Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What kind of rarity do you enjoy best?

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you like the finest graded per the TPG PCGS/NGC as well as CAC?

OR

Owning a coin that is the rarest regardless of grade?

Here is an example of something that floored me. I bought a 1955 DDO cent in PCGS MS-65 Red in 1997.
In 2008, it received a CAC sticker. I was shocked to discover that CAC has never stickered any other 65 RD graded one!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally prefer absolute rarity over condition rarity, but I can respect both in their own right.

In general though, I place more value and "cool factor" on coins that are rare regardless of grade.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rarest regardless of grade (absolute rarity), although I generally won't be happy with anything too far below VF. I lose interest when it takes more imagination than eyesight to perceive what the engraver intended.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I focus on absolute rarity with the added requirement of being highly original. Generally gold coins with total extant populations under 100 with good skin.

This seems to be a good model to challenge me and excite me when I find a coin and restrictive enough to space purchases out far enough for me to not have to pass on coin after coin due to capital requirements.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Absolute rarity. Condition rarity is subject to too much manipulation, and at its extremes results in prices that are much higher than I would have to pay for a coin that pleases my eye.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Condition rarity disappears as soon as you crack the slab
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multi-denominational clashed die coins are at the top of my list.
    Larry

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the absolute rarity camp. Condition rarity doesn't mean much to me.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy owning a coin that is rare for the grade regardless of what a sticker company has to say about it.

Too many collectors, who have limited or no confidence in their ability to grade coins, believe that a grading holder plus a sticker make a coin "golden." As "Sportn' Life" sang in "Porgie and Bess," "It ain't Necessasarily So."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolute Rarity is my preference. But putting both absolute and condition rarity together is a real hoot.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no substitute for absolute rarity, but what I really prefer is coins with character. Sometimes that can be exceptional toning, perfect strike on a usually-mushy date, or a great story behind how it came to me.

Condition rarity can't be ignored though. Some coins, like Peace dollars, are just ugly in anything but gem grades.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolute rarity! Condition rarity is essentially just an opinion.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although rarity is attractive (absolute), I focus mainly on the coin itself. Do I find it attractive, interesting history (such as gold rush date, civil war etc), or perhaps I do not have an example in my collection. I just like coins.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On business strikes, I will take absolute rarity. On proofs, I will take eye appeal (a variant of condition rarity that is not quite the same thing as numerical grade).
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to own something rare that if cracked out would still be valued at the same amount without the TPG opinion & mickey mouse extras.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that those (which seems to be nearly 100% of the responses) are not dissing condition rarities but rather offering reasoned
    analysis for why they feel absolute rarities are better for them.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that CAC finally approved a second 1900-O DMPL, for a long time I had the only one in all grades/services. Kind of fun.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Condition rarity disappears as soon as you crack the slab >>

Hardly. I have owned several finest known seated coins in the past, and they still rank as #1 regardless of the holder or grade assigned....or even if raw. Sometimes, the holder is just superfluous. Or sometimes, the holder gets in the way and confuses/disrupts the rankings. I learned to buy the best possible coin before the TPG's came around.

My focus has always been to find a date that is scarce in its own right (ie 100-350 pieces known in all grades) and then go out and find the best uncs you can.....ideally in the top 1-3 coins for date/mm. I've done that about a dozen times with seated S and O mints. It helped too that very few others were doing the same thing at that time.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many different types of rarity...so little time. image

The idea of multiple types of rarity is actually at the core of my collecting strategy. I think, like Bill mentioned, that rarity is more than just condition or absolute. For me a coin must have at least one of these five:

1. "Appearance rarity" This can be a completely common coin in an absolute sense, but it must have a look or eye appeal that would make it at least a challenge to replace. This 1857 quarter and 1908-D eagle are examples of this. Both are common coins. A coin MUST have this type of rarity to be included in my collection. In other words, an 1822 half eagle with a big hole in it, wouldn't be considered. (I'd flip it though. image)

2. "Variety rarity" While similar to absolute rarity, I will occasionally buy a coin because I like variety rarity. Rarely if ever have I ever pursued a variety...it is more akin to some salt and pepper sprinkled on your steak. Good without it, but even better with. image The two coins below fall into that category. Both are R4 with great "appearance rarity" as well.

3. "Grade rarity" This is generally something that is happened upon rather than searched for, but to a knowledgable numismatist it can be so much fun. Bill talked about it in his post. Knowing what coins are generally not found in a specific state of preservation. For me, one of the few coins that I really regret not holding onto was a 1929 half eagle in extra fine. Indian Half Eagle collectors know that 1929 half eagles almost always come as UNCs and sliders, but try finding one in circ condition! This 1912 isn't nearly as cool as that, but I bought it based on the fact that you never see well worn and problem free eye appealing coins like this. Could you easily put together a set of these in this grade?

4. "Condition rarity" This type or rarity I think is the most controversial. Topooceans in his post said that condition rarity disappears as soon as you crack a coin out of a slab. I think that is only a half truth. For very common coins with high mintages and survival rates in the super grades (68 and higher), I think this is true. But condition rarity on many coins doesn't disappear with the slab. Those are the kinds that I like to focus in on. These coins tend to be among my favorites in the collection as they almost always combine wonderful eye appeal. There is also real recognition that they are the best that can be found. These two come to mind. All can be found pretty easily in lower grades, but near impossible to replace in this level of preservation.

