Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are your thoughts on this Doubled Profile Kennedy?

I can across this a few weeks ago and I'm a little stumped as to whether it's machine doubling or hub doubling. There are a couple notable 1966 doubled dies involving Kennedy's profile but nothing of note for the 67. What are your thoughts on what this could be. Scratches are on the OGP and not on the coin. It does exhibit the typical white haze.

Comments

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like hub doubling to me. I would suggest opening the plastic holder to shooting it again. The plastic holder opens very easily as they are not sealed. I see something interesting down by the 9 and 6 in the date, but I think it is reflections inside the plastic. The details in the doubling of the profile do not look shelf like to me. You can see doubling in the eye as well. This could possibly be a new discovery.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Hub doubling. There is a 1966 SMS with an actual doubled die profile. Looks similar to that but its a true DD.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hub doubling. still interesting though, just saying
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434
    hub doubling. still interesting though, just saying

"Hub doubling" is a term to describe an actual doubled die. Hub doubling is a good thing. I think you guys are referring to "mechanical doubling" sometimes referred to as "shelf doubling."

This image may prove deceptive. The lip area is especially intriguing, but I need to see more images at different light for it to earn the DCW seal of approval. Whatever thats worth...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree, you may have something there? Ala, "Double Die"!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't most double dies include the "IN GOD WE TRUST"?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my example and it's clearly mechanical or shelf doubling, cool aren't they!

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool, business strike?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anomalies in the date are intriguing... any theories on those?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there something going on under the 6?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grip
    Is there something going on under the 6?

Looking at the coin closer, I don't see anything of note. I think it's just reflective feedback from the holder. I'm going to take this out later today and try my hand at re-imaging it with better lighting.

• Options
    While I'm working on new images, does anyone have reference photos of SMS coins with machine doubling? That way I have something to compare it to.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure you know this already, but it's worth restating for the group. Hub doubling is a part of the die and it produces the exact same doubling every time.
    Machine doubling is not produced as part of the hubbing process of the die and will vary from coin to coin until the problem that is causing the shelf like doubling during the minting process is corrected.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm excited to see any new images of this half dollar. I really think it is a true doubled die and would make it a new discovery. The doubling is pretty dramatic and would not need a loupe to locate one of these. If this is indeed what I think it is, I will be on the lookout.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file