Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for the people who carry "Pocket Pieces"

LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone who carries a Pocket Piece ever damaged their coin by dropping it one way or another? Worse yet, has anyone ever lost their pocket piece? image

If so, lets hear the story.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course! It is the nature of the game that eventually it gets lost.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my pocket pieces go into a jar at the end of the day. Rarely do they end up in slabs and it seems more get hoarded than dropped, lost , or spent. Eventually they become laundry money, tax on purchases, or deposits into a bank. I've tried, but most pocket pieces fast become history.
  • themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Haven't experienced any damage. However, the sites require occasional adjustment.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my dcarr copper pieces goes missing a lot. It did a 6 month stint in the couch jail, thought I had lost it in the wild. I drop my norfed all the time when I'm flipping it at the bar.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a George Washington and a Thomas Jefferson dollar one of each I got from first day of release rolls I got and started carrying back then as pocket pieces.
    Both have been dropped several time and no ill effects on either, clad stands up to use quite well. Other than the finish dulling doing quite well but now spend most of their time in the change jug as many days since retiring I don't put any change in my pocket as I use very little money out here.
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    I carried a '72 Ike from my sophomore year in HS ('72) thinking it would be wise to always have at least a buck on me. Well, I lost that one on a plane about 30 years later - by then it was worn smooth. Went out and have a second '72 Ike in my pocket now that is going on about year 10. I also have an 1808 4 reales that I've carried since a trip to Mexico in '04, a '96 Morgan that I've carried since a trip to Manhattan, KS in '08, a Washington dollar since it came out and a '36 CBH whose obverse is almost gone. A heavy pocket that starts and supports lots of conversations.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Pocket pieces are like expensive sunglasses. The more they're worth, the quicker I'll lose them. I carry an Ike and wear $20 shades. I'll probably be buried with both some day.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a bicentennial half and a dateless 1913 buffalo 5c.
    Not too tragic when dropped or if they get lost.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm new to this concept. What's the purpose - to wear it down for a Low Ball registry set, or to have access to show people about your hobby?
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone who carries a Pocket Piece ever damaged their coin by dropping it one way or another? Worse yet, has anyone ever lost their pocket piece?

Yes and yes. Many times over.

Years ago, when silver was around $7/oz, I used to carry an old 1901-O Morgan. One day, it dropped down an elevator shaft where I worked. Fortunately, I was on the ground floor when it happened and it did not fall too far. Spoke with the guard who talked to the elevator guy and a few days later, it was returned. Nice flat spot on the rim. A few months later, I left it in my pocket and took the pants to the cleaners. Never saw the coin again.

My current PP is a 71P Ike. Been carrying it for about 18 months now. Started out a nice MS63 or so. Its pretty worn now, but has a couple of rim dings from dropping it. If I lose it, I'm out a buck and I'll start over. My goal is to get it down as close to basal state as possible before I lose it.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, lost a 1879cc Morgan on a flight from SF to Vegas. Fell out of my pocket I presume.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry an 1878 CC Morgan. It was lost for a couple weeks. I found between the driver's seat and the console when I cleaned out my truck.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a holed 1857 Flying eagle cent on my key chain, no worries here.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2006 ASE I've been packing around since I joined the Forum here.
    I had a denarius of Vespasian I carried for four plus years but it slipped out of the pocket of a pair of dress slacks while I was in an awkward position.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    What else do you guys have in the pocket with the coin? I imagine other pocket change is common. But what about house/car keys? I can see those causing scratches, but then over time perhaps it helps with the wear and all works out in the end?
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a 1948 Mexico 10 peso, a 1965 Canada 1 Dollar and a 1963 Franklin half

its my pocket NAFTA Collectionimage Never lost them, but they are showing wear after
    15 years, there definitly not BU anymore

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a krugerrand a few weeks back to pocket piece. But it's a '76 in MS65+ condition and I just can't bring myself to do it. image

The last pocket piece I had was a gorgeous patina'd AG-G peace dollar. I carried it for 2 or 3 months then accidentally washed it--wiping out all of the patina image

Like the Capt'n said: It's the nature of pocket pieces.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    A '21 Morgan & an '82 GW Commem that have been carried for several years. . . Started as UNC . . . Now down to around fine.
    Carry them in the left pocket along with a Chapstick or maybe some mints. Nothing to cause major scratches. Everything else goes in the right pocket.
    Both coins have a sheen to them that seems to only happen with pocket worn pieces. No major damage or scratches . . . so far ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I have a one ounce bronze medallion issued by New York State "full service banks" for the bi-centennial in 1976. I've "lost" it 3-4 times but it always seems to show up again. It's "quite" worn! It cost $1.00. I have a silver one still in the package that was $6.00. There was also a (I believe) five ounce bronze and five ounce silver. Too rich for my blood at the time.l
  • RonBRonB Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've carried a few Peace Dollars for 20 odd years. 34-S, 35-S & 23-S.
    (To remember loved ones). They are heavy and bang around, you can always hear me coming.
    Amazed by how many folks have never seen one.

