Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many of your gold dimes are heading back to the mint??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
Checked mine out today and 1 has a nasty contact mark on the bust - 10% return ain't bad, is it?? image
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sending any back.
    Then again, I didn't buy any.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero. Mine were pre-sold in the box.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact just above the 2. Quick phone pic for those who think threads w/o pics are worthless..... image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

I'm not sending any back.

Then again, I didn't buy any.

Using the same order size....I'm sending ALL of mine back. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I returned mine so fast, I didn't even have to order them.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Id like to return 10.Got to wonder why I even ordered any at all. I guess I'm just a Junk Junkie.

The Mint robbed me last fall. Claimed I never returned a 1 oz BU Gold Eagle. They would BS me over and over again when I would call

them. BS me for 40 minutes everytime. Finally I just gave up. In hindsight that was a very bad move, but they would absolutely not help me.

Not about to give them another opportunity to rob me of another ounce of Gold. Karma baby. Karma is on MY side.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dealer at the Round Rock, TX show yesterday had 2 of them and I had the opportunity to examine them.

The mint managed to screw them up in every way that would anger collectors (as expected), IMO.

The reverses of both were what I would call 'no-band'. I mean, literally, there were no bands on the ties on the fasces- they were toally smooth. A typical 1945 Philadelphia coin has more reverse detail. The overall design appeared to be a modern redo of the original design, with a lot less detail, typical of the modern 'video game token' crap the mint produces now.

Overall, very low quality, IMO.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure junk.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1

A dealer at the Round Rock, TX show yesterday had 2 of them and I had the opportunity to examine them.

The mint managed to screw them up in every way that would anger collectors (as expected), IMO.

The reverses of both were what I would call 'no-band'. I mean, literally, there were no bands on the ties on the fasces- they were toally smooth. A typical 1945 Philadelphia coin has more reverse detail. The overall design appeared to be a modern redo of the original design, with a lot less detail, typical of the modern 'video game token' crap the mint produces now.

Overall, very low quality, IMO.

They are all like that.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    None of mine are going back to the Mint. The one I am keeping is very pretty and free.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    None of mine are going back to the Mint. The one I am keeping is very pretty and free.

Those are the kind I like to keep.. Emphasis on the FREE part.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are really sending them back? I know they were a little underwhelming, but have they lost the premium already?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW

People are really sending them back? I know they were a little underwhelming, but have they lost the premium already?

Good point. It may be worth more on the secondary coin market. Anyone know what the raw ones are bringing now?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    I see some posts here that to me sound like "I can't make money from this, so back they go." Even those who didn't order any would like to send them back. My 10 will be arriving Wednesday, and I have no plans for them -- yet. I'm not crazy about them, but I'm not crazy enough to send them back, either, and grading doesn't seen to be necessary.

As for the design, numismatically, it's a winner. I started collecting these dimes (and everything else) in 1959, and found multiples of every date/mm (except no 16-D). The lack of detail shouldn't be surprising. It's no longer the U.S. Mint I remember, selling proof sets for $2.10 and little else.

It's now a giant factory, used as some sort of cash cow, charged with selling as much product as possible. Quality control? Don't make me laugh. The number of issues and total mintages demand speed.

I've been underwhelmed by most Mint "stuff" since the Guidebook started getting fat. Spiral binding needed, so all the trash can fit in. Giving an arm of the government even more money? Not my idea, but I had to have these. I can always pass a few on (young relatives I'd like to turn into numismatists).

In the offing are the Liberty Standing Quarters. Then the halves. Taken together, they're a work of art. Together in a custom holder, great! A treasure I can buy almost cheaply, because of the melt value. Almost makes up for not being able to buy a gold type set when I was young, and broke.

Of course, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Quarter is issued. It will be overpriced, and lack detail. No matter what, it's a reproduced 1916 quarter, not the real thing. If I had a problem with that, I'd skip the Mint, and put the 5 grand toward a nice original.

But I ain't gonna do that, no siree.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Keeping my single orders of five sealed for a while. I may submit one occasionally to PCGS for a shot at First Strike MS 70.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Good point. It may be worth more on the secondary coin market. Anyone know what the raw ones are bringing now?

I sold one for $280 plus $5 shipping on e-Bay Saturday.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX setting the prices at $300, they probably have 75,000 of the allotted mintage. image and likely got them from you guys. image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine just stayed there.
    Originally posted by: pf70collector

Keeping my single orders of five sealed for a while. I may submit one occasionally to PCGS for a shot at First Strike MS 70.

Don't they all have to be sent in the sealed box to get the First Strike designation?

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    They are still fetching ~$270 raw on da Bay.

It's just like any fad it retracts before impact
    And just like fashion it's a passion for the with it and hip
    If you got the goods they'll come and buy it just to stay in the clique

So don't delay act now supplies are running out
    Allow if you're still alive six to eight years to arrive
    And if you follow there may be a tomorrow
    But if the offer's shunned you might as well be walkin' on the sun

Walkin' on the Sun
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not worry about sending any of 'em back...'cause I did not buy any!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    If your just going to send them back to the mint, I'll buy them for issue price.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    I would not worry about sending any of 'em back...'cause I did not buy any!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOT FUNNY

The second response on the thread covered that answer, now go try and be original next time.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was not impressed with the pictures offered, so did not buy any... and now, reports on

those received, seem to justify that decision. Cheers, RickO
    With regard to selling it, I wouldn't want to stick someone with this coin, deal with returns to me, etc. Easier to just return it.

With regards to 1st strike, you need to have your package to the TPG postmarked w/in 30 days or leave the box sealed - can't send them in piecemeal.

