Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Henry Ford's "Help The Other Fellow" cents

RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently purchased a set of these (copper, sterling silver, and gold-plated).

The dies were prepared in 1917, but because of the outbreak of World War I, the project was canceled. In 1963, these "coins" were struck to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Henry Ford's birth.

So, I decided to post pix of the 3 "coins" (they are uniface, except for the manufacturer's name (Wehring Detroit), and "Sterling" appears on the silver one. Enjoy!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat... Wondering if these had been cut to be distributed due to some of the derogatory comments Thomas Elder made on his 1917 tokens about Ford calling him a pacifist for being against going to war?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy had one of these in her penny exonumia thread.
    I just ttt'd it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thanks, CaptHenway!

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Cool little group there. Are they the size of a US cent?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options

<< <i>Cool little group there. Are they the size of a US cent? >>

Diameter is very slightly greater than a U. S. cent. Maybe they did that so they didn't get charged with counterfeiting.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Neat!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is something I had never seen before. I like those!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I might still like the reeded edge racketeer nickels better image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I only have the copper version in my Penny Potpourri exhibit. Here's the information I have in my exhibit about this "cent":

Henry Ford’s personal motto was "Help the other fellow," so in 1917, he decided to spread his adage through a special coin designed to resemble a Lincoln penny. The company commissioned Weyhing Brothers to create a die based on a photograph of Henry at age 30 and produced a few bronze prototypes. However, Henry's wife, Clara, thought the coin should display a more current image of her husband who was 54 at the time. Before a new die was created, however, the project was cancelled when the United States entered World War I. The original die sat in storage for over 40 years.

Then, in 1963, the Ford Motor Company celebrated the centennial of Henry Ford's birth. So Weyhing Brothers dusted off the old 1917 dies and produced bronze, silver, and gold-plated versions of the coin and distributed them at various community events.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a cool thing to see, many thanks
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a different view of Henry Ford, A Titan of Industry -- and a Bigot. Businessweek called Ford "America's most notorious anti-semite" for much of the 20th century. And his welfare capitalism (the $5 workday, e.g.) was driven less by altruism and helping the other worker than by reigning-in heavy turnover and acquiring the best workers.

It made good business sense. Competitors followed suit, it helped the economy, and workers had more money to buy his cars.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting....and thanks for the history Charmy.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a different view of Henry Ford, A Titan of Industry -- and a Bigot. Businessweek called Ford "America's most notorious anti-semite" for much of the 20th century. And his welfare capitalism (the $5 workday, e.g.) was driven less by altruism and helping the other worker than by reigning-in heavy turnover and acquiring the best workers.

It made good business sense. Competitors followed suit, it helped the economy, and workers had more money to buy his cars.
    Lance. >>

Yeah Ford was definitely not about helping the other fellow as during the Great Depression he felt that unemployment was primarily the fault of poor people and was quoted stating the following "I do not believe in routine charity. I think it a shameful thing that any man should have to stoop to take it, or give it. I do not include human helpfulness under the name of charity. My quarrel with charity is that it is neither helpful nor human. The charity of our cities is the most barbarous thing in our system with the possible exception of our prisons."
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Cool to see two other metals used for these that I just learned about (thanks to Charmy)
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stumbled across this thread. Nice piece and slogan.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford, ever the ardent Capitalist sold off the tooling, plans etc for the Model A truck to Soviet Russia in 1928 and then encouraged many workers to go over there and work in the GAZ plant in Russia. When the Great Depression happened many, ie about 2800 people took him up on the offer and emigrated to Russia. The great majority of them were never heard from again after about 1937. Then there was Henry Ford and Adolf Hitler, there is a whole other story.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file