Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 10 Greatest Lincoln Cents in Existence

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
Post your candidates, please.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image courtesy of coingallery.org

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Wow... I didn't even know there was a '58 doubled die.

Great stuff in this thread!
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Thread

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins

I want one of these for my 1936-1942 proof set. Maybe in a few decades...
  • NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    John Story Jenks/ McCullagh 1909 vdb matte proof Lincoln should be on the list. I don't have picture handy, perhaps someone could post it.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NVU
    John Story Jenks/ McCullagh 1909 vdb matte proof Lincoln should be on the list. I don't have picture handy, perhaps someone could post it.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I did not know two of the above coins existed. How many 1958 doubled dies are known? Never knew about the steel 42 proof either - that is an amazing coin. Is it unique?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: david3142
    Never knew about the steel 42 proof either - that is an amazing coin. Is it unique?

It's aluminum, not steel, and it is unique.

Andy Lustig

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    Originally posted by: david3142
    Never knew about the steel 42 proof either - that is an amazing coin. Is it unique?

It's aluminum, not steel, and it is unique.

The discovery was posted right here back in 2008. Very exciting times on the forums and one of the classic threads IMO image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are there no" Lincoln looks at Kennedy" pennies included in the list?image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    the mythical 1964 sms...estimated mintage of a mere 40-60

out-shadow's many lincolns in that respect but prices don't reflect it

the only thing known about them is their discovery facts

any information beyond that is speculation or opinion based

to me

these will always be in a top 10 lincoln category

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

My 10 would have a place for the 1982 cluster. I think it has a slightly nicer look than the 1979-D cluster but that one is nice as well.

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: blu62vette

Originally posted by: NVU

Can ANYONE tell me who owns THIS coin today? Where the coin is today? I know it was purchased from the McCullagh auction at the 2014 ANA Worlds Fair of Money. I know it was offered for sale during the October 2014 until early 2015. Does ANYONE know the whereabouts of this very valuable 1909VDB MPL that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars at the ANA auction?

Steveimage

Can ANYONE tell me who owns THIS coin today? Where the coin is today? I know it was purchased from the McCullagh auction at the 2014 ANA Worlds Fair of Money. I know it was offered for sale during the October 2014 until early 2015. Does ANYONE know the whereabouts of this very valuable 1909VDB MPL that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars at the ANA auction?
    Steveimage

You can always make an offer through Heritage. It sold for $258,500 at 2014 ANA image

The PCGS 06656545 cert verification image is interesting.

Here's the photo from McCullagh's Registry Set:

• CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jerseycat101
    Image courtesy of coingallery.org

+1 Jerseycat101 !!
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it not in the hoard?
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never have a coin to contribute . . .

But WOW . .

WHAT A THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunner
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is Stewart Blay when you need him?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about one that might not exist, but if it did, would get my vote.

Y'know how a few late-date Indian cents got struck on gold quarter-eagle planchets?

What if that had happened for a few early - date Lincoln cents, too?

That would be pretty neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I am hoping after getting my 1911 MPL looked at that it will become a noteworthy coin.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take a dozen of each please...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea about the 1958 double die. I have subscribed to Coin World and Numismatic News for 35+ years

and I do not remember any article or announcement. Surely would have been front page news. Whats the history

behind it and known population?
    Originally posted by: Tibor
    I had no idea about the 1958 double die. I have subscribed to Coin World and Numismatic News for 35+ years and I do not remember any article or announcement. Surely would have been front page news. Whats the history behind it and known population?

You haven't been subscribed for long enough image

These were announced nearly 50 years ago in Coin World (Jan 1966). The known pop is 2, discovered at the same time in the same mint sewn bag, PCGS MS65RD and PCGS MS64RD. These are owned by Stewart Blay and Pete Miller respectively. Del Romines claims to have seen 3 coins, but the third is unverified.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how far down the 1909-S VDB cent has fallen from its heyday in the 1960's!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    story on the 58 ddo?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joebb21

story on the 58 ddo?

