Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out my latest eBay cherrypick - 1917 DDO Lincoln

seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
I spotted this beauty in a small lot, grouped with low grade examples of its Denver and San Francisco cousins. I had to sweat six days for the auction to end, then another ten while the package slowly bounced around a USPS sorting facility in Missouri before finally receiving the coin today. My cost on the group, including postage, was a shade under $6.

From the blurry auction pics I could have received anything from a pink cleaned VF to a red-brown AU, here are the seller's photos cropped just to show the Philly coin:

The actual coin in hand is somewhere in the middle, it has XF details but the surfaces are a little rough and the color may be a little off. I don't know if it would straight grade at our host, but truth told I'd be plenty satisfied with it in a Genuine XF Details holder. The good news is that it is the earliest die state I've ever seen in person, with strong division lines on WE TRUST.

UPDATED:The coin graded Genuine XF Details at our host.

My pictures are below, I don't have my usual lighting rig set up but the colors are pretty close:

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this the second one of these you've picked out of the bay??
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #yousuckbigtime

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Originally posted by: 19Lyds

Isn't this the second one of these you've picked out of the bay??

I once found one in an unsearched roll, I posted about it in this thread. That coin was a borderline cull, though, this one is way nicer.

Sean Reynolds

(edit to fix link)

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet pick!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How on earth did you see that in the sellers pictures?!

Better eyes than me, I guess. image

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just goes to show ya...they (varieties) are out there.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I know you were looking for one for quite a while...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... really nice find.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Good job on the pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TommyType

I was thinking the same thing?

• Options
    Originally posted by: TommyType

The short answer is the second T in TRUST, on the DDO the vertical bar is twice as thick as the horizontal bar and the right side of the horizontal bar is shorter than the left. Look at enough 1917 cents and it jumps out at you.

The longer answer is in the old thread I linked above, there's a post there illustrating several pick-up points for the variety.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Sean, congratulations. Your persistence pays off.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheesh. $1500 in XF. Nice find.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good catch!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: seanq

I posted about it in this thread.

Sean Reynolds

there's a post there illustrating several pick-up points for the variety.

link fixded.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go EYES
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With great risk, comes great reward.
    Nice pick.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, a veritable "YOU SUCK!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Not high enuff value for a true MadMarty stylee "YOU SUCK". Sorry but that's the rules. (Wink)

What happened to the emoticons?

Still, an absolutely AWESOME pick and deserving of some kind of accolade for sure!

And SeanQ even shares the PUP's with everybody! How cool is that?!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp eye dude!

Nice work! Those of us who look for these things can appreciate how much time, work, and effort are involved to ultimately net a good cherrypick.

Dead ends, squinting, headaches, excitement, disappointment.......all in a day's work.

NICELY DONE!

I wouldn't have seen that one for sure.

Mighty impressive job.

It might straight grade....gotta roll the bones.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Sean

Great pickup !

That is a really sharp example of the DDO with a lot of meat on her bones.

Coin looks much better in your pics than the auction.

Congrats are sure in order as well as a You Suck.

Nice coin.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!!!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How in the world did you ever see that?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Bumping this to add submission results, this coin just graded Genuine XF Details at our host. I will add pictures in the holder once I have it back in hand.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Was it environmental damage or something else?
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Tip of the cap for the persistence.

Very nice!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Very nice! Was it environmental damage or something else?

They said it was cleaned, I do not necessarily agree but the surfaces definitely had an unnatural appearance.

Sean Reynolds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file