Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay second chance offers

ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
Recently, I have received eBay second chance offers that follow a pattern:

--I bid on an item that has an opening bid very close to its typical selling price. There is one bid at the opening price, and I am the second bidder.

--My maximum bid is immediately outbid by one bid increment. I don't bid again.

--As soon as the auction closes, I am contacted by the seller with a second chance offer at my max bid.

I just wanted to ask those of you who sell a lot on eBay, are non-paying buyers very common? And how many of them confirm that they will not pay within a couple of hours of the auction close?

Am I being paranoid that this seems like a shill situation?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I cannot say that a buyer backing out that quickly is normal. Sure would raise a red flag with me unless it's a modern issue and then that would be even odd.

Seller has acceptable feedback that is not low in numbers?

Item is inexpensive?

Chance of multiples owned by this seller?

Can you contact the seller via phone? Is that even possible?

Not much risk if he sends you not as described.

If it is a newer seller likely a mistake sending you a 2nd chance offer.

Hmmmmmm

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Am I being paranoid that this seems like a shill situation?"

Could be...the question is do you want it at that price?

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    something is amiss, would you mind posting of the listings ? is this an item that the seller could conceivably have multiples of ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    These have been reasonably high feedback eBay dealers selling slabbed coins. I am not concerned about not receiving the item or item not as described.

I know I can decline the second chance offer without any negative repercussions. I'm not out anything. It's more the niggling suspicion that the opening bid was just there to expose my maximum bid. So that a coin I could have won at opening bid, I'm now being offered at my max bid.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard of the second chance thing in ages! Have the auctions been from the same seller or different ones?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ProfLiz
    So that a coin I could have won at opening bid, I'm now being offered at my max bid.

For me it would depend on how much I wanted it and how unique it was. If I really want it, the max bid would allow me to move on. If not, I have let pieces sell again for opening or lower bid, often, getting it for much less than the original offer.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ProfLiz

These have been reasonably high feedback eBay dealers selling slabbed coins. I am not concerned about not receiving the item or item not as described.

I know I can decline the second chance offer without any negative repercussions. I'm not out anything. It's more the niggling suspicion that the opening bid was just there to expose my maximum bid. So that a coin I could have won at opening bid, I'm now being offered at my max bid.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, a ssssshill????

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want it grab it, shill or not, this particular shill backfired on the seller. ...or punt, pass or kick your way to a relisting.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a seller, I actually just had this happen a few days ago. Had a really good sell, and literally as soon as the auction was over I got a cancellation request from the winner, with no explanation. I sent a few second chance offers, but like you, they probably thought it was a shill bid, so none wanted the coin. Sometimes it really is just a stupid bidder. If you want the coin, get it.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I would guess a shill, but if you wanted it at the max bid before why not now? My guess is they were just fishing to see what the max was someone would bid.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was auctioning a low-cost item on ebay recently (first I'd done for years!). The winner emailed me frantically right before the auction ended, saying he'd misread the description, and saying he really didn't want the coin as it was. I told him no problem, I'd offer it to the underbidder if he won. (the underbidder didn't respond, BTW, so I put it up again, and sold it the next time round).

That's one scenario, whereby you might get a Second Chance offer.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston

I would guess a shill, but if you wanted it at the max bid before why not now? My guess is they were just fishing to see what the max was someone would bid.

This was my first thought.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP's situation sounds like a seller shill that didn't pan out. I would have replied, "no thanks, you shouldn't have bid against me." I would also report it as a shill. Ebay will have enough info on his other auctions to see a pattern if there is one.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had 2nd chance offers, but they are from a legit dealer that I know and know he did have multiples (rather than put three auctions up at the same time, he'll put up one and make offers to the underbidders). It works out better for him - sometimes - and not - sometimes...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Sounds like a shill situation. Like they're trying to entice you to place another bid but when you don't they try to cover themselves and still sell it to you.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    When you click on the userid code of the winning bidder, does the page show 99% or 100% of bids to that seller?
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    My experience is that 2nd chance offers aren't very common. If you are getting a lot of them from the same person, I'd be suspicious. OTOH, if you really want the coin...well...Sometimes ya just gotta take a chance!
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3
    I've had 2nd chance offers, but they are from a legit dealer that I know and know he did have multiples (rather than put three auctions up at the same time, he'll put up one and make offers to the underbidders). It works out better for him - sometimes - and not - sometimes...

For moderns and common date classic coins, that would be my guess. Not so, for the more rare or high priced ones.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a shill situation to me. See if it's re-listed and at what price.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I've had winning bidders back out shortly after winning an auction. It is annoying. I will sometimes do second chance listings.

My advice would be not to get hung up on whether it was a shill or not. Either way you were at one point willing to pay $x for the coin. Doesn't really matter if it was a shill or not.

Play if you still like the coin at the price, or pass if not.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of things are you bidding on? Is it reasonable that they have 2 or more of them?

Immediate non-paying bidders do not happen, as it takes at least 4-5 days to go through the eBay process as a seller.
    A very slim chance of bidder quickly backing out.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it doesn't seem right to you just pass. Another coin will come along soon enough.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. Sounds like a lot of you have the same suspicion that I do, but I really appreciate the sellers among you letting me know that sometimes the winner does just back out suddenly.

I should mention that this has happened to me twice fairly recently (from different sellers, both of whom seem to be legit) and once about six months ago (yet a different seller, I believe). It could be pure random luck on my part!

Now, as many of you pointed out, all I have to do is figure out whether I want to pay my max bid for that coin or not.

I really appreciate that this board has a huge experience base...it helps put things like this into context.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you really need this coin, you may want to wait for the seller to relist the coin. There's a good chance that you could get the coin for less than your maximum bid. Nothing is guaranteed though. He may not relist it and a new person with more money than sense may be bidding against you. It comes down to how badly you want the coin and how risk averse you are. Let us know what you decide. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very few coins sold on eBay are truly rare. If I think a seller is shilling me I just back up and look elsewhere. Trust that feeling.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: drwstr123
    "Am I being paranoid that this seems like a shill situation?"

Could be...the question is do you want it at that price?

yeah, what he said and do be careful of the shill.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely a shill.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file