I think it's a pretty neat looking coin. Hope PCGS comes up with a 3 coin holder once all 3 are issued.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Don't they all have to be sent in the sealed box to get the First Strike designation?

Yes, they will be sent in sealed. Probably not for a few years though.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see that one of the coin shysters on the tele. was selling them at $399 ms 70 grade. went back to the rest room then went back to bed.
  • GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Ill buy any that you guys don't want and pay you $10 for your troubles.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard this issue was sold out almost immediately. I am glad I didn't want one. Another coin for the flippers.

The mint is saying more will be available. No doubt these rejects will be what you will get.

I used to defend modern coinage as collectors' items, but the flippers are ruining any interest I had in them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None. Some sold raw for a small premium over cost, rest graded
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    I just sent one back today. When I opened the box to examine the coin I noticed the capsule was partially opened. I opened it to look at it with a 10x loop and it had some really bad finning from 6 to 11 o'clock and part of it was actually smashed down from my guess the capsule trying to close. I tried closing it and sure enough it wouldn't close, so I did the best I could and packaged it up to send back. Such a shame as the rest of the coin was in excellent condition. Looks like I'll be keeping my box of 2 after all.

Kudos to the Mint for sending me a shipping label within 20 minutes of doing the online return request when the site said it would be within 24 hours.
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones

The mint is saying more will be available. No doubt these rejects will be what you will get.

Some, not all. If you read enough of the posts, you will see where the mint has been putting "returns" into the same category as failed purchases (over the HH limit, rejected credit cards, canceled orders, etc).

So, while it is easier to be 100% negative, it isn't only about the returns.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint should send the rejects to PCGS and get the "Worst Strike" label.
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

i see that one of the coin shysters on the tele. was selling them at $399 ms 70 grade. went back to the rest room then went back to bed.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HSN IS CHARGING $ 499.95. They could not sell out in several shows and still available online.

I wonder why ?????image

Don't people know they are First Day Of Issue.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    expect the mint to put the remaining coins on sale after the price increase tomorrow.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK

HSN IS CHARGING $ 499.95. They could not sell out in several shows and still available online.

I wonder why ?????image

HSN caters mostly to non-collectors. I'd like to see the look on their faces when they see how tiny their $500 coins are.image

• libertydudelibertydude Posts: 243 ✭✭
    So my backordered coin will be one of your rejects? image
    Originally posted by: libertydude

So my backordered coin will be one of your rejects? image

Only if you buy one.image

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    Originally posted by: BillJones

Some, not all. If you read enough of the posts, you will see where the mint has been putting "returns" into the same category as failed purchases (over the HH limit, rejected credit cards, canceled orders, etc).

So, while it is easier to be 100% negative, it isn't only about the returns.

I don't understand your criticism at all. The mint gets back these marked up coins and ships them to someone else. What is there to like about that? I ran into that years ago with an end of the issue McArthur $5 gold. 100% negative? I've gotten my share of disappointing coins from the mint, and I'm not one of those people who send back coins that don't make MS or PR-70. I send back coins with big marks, spots and finger prints.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive turned away two boxes of 10. I made offers, not offers the sellers liked.....

"Well on eBay they sell for...."
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    None. I only bought two. Sent them into PCGS in the sealed box. Hope they are decent.
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    Anyone else get a smashed up box of 5 like this?

Trying to deceide to open or not?

Asked the UPS lady about the smashed up box and she just shrugged her shoulders.

Incredible.

The poor quality of the Mint's shipping never ceases to amaze me. Just throw them in a box with some brown paper and off they go.

I order from the Perth Mint in Australia sometimes. Their products arrive from Australia in perfect condition every time. They really carefully package everything, even relatively inexpensive coins. Ugh.

It's very possible that some of your coins are not in the capsules. Hard to know what to do. I'd open as selling sealed will be tough it that's what you want to do.

If you want to save and submit for FS later than keep sealed but the coins may be out of the holders and damaged.

Got my 10 in yesterday and they went to the post office today.

I looked at 1, just to see it in-hand, and it looked fine. Didn't look at the other 9.

Was going to keep 1 or 2, but other expenses had me rethink that (use the funds for other things).

So, there are some good ones out there (hopefully mine were) and there are, according to the OP, not so good.....sorry about that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

You looked at only 1?? You had a 10% chance of finding the dog! :funny
    Arrived today. None going back. Even the Mint cannot ruin the experience of seeing the first one in hand. A coin of my youth (found every one but 16-D), reproduced IN GOLD. Perfection from the factory that calls itself the US Mint? Never. But this coin is perfect for me. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Amen to that CertifiedGoldCo. I've showed the new gold merc to a few none collectors. They all say it's very unique and attractive. It actually catches their attention.
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

You looked at only 1?? You had a 10% chance of finding the dog! :funny

Yeah....I figured if I looked at all 10, I would end up wanting 1 or 2.

I have bills to pay thanks to the boy and his sport, so I ended up selling all 10.

I'm sorry to say that, in this case, they may have sent me your package and you mine. Normally, I am the one with the dogs coming in image

Originally posted by: BarberJ
    Amen to that CertifiedGoldCo. I've showed the new gold merc to a few none collectors. They all say it's very unique and attractive. It actually catches their attention.
    Welcome to the boards. I'm looking ahead to the SL Quarter, and the Half, holdered together. Returning these now is premature, and maybe a mistake.

Originally posted by: HATTRICK

I wonder why ?????image

Who buys HSN overpriced items - coins and otherwise?? I'll just never understand it. They don't shop around at all??? The same items can generally b found on a simple Google search for far less. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file