Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gem 1944-S Steel Cent in FUN Auction...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
Somebody please outbid me on this!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching that one and other FUN items! image

Probably won't outbid anyone though.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it steel? maybe its aluminum? seems weird they made multiple metals of the same error for people to collect one of each image
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I won't.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick with the 1942 zinc plated steel cent patterns but none has popped up in quite a while.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is Simpson breaking up his unique and complete set of 1943/1944 off metal cent errors? And why just this one coin?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like he may be cashing out before the high end market tanks. Cheers, RickO
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Looks like he may be cashing out before the high end market tanks. Cheers, RickO

Sounds about right to me...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope way out of my reach.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Sounds right
    Frank

BHNC #203

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to own two 1944 steels. The 1944 AU55 PCGS and 1944-D AU53 PCGS. Both sold at the Goldberg's February Pre-Long Beach sale in 2003. Brought between $30K and $35K each. I was happy then, as they were figured to be only $15K coins prior to that sale.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Andy the problem is that when you bid on something you want you really bid on it. I look forward to seeing your images of this coin.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Christos
    Andy the problem is that when you bid on something you want you really bid on it. I look forward to seeing your images of this coin.

Not likely this time.

FWIW, my prediction is that the coin ends up in a major NYC collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Roadrunner: "Why is Simpson breaking up his unique and complete set of 1943/1944 off metal cent errors? And why just this one coin?"

Simpson has duplicates; please read my current article. As far as I know, however, Simpson does not have the other of two known 1944-S steels. All three Philadelphia 1944 Steels in the FUN auction are or were owned by Simpson, as I explain. The Simpson 1944-D Steel is in this auction, too. Simpson's unique 1943-D copper is not in the auction. The 1943-S copper in this auction was NOT consigned by Simpson.

Why Are 1943 Copper and 1944 Steel Lincoln Cent Errors So Valuable?

I covered the gem 1944-S when it was auctioned in 2008

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analyst,

Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. I have one question though, where you stated that the 1944 stell cents were struck on left-over 1943 planchets. I thought the US Mint in Philadelphia was still using steel planchets to strike 2 Franc coins for Belgium, meaning the 1944 stell cents are more accurately described as struck on foreign planchets, as opposed to a transitional error.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

SeanQ:Analyst, ... Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. I have one question though, where you stated that the 1944 stell cents were struck on left-over 1943 planchets. I thought the US Mint in Philadelphia was still using steel planchets to strike 2 Franc coins for Belgium, meaning the 1944 stell cents are more accurately described as struck on foreign planchets, as opposed to a transitional error. ... Sean

I appreciate the positive feedback and the inquiry. Before attempting to properly answer this question, I admit that I am more of an expert in coins minted prior to 1934, classic U.S. coins, and American pre-1793 items. I am knowledgeable about some areas of British coins from earlier periods. I am not very knowledgeable about events at the Philadelphia Mint in 1944. In regard to this matter, I suggest contacting Roger Burdette, Saul Teichman or Bob Julian. Even so, I wish to share some information, which may be helpful.

The "2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins" (Iola, Wisconsin: Krause, 2009, p. 184) states that Belgian Two Francs coins were specified to be 2.75 grams of zinc coated steel; 19mm, 1944 only; Made in U.S.A. on blanks for 1943. One issue that immediately comes to mind is that the published weight for U.S. 1943 steel cents, on PCGS CoinFacts, is "2.7 grams," not 2.75 grams. Our friends ATS have published the same 2.70 grams figure in their respective guide. The "Numista" guide, which I know little about, provides the same 2.75 grams figure for 1944 Belgian Two Francs coins that is found in Krause Publications. Interestingly, the Wikipedia vaguely states that the 1944 Belgian Two Francs coins were made at the Philadelphia Mint in different weights, presumably implying that some weighed 2.70 grams when struck and some weighed 2.75 grams.

Either way, for the time being, I stand by my statement in my article. A likely explanation is that 1944 steel cents and some (or all?) 1944 Belgian Two Francs coins were struck from leftover 1943 steel cent planchets. The mintage for the 1944 Belgian Two Francs issue in Philadelphia was just 25 million, a minuscule fraction of the number of 1943 steel cent planchets that were prepared. More than 680 million 1943 steel cents were minted in Philadelphia, and mint personnel may have been ready to make many more. 1943 steel cents were not popular with the general public.

http://en.numista.com/catalogu...ogue/pieces3103.htm[/L

Past Article From 2008: 1943-S copper and 1944-S steel errors, Part 1

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file