5. "Absolute rarity" As one might expect, when subjecting a collection to multiple rarity standards, this is the coin I have fewest of. They also tend to be the hardest to find outside of really esoteric pieces that don't have the same design allure of "mainstream" numismatics. I would say that I only have one in the collection that falls into this category, although relativity always comes into play. This coin is special in that it is rare in nearly any condition so it has absolute rarity while at the same time having exceptional "appearance rarity" and "condition rarity", since it is the finest known. Enjoy!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to collect low mintage coin issues that were heavily circulated and not saved in MS. In addition to that, the nicely struck examples of those issues that aren't usually struck well. This pretty much describes good Early Walkers! So, YES, I like both condition and absolute rarity coins in gem or near gem. I guess that I lean more towards absolute rarity, if I had to choose just one.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolute rarity! Condition rarity is essentially just an opinion. >>

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like to collect low mintage coin issues that were heavily circulated and not saved in MS. In addition to that, the nicely struck examples of those issues that aren't usually struck well. This pretty much describes good Early Walkers! So, YES, I like both condition and absolute rarity coins in gem or near gem. I guess that I lean more towards absolute rarity, if I had to choose just one. >>

This also aptly describes what I like, certain New Orleans mint Barber Halves and Quarters.
    It's all I have anymore. XF and AU coins with pops in the single digits.
    Yes.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Love this coin. It's perfect.
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer absolute rarity - easier to understand. Though, if I can get both, it's the best case.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to buy key date and choose absolute rarity over condition rarity, even settling for marginal coins just to get the date I wanted. However over the past year or so, if a coin is not all there and exceptional, I just pass.

I only have left in my collection exceptional pieces. I sold off most everything else. I have even started to pick up a type coin or two that is exceptional, just because its fun to own.

For example, just recently acquired a classic head large cent in CAC gold, one of only 4 in existence. graded like three grades light.

The market seems to prefer this method as well over the past several years
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the dissenting voice and state that I generally prefer condition rarity. It's really all about
    eye appeal for me. I almost never buy the highest grade extant, though. Too much of a premium
    in most cases. The trick is finding pieces at a grade or two lower that look as good or better.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Rare - top pops -and pop 1's all in oneimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Just RARE.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to buy key date and choose absolute rarity over condition rarity, even settling for marginal coins just to get the date I wanted. However over the past year or so, if a coin is not all there and exceptional, I just pass.

I only have left in my collection exceptional pieces. I sold off most everything else. I have even started to pick up a type coin or two that is exceptional, just because its fun to own.

For example, just recently acquired a classic head large cent in CAC gold, one of only 4 in existence. graded like three grades light.

The market seems to prefer this method as well over the past several years >>

would love to see images of the Classic Head Large Cent!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmb, that's a killer half dollar!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with condition rarity (top pop) especially moderns is that the pop numbers can change at any time causing a plumet in value.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collection is geared toward eye appeal, particularly to my tastes so I tend to favor condition rarity. Does not mean I don't appreciate absolute rarity. It is just that I prefer to own things of beauty.
    More importantly,Coinlieutenant's 1872 half is smoking! Tremendous.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Love this coin. It's perfect. >>

cool coin.
  • Options
    Anyone have a 1974 Panama un centesimo b.u. minted at west point.Would this be or become a rarity though its a world coin minted in the U.S.?
    10,000,000minted and all went into circulation and tough to find now.
    Just curious.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be the dissenting voice and state that I generally prefer condition rarity. It's really all about
    eye appeal for me. I almost never buy the highest grade extant, though. Too much of a premium
    in most cases. The trick is finding pieces at a grade or two lower that look as good or better. >>

This is how I like to collect as well.

My favorite coins are chUnc's and my favorite chUnc's are Gems. I look for coins that
    aren't usually found in Unc like most US and world moderns. I'll trade off lower grades
    and more common coins. I collect some older coins as well but most of them I can af-
    ford only XF/ AU.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something dark or having such iridescence on the skin, as to make me salivate.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Buy rare coins that have good taste or taste good?

Large Gold Foiled Milk Chocolate Coins 1LB Bag

imageimage
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy eye appeal best.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prefer coins with eye appeal and a great history. If they are rare, so much the better.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinlieut's foci are an education in how to thoughtfully educate (and attune) yourself numismatically. Lots of viewing, lots of scholarship, much thought as to both personal preference and what "market niches" he chooses to participate within.

It's the logic and the knowledge most of us use intuitively. Thoughtfully organizing it into an action plan is more difficult. But, QED, very fruitful

While a friend and supporter of JA and CAC, I think they totally blew it on the 1912 $5. In this instance, there are two ways to "play" the system. Based on pop data, it is very worthy of a "Poor Man's" Registry Set of gold. Also, to further its status, consider a "guarantee resubmission" to downgrade it. If you get lucky with a VG08, a gold bean is a potential two-way play. image

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    duplicate post
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unique Major Error Coins
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    For those who like absolute rarity , does that also include "GENUINE" pieces ? I collect (as a side collection) low mintage quarter Eagles .. my restriction was under 10,000 minted.
  • Options
    My vote is for absolute rarity although condition census + absolute rarity = nirvana.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer absolute rarity, but will no longer buy a coin that has no eye-appeal or just marginal for the grade regardless of how rare. I only want to own exceptional pieces.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Rarity, rare.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jdimmick
    I prefer absolute rarity, but will no longer buy a coin that has no eye-appeal or just marginal for the grade regardless of how rare. I only want to own exceptional pieces.

Ugly or very low grade = no purchase from me, no matter how rare it is.

• Options
    An Absolute Rarity, not a condition rarity..

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Million dollar widgets are no different than the rest of them. They just cost more.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Just like before, RARE is best because most folks don't have one of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file