Home U.S. Coin Forum

UH9 - Did the US Mint decide to not run the UHR in Silver?

Looking on the US Mint's schedule for the year, I no longer see the UH9... Did they pull it completely?

Comments

• jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I am not remembering it correctly, but I thought that they had issued a statement saying that there were indeed pulling it. Thought I cannot remember specifically.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was pulled on June 23, when UH9 was pulled from the product schedule, and the placehold page on the Mint's web site disappeared. It wasn't until a couple months later that the mint confirmed they cancelled the product.

I suspect they couldn't get decent HR strikes on silver. Could also have been they couldn't justify another silver medal with the increased ASE production and the 4 presidential medals in the C&C sets.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... I was sorry to see that... was considering one for my collection... maybe next year.

Cheers, RickO
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    A silver version would have required congressional action.

The gold version can be authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury without a congressional mandate.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dentuck

This is only true for coins. By law, the mint can produce silver medals without congressional approval, so long as it doesn't interfere with normal operations. That's why UH9 was to be a silver medal, not a coin.
  • GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dentuck

The gold version can be authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury without a congressional mandate.

Neat. I just figured out who you are. We worked at Auragen together.

Chris

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file