Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend coin descriptions show market weakness

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
Looking thru Legend inventory of coins 1 thing stood out in their coin descriptions.. The description part ....they list what the coin amount sold for before .. many times the coin last sold some as early 1 year ago ..... prices have dipped 10-20 % in the case of a Proof Indian cent 50 % over a couple years .. Surprised coin market that weak

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like an over due correction than a weak market. There have been too many large collection sell offs with a substantial amount of advertising helping push coins to new record prices. Now that these coins are back on the market they have been selling for much less than the well advertised mega sales realized prices. Its been a great buying opportunity for me and many other buyers to pick up great coins at a fraction of what someone who got caught up in the hype paid.

Once the market finishes absorbing these coins into strong hands again, there should be no reason for them not to hold their value.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember selling a hundred ounce bar of silver for $4800. in 2011. Now I can buy 3 for that price. (that's the metal market) Coins are unique.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to sell my personal collection in this market, I would loose right at 6 figures, but Don't have too, but have also taken the opportunity to add a few when the right coin comes along.

about 2 years ago I bought a 1914-d in pc64r for like 8000. sold it off a while back and acquired a 65 cac coin for mid 8. these were -12k + just a year ago.

also picked up a gobrecht dollar at a much reduced price, always wanted one but never wanted to spend the money, got it like 3k cheaper than it would have been 1 year ago.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been waiting for 20 years for AU 1815 bust halves to come down. Somebody let me know when that happens. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectible markets move in cycles. For most people, the economy isn't good, and disposable income is no longer there.
    It's a bad time to sell, but if you have money it might be a golden opportunity to buy.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many dealers have recently noted that the market has softened, not just Legend.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The softness seems to affect most collectible markets, not just coins. Unless you are one of the "stalwarts" the money just isn't there anymore and the prospects for it ever being there seem doubtful.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    Collectible markets move in cycles. For most people, the economy isn't good, and disposable income is no longer there.
    It's a bad time to sell, but if you have money it might be a golden opportunity to buy.

You sound like my financial advisorimage
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shorecoll
    I've been waiting for 20 years for AU 1815 bust halves to come down. Somebody let me know when that happens. image

Patience .. The Indian Cent I described .. 1893 PR 66 Bn CAC.. a non CAC sold for $2,875 in 2009 ..now is selling for $1,250 , so Legend probably paid about $900..What a haircut , if other collectors holding same coin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin market is simply reacting to the overall economy... weak. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

The softness seems to affect most collectible markets, not just coins. Unless you are one of the "stalwarts" the money just isn't there anymore and the prospects for it ever being there seem doubtful.

The "softness" is real, but the long-term prospects of a rebound are equally real. There is a very strong and loyal collector base in the rare coin market. I think we are seeing that the majority of people who came in to the coin market recently without a true "love" of rare coins are leaving because they've lost interest. I characterize these folks as trendy buyers trying to make a quick buck off the rising market. As the market has subsided so have their numbers giving us sort of a double-whammy effect. As DCW noted, other collectibles markets seeing a similar pattern. It's natural and predictable.

Meantime, circulated coin values in general remain steady. At the top end there are some real bargains these days and, more importantly, access to certain kinds of great collector coins that was unheard of for decades. If you have the stomach to buy against the trend (i.e. contrarian), I think now is the best time in years to assemble a really cool collection -- of whatever series you love.
    John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    JOsborneJOsborne Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with you people? The economy is humming right along, haven't you heard? Our president just boasted about the record low unemployment numbers.

You need to align your perceptions with the facts.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hate to be buried in big ticket numismatic coins right now. I would buy a roll of gold AGB or AGE before spending that on just one coin right now.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JOsborne
    What's wrong with you people? The economy is humming right along, haven't you heard? Our president just boasted about the record low unemployment numbers.

And the labor participation rate is the lowest it's been since the 1970s. The unemployment statistics also don't address the issue of under employment where people can't get the number of hours they want to work, or are in jobs that are below their qualifications because they can't find something better.

You play games with the way you present labor statistics to make them support both sides of the spectrum.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Numbers and reality, sometimes, does not match image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to the degree of other stuff, but I have seen 1815 halves come down a little from where they were, also , several lately seem to have hit the market. Auctions had a couple of retreads, HLRC had like 2-3 a few months ago, another dealer I know well, had 2 the past year, and so forth.
  • Options

LOL... Low unemployment ??/..94 million not working..4th Q Gross DP up.07%.. Consumer spending flat for US...manufacturing down last 5 months ..Lies about humming USA only outdone by Chinese Communist economic stats
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bestday

Patience .. The Indian Cent I described .. 1893 PR 66 Bn CAC.. a non CAC sold for $2,875 in 2009 ..now is selling for $1,250 , so Legend probably paid about $900..What a haircut , if other collectors holding same coin

I didn't look at the listing, but from what you describe it was likely a toned Indian that sold for the $2,875. Legend is likely making a poor comparison to entice buyers if the coins are different. A beautiful toned PR66BN is likely worth $3K even today, CAC or not. Are the prices for the same coin?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Originally posted by: EagleEye

I didn't look at the listing, but from what you describe it was likely a toned Indian that sold for the $2,875. Legend is likely making a poor comparison to entice buyers if the coins are different. A beautiful toned PR66BN is likely worth $3K even today, CAC or not. Are the prices for the same coin?