It is talked about in the CPG:

Some believe only 2 examples exist and that the source was either directly

or indirectly from a US Mint Employee in Philly. The variety was first reported

during ERRORAMA in Cherry Hill, NJ in 1983 or 1984.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'know how a few late-date Indian cents got struck on gold quarter-eagle planchets?

What if that had happened for a few early - date Lincoln cents, too?

There's a 1915 out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it.
    Andy Lustig

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread rocks. The only thing we are missing is a photo of the '63 Lincoln that sold for 40K and later turned in the holder. That's a slightly twisted definition of "greatness" but I think it qualifies image
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Swampboy
    Great Thread

+1 image
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoins, thanks for the info. You would think with all of the wheatie collectors a few more would have surfaced. Thanks once again!!!
  • Never knew about the steel 42 proof either - that is an amazing coin.

A little more info on that coin here:

http://www.lincolncentsonline....erimental%20Cents.html
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DRUNNER
    I will never have a coin to contribute . . .

But WOW . .

WHAT A THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea about the 1958 double die. I have subscribed to Coin World and Numismatic News for 35+ years

and I do not remember any article or announcement. Surely would have been front page news. Whats the history

behind it and known population?

Leave it to Rick to come up with something off the wall. I have heard and seen images of this DDO, and forgot about it. Nice list so far...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Steveimage

You can always make an offer through Heritage. It sold for $258,500 at 2014 ANA image

The verification image looks like the Secure Plus image. One would like to think that an actual TrueView would be on that page.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    How about the 1959 LWC Mule? ...or has it been debunked???

The Mystery Of The 1959-d Mule Lincoln Cent

Originally posted by: oih82w8
    Steveimage

The verification image looks like the Secure Plus image. One would like to think that an actual TrueView would be on that page.

This is an interesting one. This could be before Secure Plus included TrueView but there should at least be a CoinFacts image. PCGS CoinFacts does have its own image but it's different from what's listed on Cert Verification.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing cents shown here... what a great thread.... makes me want to start searching my gallons of wheaties.... would love to see a Lincoln on a gold

planchet....Cheers, RickO
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011

I want one of these for my 1936-1942 proof set. Maybe in a few decades...

What you could do... is submit a 1942 proof and ask Phil for a black and white TrueView image About as close as you can get to owning one!

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea about the 1958 double die. I have subscribed to Coin World and Numismatic News for 35+ years and I do not remember any article or announcement. Surely would have been front page news. Whats the history behind it and known population?

You haven't been subscribed for long enough image

These were announced nearly 50 years ago in Coin World (Jan 1966). The known pop is 2, discovered at the same time in the same mint sewn bag, PCGS MS65RD and PCGS MS64RD. These are owned by Stewart Blay and Pete Miller respectively. Del Romines claims to have seen 3 coins, but the third is unverified.

John Wexler devoted an entire chapter to these coins in his book on Lincoln Cent doubled dies. I do not think anyone disputes that they are a genuine Mint product. Most telling is that the doubling is Class V (pivoted hub), and a counterfeiter at that time would have likely mimicked the Class I doubling seen on the 1955 DDO.

However, John was reluctant to list them as he believed the coins were surrepticiously removed from the Mint, and that additional examples were non existent. The original owner was a retired Mint employee who claimed he found them in a Mint sewn bag around 1960. There was another burst of publicity when the coins were certified and sold, I remember threads here and in the Registry Forum debating the inclusion of the coin in the complete variety set.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • My therory on the 1964 sms penny is that they moved the final set of proof dies from Philadelphia to Sanfrancisco and stuck a few proof sets an these where given to special peeps to comemorate the moveing the strikeing of proof coins from one mint to another.The sms sets produced to cover the transition.The "p" or plain or no mm in 64,65,66,67 conceals this transition.The 1964 proof sets in clear cello and the 1965 sms sets in clear cello.This is why I'm so big on the 1965 sms sets in cello.In cello means uncirculated,untouched where as the 66&67 have to be removed from a box.The 1965 sms sets only 2.3 mil minted .Kinda adds up to low mintage and unique in the big picture.How many are left?
    Mark Anderson
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely some sweet eye candy in here.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut
    Is it not in the hoard?

TDN, If memory serves, this coin is indeed part of "The hoard".

Later, Paul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file