Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have FINALLY upgraded to a DSLR and macro lens!!!

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my best friends and fellow collectors is a retired photographer from the Associated Press. He photographed the Kennedy assassination, covered all presidents since then, and took some memorable sports images, including one that ended up on a Wheaties box. We've discussed coin photography many times, and he always told me if I bought the macro lens, I could have one of the Canon EOS 1D Mark II bodies he used while he was at the AP. I have been using a point-and-shoot since I started shooting coins over 10 years ago, and had taken it about as far as I could, using an axial lighting box and homemade copy stand. Anyway, I was finally able to afford the Canon 100mm macro lens and a set of extension tubs, along with a REAL copy stand. Like he promised, he gave me the camera body yesterday- it was still in the box and hadn't been used much; he had 3 of them and this was one of his backup cameras. I originally had two 250-watt photo floods, but they generated a TON of heat, so I replaced them earlier today with 2 85-watt compact florescent floods (they look ridiculous, but put out great light). Here are some of the first images along with a shot of the rig- any comments, critiques, or suggestions are appreciated. I have the Goodman book on order and am expecting it next week...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those pics are a little too good ; )

Congrat's!!!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! On my list of next numismatic acquisitions image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking setup! Great pics too.

Really all you can do now is practice.

And buy ten different kinds of lights, and...
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Camera and Lens.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics! Coingrats!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for showing the set up. Much appreciate see how you got the good results.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how your lighting the portraits fron the front of their faces. I often see folks light the back of the hair leaving the face in shadow. Nicely done.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    put this on want list ....... Canon MP E Macro Lens for Canon EF - 65mm - F/2.8
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look darn good. Just how close can you get with that particular lens? Can you show for instance, doubling on a mint mark?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Meltdown
    Those look darn good. Just how close can you get with that particular lens? Can you show for instance, doubling on a mint mark?

Supposedly, with the extension tubes, I can get really good magnification. That's the next thing I plan on playing with... I'm a variety guy so that's important to me.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1

Supposedly, with the extension tubes, I can get really good magnification. That's the next thing I plan on playing with... I'm a variety guy so that's important to me.

those help but zoom in as far as you can, get as close to the coin as you can, max out resolution, sharpen images before anything else, enlarge/zoom a bit and one can get really good pups images.

if you want to go pro with that camera, get a microscopic objective setup $120-140 give/take.

or just inexpensive extension tubes. image

here are some samples of what mine can do: (not to compare my work to goodman, rpmsprms or a couple other members)

1 - 2

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade for sure...

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your new rig and those are great pics.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

I am not a fan of your lighting and think you can do much better. But lighting is probably the most difficult and trying element and, with enough patience and practice, many options can work.

Lance.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same copy stand and same light holders. I like halogens for most stuff & the bulbs come in plenty of sizes. I use either 90W or 50W bulbs. The photos tend to the warm (red) side, but every light type has its ups and downs.

I did forget a slab under the 90W bulbs once and the inner gasket melted and flowed up and over the rim of the coin. D'oh! Glad it didn't hurt the coin. For the 5 minutes it takes to shoot the coin it's not big deal though. There is a huge advantage to having tons of light. Shutter speeds drop and you have more flexibility with moving the lights around a bit.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice setup. As Lance said, you will eventually graduate from those lights (I call them awesome beginner lights). You'll also eventually learn how to get lighting higher and at a better angle to cover the coin, show detail and luster, yet not flood the coin with unnecessary lighting.

Keep going as you're off to a great start! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file