Yes .. the coin sold was a non CAC .. also yes the coin they list is Toned .. a CAC a pretty coin
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Methinks it's just beginning for stuff

• Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Tom, would you please elaborate.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Large Cents I saw selling at Goldberg's auction last week sure weren't being discounted.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps Legend could also have written that the last pcgs pr66 RB CAC sold for $2,057 2/15

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact as well- check out the 1893 1c pcgs RB on coinfacts.

All three pictures are of the same coin where it is graded pr66+RB, pr67RB, and PR67+ RB
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joebb21
    Fun fact as well- check out the 1893 1c pcgs RB on coinfacts.

All three pictures are of the same coin where it is graded pr66+RB, pr67RB, and PR67+ RB

Really? Look at the reverse of the 67, especially at 8 to 9 o'clock---there is crumbling where the denticles meet the field. The images of the other two coins don't show this.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Stock Market decline in 2016 , and start of Recession in Nov/Dec 2015.. not helping coins.. I remember picking easy bargains from the 2009 Fun auction.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been seeing this for awhile. Aside from wild toners and some super high-end coins, quite a bit of the U.S. coins have taken a dip, even for what is considered nice, properly graded stuff. What some people like to call dreck seems to have taken an even bigger hit. I see it as good buying opportunity, but remaining picky in what you are after. No need to settle for low-end coins, like blast white VF's or scrubbed AU's (raw or graded), for near retail prices. If someone is really buried in a coin, pass on getting a shovel.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine politicians on either side playing games with figures.....I agree that the coin market....many parts of it are weak and stagnant, just like "the economy" however I do not see a direct correlation..... Just take a few average coins purchased three years ago into a shop and sell them. I think JOsbonre comments were very much tongue and cheek..

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Will Rogers

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HandH

Tom, would you please elaborate.

I think he said quite enough.

Buy gold, have cash and guns, hunker down.

2008 is gonna "catch up" REALLY fast.

Coors, everyone who paid any attention should have known that.

Called, "reckoning time" I believe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure wish I could find a buyer for one of my old things though.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like an over due correction than a weak market.

please explain to me what you think the difference in the two is??
  • Options

Yes .. the coin sold was a non CAC .. also yes the coin they list is Toned .. a CAC a pretty coin

I sold a common date (1883 - the most common date) PR66BN Indian cent to a dealer at the Long Beach show for over $2500, so there is something you are not telling us, like is the coin ugly?
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I got killed by 30% or more on every coin at Goldberg sale, and all but one coin at Heritage, and I didn't see any weakness. What I looked at sold for head-scratching numbers.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy
    I got killed by 30% or more on every coin at Goldberg sale, and all but one coin at Heritage, and I didn't see any weakness. What I looked at sold for head-scratching numbers.

This does not surprise me. The best material is still quite strong but the less than best ... look out below! I doubt if many participants in this forum are interested in "dreck".

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    The higher end/auction market seems more like a country club of hoarding dealers charging a high price for admission. That is rarified air... and to me always overpriced. These days, I don't even bother with shows. I'm content to troll ebay at my leisure and make an odd cherry pick to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I passed on a nice 12 D Liberty Nickel at Long Beach. It was priced to sell, but I think they will go lower. The correction appears to be across the board.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    I can point out numerous reasons why you can't compare one Indian cent with another - CAC or not.

PR Indians can have big differences in prices. Why would Legend offer one coin for $1250 and reference a coin for twice as much? Sure one is CAC and the one that sold for more was not - that tells me nothing. Vivid toning plays a big part in the price of Proofs, so comparing one against another does not show a weakening of prices nor does it mean the cheaper CAC coin is a good deal. If I owned a PR66BN with bland toning or a spot, you'd be able to buy it cheaper than $1250. If it had great toning, you couldn't touch it under $2500.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Why would Legend offer one coin for $1250 and reference a coin for twice as much?

That is the $1.1M dollar question, isn't it image

• Options

I sold a common date (1883 - the most common date) PR66BN Indian cent to a dealer at the Long Beach show for over $2500, so there is something you are not telling us, like is the coin ugly?

Betcha some forum member scooped it up.. coin is gone from listing LOL .. coin had nice blue/red toning on the obverse.... I don't collect Indians .. but the listing description intrigued me
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betcha some forum member scooped it up.. coin is gone from listing LOL .. coin had nice blue/red toning on the obverse.... I don't collect Indians .. but the listing description intrigued me

It can still be seen in the archives on Legend's website.

http://www.legendnumismatics.com/archives/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    The coin looks nice. Someone got a great deal. The comparison to a 2009 auction was not relevant. They were pointing out that a) they don't trade that often and b) they can go for much more. I don't think they were implying a lower market, but a great deal on the offered coin. The OP should have seen this as that and only that.
  • Options
    The coin looks nice. Someone got a great deal. The comparison to a 2009 auction was not relevant. They were pointing out that a) they don't trade that often and b) they can go for much more. I don't think they were implying a lower market, but a great deal on the offered coin. The OP should have seen this as that and only that.

Rather strange that excellent dealer like Legend ,would price a coin below market

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file