Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Polishing scratches off of slabs

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there anything available to polish scratches and not-to-deep gouges off of PCGS slabs?

I would be looking for results that make the slab look "good as new."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

PlastX and a soft cloth works well.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brasso works well. The label even says that it can be used to remove scratches from acrylic watch crystals.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 3 step plastic auto headlight restorer solution purchased at an auto supply store. It takes a little "elbow grease" but works great!

By the way, does anyone know where to purchase elbow grease? image
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 850 ✭✭
    I wondered about possibly removing those scratches.

Brasso, huh? A flashback from my old Army days. I'll give it a try!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the drill at Lowes and it supplies the elbow grease. image
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Black & Decker Elbow Grease!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Headlight polishes do good work. Just don't get carried away creating heat. Plastic melts with too much speed.

Been there.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got ahold of some of the recommended PLASTX at the Walmart.I've got a chip in the plastic right in the center of the coin.It's deep enough to cause a shadow to be cast onto the coin. My Dremel is being put to work to do the actual buffing work.The goal is to completely eliminate this shadow.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay Link

Works great!

edited to add: Appears to have gone up in price from when I bought my jar.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't use acetone to clean your slabs.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I have used Slab-Renew. It works great.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlastX is the best I've found. Tried Novus. Slab-Renew is nothing more than Novus repackaged at a higher price.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got ahold of some of the recommended PLASTX at the Walmart.I've got a chip in the plastic right in the center of the coin.It's deep enough to cause a shadow to be cast onto the coin. My Dremel is being put to work to do the actual buffing work.The goal is to completely eliminate this shadow. >>

Be careful with the Dremel. If you are not careful you can do more damage with the little polishing bits. I like the 3 step headlight renew kits. Had a slab not too long ago that was melted(probably from acetone) and you could barely see the coin. Sanded and polished by hand and the slab was crystal clear.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

eBay Link

Works great!

edited to add: Appears to have gone up in price from when I bought my jar. >>

Thanks GB,

I just ordered a bottle off your eBay link.

OINK
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the car detailing box ...

Meguiar's #10 Clear Plastic Polish
    Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner

Both work well. #17 is more aggressive and #10 is for light scratches or just to provide a bit of a gloss.

Meguiar's PlastX works well and is easier to find and less expensive.

Hand cleaning and polishing with a soft cloth works well. I have not been brave enough to try mechanical assistance with a Dremel or drill.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the drill the key is keep it wet and slow, just a little at a time so you never build up heat which softens the plastic. Have polished several hundred slabs and never damaged any.
    I never used my Dremel as I felt the speed was too high. Mine was one of the older ones without a speed control.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Meguiar's PlastX works well and is easier to find and less expensive. >>

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions on removing scratches from Coin Slabs. -- I plan to purchase some Meguiar's PlastX and give it a try on this and other scratched slabs...

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlastX. Rub rub rub.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend buying some cheap modern slabbed widgets to practice on if you're going to use a Dremel. One trick with the plastX that I've used is to heat up the slab (just a little) under some Halogens before going to work on it. I discovered this by accident when doing photos. It seems to go a little faster than when working on cold plastic.

For very deep gouges, there's nothing wrong with starting with a very fine sandpaper. The slab will be completely opaque after this step, but you can start with some rough grit and finish up with a light grit & fine polish. It isn't hard to get it perfectly clear again. It sure beats the trouble of the shipping, re-slab, shipping, re-sticker, shipping dance.
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    actually was doing some polishing today with SLAB-RENEW. It works very well on PCGS holders.
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddies and I have been using our rotary machine silver jewelry polish wheels on them. Mirrors then out in a few seconds.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ms70

PlastX. Rub rub rub.

Rubba dub dub

There aint no sub

stitute! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file