Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very sad news....

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very sad news today. I had heard the reports on Wednesday, but today it was confirmed. A very nice gentleman by the name of Bentley Brookes was murdered at a bullion shop in Vancouver, WA that I frequented. He was a very warm hearted and helpful man. He treated my children very kindly and would give them paper and crayons to draw with while he and I conversed and looked at coins. I was going to go see him this weekend, until I heard the news. He will be missed and I hope they catch the scum bag that killed him.

They have released photo's of a suspect. I will be following this story and hopefully see it through to justice.

Vancouver Man Murdered KGW news story

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible and I send out my condolences to his family and friends.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the face of a murderer. These people are destroying our hobby, our love......I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. I'm sitting hear teary eyed in complete disbelief. He was the kindest person. He was the type you could just sense the vibes of his peaceful demeanor.

I feel deep sympathy for his family over this holiday weekend.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another animal taking the life of a good decent person. I'm so sick of this crap. I'm really sorry you lost a friend.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is horrible. Is it just me, or are we seeing an uptick in this sort of thing? Or is it just getting reposted on the boards more?

imageimage

PS- I made a modest donation via the "gofundme" link to the memorial page, and encourage everyone else to do the same. I did not know the victim at all, but do feel for the family of an innocent brother numismatist.

The suspect photos seem to be of pretty good quality for security footage. I'd say there's a good chance they'll nab this woman. Let's hope so, and hope she gets the book thrown at her.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merchants and vendors have been the target for at least 10 millenniums.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Merchants and vendors have been the target for at least 10 millenniums.

You are all very brave.

No one should forget that.

My condolences to Bentley's family and friends
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heartbreakingimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredibly sad and senseless.

My sincere condolence to you.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad and disturbing news. It seems like this is happening more and more these days to people in the coin and bullion industry. As it was in the late 1960s civil disorder is spreading.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just terrible. I can only imagine what Mr. Brookes' family and friends are going through. Thanks for the link to the donation page, Lord M.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for Lord M's link to the GoFundMe Page. See his above post.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sad indeed. Condolences to the family.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really sad and senseless. This is happening much too often these days.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I was hoping this was a bump of an older thread. My condolences to his family and all who knew him. Hopefully the subhuman pictured is caught and suffers immeasurably for this.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful news. Our condolences to his family. May justice be swift and harsh for the animal that did this.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    scary how little a human life means these day........image

My condolences to his family....
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad news for sure. condolences and best wishes to everyone involved.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad. The dealer I use has moved to a teller window setup w/bullet-proof gl*****.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible, terrible tragedy.... my condolences to friends and family. RickO
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I feel terrible on hearing this. B&M's are an easy mark for those
    who have no regard for human life. I agree with MessyDesk,
    I hope they find the person responsible for this crime and may
    she never see the light of day again.

Condolences to his family and friends.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1
    Awful news. Our condolences to his family. May justice be swift and harsh for the animal that did this.

+1
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

+1

+2
    I live in Vancouver. I will be following this. If they make an arrest, I will attend every court appearance. I want to see this piece of pig excrement get flushed down the toilet with the rest of the degenerate druggies in the world.

I believe in the death penalty. Unfortunately the last death sentence carried out in Washington was September 10, 2010. Governor Jay Inslee has put a moratorium on the death sentence, similar to what Governor Kitzhaber and now Governor Brown have down to our southern neighbor Oregon. They have done this with complete disregard as to what the citizens have voted to p*****. It's a shame what's happening before our eyes. Justice is no longer blindfolded, she has been turned around so her back is turned towards the victims and their families.
    The memorial fund was at $3K-something when I donated.

$4K-something when I last looked.

$6,335 as of this post, in a little over a day. image

Maybe these donations will at least pay a good chunk of the funeral expenses, and take that much stress off his wife and family, one hopes.

It looks like it caps out at $10K.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family and friends.
  • knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    Ditto: Condolences to his family and friends.

@Lordmarcovan. I don't think it will cap. My cousin died in an explosion inside a WWII era tank back just before Halloween. A donation site was set up for my uncle, aunt and cousins with a goal of $10,000.00 That goal was surp*****ed within two days. It is now just over $25,000.00. He was only 22 when he p*****ed.

This makes 4 deaths close to me personally in less than a month. I'm tired of it. The first was my cousin on October 27th, my grandmother (my mom's mom) on October 28th, my grandfather (my dad's dad) on October 29th and now Bentley on November 25th.
  • Very Sad!
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. Hope they catch the low life that did this.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No words describe my feelings...catch the bit*h.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

@Lordmarcovan. I don't think it will cap. My cousin died in an explosion inside a WWII era tank back just before Halloween. A donation site was set up for my uncle, aunt and cousins with a goal of $10,000.00 That goal was surp*****ed within two days. It is now just over $25,000.00. He was only 22 when he p*****ed.

This makes 4 deaths close to me personally in less than a month. I'm tired of it. The first was my cousin on October 27th, my grandmother (my mom's mom) on October 28th, my grandfather (my dad's dad) on October 29th and now Bentley on November 25th.

Ah, yes- it now says "$8,450 of $25k"!

So the ceiling stated is $25K now instead of $10K.

That's great. I think this online fundraising is cool, too. Had never really paid much attention to it before. As long as the funds make their way to the intended beneficiaries with a minimum of red tape and processing expense, I'm all for it. Gives people who feel outraged (and rightly so in this case) something more constructive to do with that energy.

JTLee- I hope you're through your rough patch now and things return to normal for a while.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad news
    Frank

BHNC #203

• LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I knew Bentley as-well. One of the most upstanding people in the hobby that I've ever met. Really sad that he was taken in this way.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    So very sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a sad end to what sounds like a wonderful and generous life.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan
    Really sad and senseless. This is happening much too often these days.

These are the times? The murder of cops is up as well. And it isn't just the bad cops/bad dealers getting the poetic justice. These are bad times for a lot of people and some are likely developing a hate when they learn they lost dearly from the investments they made. And some of those investments were likely with coins. And I believe a deception develops if they have thoughts like, well, the coin dealer is to blame if they talked them into buying coins. Personally, I think this is a bad time to be a coin, pawn shop, jewelry dealer and the like. The few bad apples out there, have they made us all targets? Granted, it takes only one nut job out of thousands to exercise the ultimate revenge, taking a life but it's happening at a more frequent pace and anyone could be next. I don't believe all these murders are just spur of the moment crimes taking place. And such people are such soft targets if they don't have the necessary guards in place to prevent someone from walking into their place with a gun.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow collector / dealer/ numismatic nut job… I donated $25 to the GoFundMe link Lordmarcovan posted. Challenging others to do the same, here.
    The comments on the gofundme page. Did they find a suspect? Certainly resembles her.

https://www.gofundme.com/prc5wzjz
    Because to Err is Human.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    She just walked in and shot him. Didn't even say anything.

http://koin.com/2015/12/02/murder-victim-was-the-epitome-of-kindness/
    Because to Err is Human.
    Thank God for karma. She got everything she deserved. I hope she is on her knee's in Hell weeping and begging to leave.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Karma is a b*tch.

Saved tax payers a lot of money too!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file