or whatever for them.

I don't know.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of them before the pleece come a snoopin around.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Construction worker knew they were worth way more in silver and didn't take them to a pawn shop where they could have gotten more $$ for cigarettes. Hmmmm....
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba

Construction worker knew they were worth way more in silver and didn't take them to a pawn shop where they could have gotten more $$ for cigarettes. Hmmmm....

I know, right.

I can see the occasional silver dime and possibly quarter but.........

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, he could have at least stopped by a pawn shop (at minimum) prior to stopping at the mini mart for cigs....unless he knew they were stolen and did not want to do that. Hmmmm
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    And were not talking if those Peace$'s were any variety premium. Or rarer date?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The guy was out of smokes. He had no choice.

Cigarettes are as addictive as heroin.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like they where to hot to handle.
  • Options
    Better check if counterfeit?

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Stolen? Counterfeit?

He's not buying a Pepsi, he's buying cigarettes.

Apparently none of you have ever smoked or known a smoker.

He doesn't WANT cigarettes. He NEEDS cigarettes.
    Sure a logical move would be to sell the coins for melt value and then he could have more cigarettes later.

But he NEEDS cigarettes NOW.

This is how it works
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10
    Originally posted by: sparky64

1922-D XF cleaned

If they're hard up and he is in a bad spot financially, I suppose he will do anything.

i seen that before, ya never know.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .................never mind........I would get banned.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess miracles can still happen. If y co worker has ebay account he could start them at melt and c what they bid up to to. I would not be surprised if he can get at least 45-50 bucks for the two.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    This happened at the pharmacy where I work. 7 Morgans given for a pack. Guy said the same thing, they are worth a lot more.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN
    .................never mind........I would get banned.

POTD...lol image

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba

A cashier at my local grocery.... runs across Ike Dollars 5 - 10x a year

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been 2 - 3 years, but I snagged a Peace and an Ike sitting in the change drawer at a Mick D's. for $1 each
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    In the mid-1970's, I was working in a convenience store where an older gent would come in a couple times a week to buy cigars and pay with silver dollars (Morgan/Peace). When he was out the door I cashed them out for face. Over time I ended up with close to 80 of them. There came the time when knew I'd be leaving that job soon so when he came in, I asked if he had any more of the silver dollars, and I'd be willing to pay $5 each. He declined. So I mentally wrote him off as an old senile guy.

A couple months later, I found out he wasn't senile at all. image He was retired but his wife still worked. She hated that he smoked cigars and made sure when she went to work, he had no cash to buy them with. Occasionally when she went to work, he would just raid his stash of silver dollars and she was none the wiser.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What convenience store chain sells a pack of smokes for $2 ? You might be lucky enough to buy one cig on the streets of NYC for that amount.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Ike's= image
    Peace Dollars= $$$

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coindeuce
    What convenience store chain sells a pack of smokes for $2 ? You might be lucky enough to buy one cig on the streets of NYC for that amount.

I think he was saying that the $2 was part of the amount he used to buy the smokes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

I think he was saying that the $2 was part of the amount he used to buy the smokes.

Yesssssss. image

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kranky
    In the mid-1970's, I was working in a convenience store where an older gent would come in a couple times a week to buy cigars and pay with silver dollars (Morgan/Peace). When he was out the door I cashed them out for face. Over time I ended up with close to 80 of them. There came the time when knew I'd be leaving that job soon so when he came in, I asked if he had any more of the silver dollars, and I'd be willing to pay $5 each. He declined. So I mentally wrote him off as an old senile guy.

A couple months later, I found out he wasn't senile at all. image He was retired but his wife still worked. She hated that he smoked cigars and made sure when she went to work, he had no cash to buy them with. Occasionally when she went to work, he would just raid his stash of silver dollars and she was none the wiser.

What a money train! Wonder if any better dates, BU. Course, silver went to close to $50 an ounce in 1980....thanks for sharing.

I worked in a convenience store during mid 1970's too. No such luck, just lousy wages, people stealing, long hours (successive 18 hr shifts) bc boss did not want come in, etc. Quit it after a few months, low paying hostile environment. I remember one evening after an 18 hour shift some bozo on a Sunday night complaining about the trash bin of the store being too full and that he owned property nearby. I had been threatened by a customer that day and could have cared less his stupid property (probably some fake). Another bozo wanted me reopen the store after locked it - told him too bad its closed. Could not get to the car fast enough. Its funny when your really down and worn out how the bozos come out of the woodwork, I sometimes think this world is a simulation. Yup, coulda used some silver dollars......I think the fast food people need to unionize and shut them down until they pay them a decent wage. I don't understand, workers fought and died to be able to organize and the people now just let them take their rights away and exploit them like pack animals.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see some silver dollars in a register.... around here I think the clerks would grab them as fast as they hit the till..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Would love to see some silver dollars in a register.... around here I think the clerks would grab them as fast as they hit the till..... Cheers, RickO

Not if it was at the mini-mart the OP was talking about.image

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

And, then hang around and watch the cops choke your dealer!

Seriously, these were probably somebody else's silver dollars, and he got the
    smokes he wanted.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread made me spend a couple of Ikes at dinner last night. Took two people to figure out that they said "ONE DOLLAR" on them. THey took them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file