Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1958 HK-748: R7 Convair Astronautics SCD (12 Minted)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 3:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Here's a R7 SCD currently available from Jeff. I thought this was cool because you almost never see low mintage SCDs.

The story for this is even cooler. This version was given to every 10,000th guest. There may have been over 120,000 total guests as there were 125,000 aluminum versions struck, resulting in 12 10,000th guests.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love a SCD with 12 minted.
  • Options

<< <i>Gotta love a SCD with 12 minted. >>

Even more so since the 12 were issued.

It would be neat to have this in a PCGS slab with a TrueView.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, there was another one on eBay in June. Prior to these two, I'd never seen another.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gotta love a SCD with 12 minted. >>

Even more so since the 12 were issued.

It would be neat to have this in a PCGS slab with a TrueView. >>

Or a dual slab, this next to the common aluminum one

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>Oddly, there was another one on eBay in June. Prior to these two, I'd never seen another. >>

Good to know. I missed that one. That sold for $676.67 on June 15, 2015. There were three bidders at $650 and above.

Here are the photos:

imageimage
  • Options
    Anyone know who "tamsguy67" on eBay is for naming purposes? If not, we can call the June specimen the tamsguy67 specimen and the top one the Shevlin specimen.

It can be fun when there are only a few pieces to keep track of.
  • Options
    For an update:

The Shevlin specimen was sold for $525.00 on August 30, 2015.
    The tamsguy67 specimen was sold for $676.67 on June 15, 2015.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it may sound funny, but R7 SC$'s are more common than you'd think. they just aren't offered for sale at venues such as eBay that often so it ends up being a paradox of sorts. from my perspective there are two ways of collecting these medals ---
    R1-R4 in high grade since they tend to be readily available.
    R5 and above in the best grade you can afford.

Part 2 of the catalogue where this item is found has many R5 and above listings, maybe the bulk of the total simply because they were issued for an affair with a very localized distribution. I think they may have been easier for Hibler-Kappen to catalogue since they were more localized but numbers are skewed because the issuers tended to not keep good, concise records. I also think they may tend to be kept by families. I live about 35 miles west of Conneaut, Ohio where a celebration was held in 1896: a single medal is listed as HK-638(R6) but I see bronze examples often enough to believe it must be an R4. I suspect most collectors never see this issue unless they live close to where the event was held. but enough for my analysis.

if I was interested in the Convair Type, I think I'd hold out for an HK-747 struck in Copper. I'm not saying it has been done, but since the HK-748 is a Gold plated HK-749 I would be suspicious of any medal offered.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP title stated "Aeronautics" and the medallion has "Astronautics"...the title is what drew me in but this type of medallion is too far out for me. It has been a while since I had any dealings with General Dynamics.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    the title is in error since the medal is listed in the catalogue as "Astronautics" the same as the medal. I'm sure it was an oversight by the OP and he'll correct it when he reads our posts.
  • Options

<< <i>if I was interested in the Convair Type, I think I'd hold out for an HK-747 struck in Copper. I'm not saying it has been done, but since the HK-748 is a Gold plated HK-749 I would be suspicious of any medal offered. >>

Is there a good way to tell whether the plating was original or new?

BTW, the title has been fixed. Thanks!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad that such a scarce SCD has such a poor design.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's too bad that such a scarce SCD has such a poor design. >>

Back then not must was in space yet. Our so we thought. image

• Options

without being able to study several of the plated medals and several of the aluminum medals I can't see how anyone could tell when a medal was plated.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a good way to tell whether the plating was original or new?

without being able to study several of the plated medals and several of the aluminum medals I can't see how anyone could tell when a medal was plated. >>

Given the above, I've been wondering if any of these will ever be slabbed. It would be nice if these would be slabbed by our hosts but how to tell is an interesting question.
  • Options
    Here are the two HK-748's matted for posterity. Only 10 more to go image

• Options
    The June 15th specimen was purchased by-- tokens1863--it is now the Bill G specimen. As I already have the copper HK-747 and believe only 2 probably exist-- I had been "holding out" for the gold plated HK-748 so as to lay claim to having the ONLY complete set. What most collectors don't know is that the HK-747 is like the HK-590a copper So Called Dollar and is 4mm thick.

Bill G
    Bill G
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the design does absolutely nothing for me.

But if I collected SCDs (and my slide into exonumia grows ever steeper by the day), then... yeah. A mintage of twelve pieces is certainly something.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Do the two HK-748s above appear to be from different dies? Specifically, the last "A" in ASTRONAUTICS on the obverse and CONVAIR on the reverse appear to be different. These differences can also be seen on various HK-749 specimens. With 125,000 struck, it would make sense that they had different dies.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure makes me wonder how certain nothing designs made the H-K book and others did not.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zoins

without being able to study several of the plated medals and several of the aluminum medals I can't see how anyone could tell when a medal was plated.

Given the above, I've been wondering if any of these will ever be slabbed. It would be nice if these would be slabbed by our hosts but how to tell is an interesting question.

Just found out that NGC does slab gold-plated SCDs, with this HK-337 Pike's Peak NGC MS62 Shevlin specimen. The NGC MS65 Hibler specimen is also slabbed by NGC. Would be nice to see HK-337 and HK-748 with TrueViews.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: billycgribble

The June 15th specimen was purchased by-- tokens1863--it is now the Bill G specimen. As I already have the copper HK-747 and believe only 2 probably exist-- I had been "holding out" for the gold plated HK-748 so as to lay claim to having the ONLY complete set. What most collectors don't know is that the HK-747 is like the HK-590a copper So Called Dollar and is 4mm thick.

Bill G

Thanks Bill. Good to know. Did you try getting it slabbed? When I have some time, I'll update it to the Gribble specimen in the image.
  • Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Pioneer

My complete set....

http://so-calleddollar.com/For...ages.aspx?TopicID=7822

Wow! That's very awesome. It's very cool to see that set and nice to know that ATS certifies all metals. Never saw the "More Air Force Per Dollar" and like it a lot. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Nice coin but not for me at this time.
  • Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    A different piece in the so-called dollar series (HK-743) is North American Aviation. This is a US Air Force variety for that piece.

image[/URL]

So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Pioneer

A different piece in the so-called dollar series (HK-743) is North American Aviation. This is a US Air Force variety for that piece.

Nice piece. HK-743 is interesting because it marks a 25th Anniversary in 1953. Good to know this variety exists and that NGC will slab it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file