They were all bright white problem coins once, was interested how they would wear and tone.
    The problems have long since worn away and they all have that beautiful Walker style toning now
    with the Levi cotton pocket sheen Halfhunter mentioned above.

If I sent them in for grading today they would all come back cleaned/polished..
    If I put them in a cigar box today and left them they would all grade no problems in fifty years.

If you love your coins you should always sacrifice one for a pocket piece. (Within reason).
    The education is priceless.

-Ron

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I used to carry a 2000-D Sac dollar as my pocketpice. I carried it for about 4 years, until one day it mysteriously disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it. I looked all around the inside of my car, and retraced my normal lunch hour walking path with my eyes to the ground. It was worn down to a low XF/high VF grade.
    Matt
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a generic date/mm Peace dollar in my pocket. Every now and then, I'll give it to someone if they are newbies, interested in coins and seem "worthy". I've lost one once. Those that stay in the pocket for years do get worn down. If they get worn down enough I'll replace it with another AUish Peace dollar and go from there.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the current state of Artificial Circulation of this 1998 ASE. Been in my pocket everyday for 6 years along with a Peace buck and WLH.
    Never leave home without them.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pocket piece is in a fob attached to my keychain - it has come off a couple of times now when I have pulled my keys out of my pocket - it is an 1884 Morgan. I am fearful of losing it so I am not going to have it on my keychain anymore.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago I carried an SBA dollar until I accidentally spent it as a quarter.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morgansforever - That is U G L Y. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever coined the term "artificial circulation" ? image
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    This Walking Liberty half dollar has been on my key chain since the early 90's, so 20 years is not out of the question. When I put it on there is was about a VG-10 now worn down to say a a VG-8. I was sort of surprised it did not wear as much as I thought it would, those old silver halves are one tough cookies.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..... and that is another reason why today's ASEs will not be tomorrow's Morgans. .999 was never intended to circate. Interesting piece. Thanks for showing it.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was carrying a First Flight silver dollar, UNC, as a pocket peice for a while.. until I lost it. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never carried a pocket piece... just seemed like a waste. I spend my coins... the only ones retained are curios or those of value, and they go into safe keeping. Cheers, RickO
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don`t have a pocket piece but maybe I should carry this one around some. What could it hurt?
    imageimage
  • harveypbharveypb Posts: 514
    I have 3 pocket pieces that have holes and are on my key chain with house and car keys. 1 Morgan, 1 Peace & 1 Maria Theresa Taylor

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This Walking Liberty half dollar has been on my key chain since the early 90's, so 20 years is not out of the question. When I put it on there is was about a VG-10 now worn down to say a a VG-8. I was sort of surprised it did not wear as much as I thought it would, those old silver halves are one tough cookies.

image[/URL]

image[/URL] >>

Makes me want to have mrpaseo shoot a hole in one of my Walkers. image
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 3 pocket pieces that have holes and are on my key chain with house and car keys. 1 Morgan, 1 Peace & 1 Maria Theresa Taylor

image >>

Those are some really old keys!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine. Lost it for about 6 months and found it when vacuuming the car. Added a rim bumb earlier this year when I dropped it. Got it from my Dad. Hope to submit it when it's PO1 or so. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • opps
  • I have an 189x ruble (minted in Brussels under contract, and I know this because of the two stars on the edge), that I bought with part of the date barely visible for five dollars many years ago. You couldn't actually feel the date with your fingers, so it didn't take long for the date to completely disappear. I've dropped it many a time and showed it many a time; it often comes out of my pocket with other change and people say "is that a half dollar"? and I get to tell them it's a Russian ruble. It originally had 20 grams of 900 fine silver in it which made it equivalent to an 80 cent piece.

I've never lost it for more than a couple of days.

Of course now I will probably up and lose it permanently.
    ANA LM 6100
    Howland Wood winner 2005-2007
    Candidate for the ANA Board of Governors 2013-2015
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a damaged morgan dollar as a pocket piece. I've carried it now for about 6 yrs. Never go anywhere without it.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What else do you guys have in the pocket with the coin? I imagine other pocket change is common. But what about house/car keys? I can see those causing scratches, but then over time perhaps it helps with the wear and all works out in the end? >>

I carry a thumb drive of my work files in my pocket with my morgan. Nothing else, unless I throw a dollar bill in my pocket once in a while.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After carrying a copper Bashlow Restrike CSA cent for about six months I accidentally spent it.
    Just picked this up and cracked it out of an NGC PR69 holder. It's silver, so it's Coinstar unfriendly, which should help me not accidentally spend it. For the same price I could have gotten a circulated seated quarter but I like trying to wear down something from near-perfect, especially something that wasn't meant to circulate.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just picked this up and cracked it out of an NGC PR69 holder. It's silver, so it's Coinstar unfriendly, which should help me not accidentally spend it. For the same price I could have gotten a circulated seated quarter but I like trying to wear down something from near-perfect, especially something that wasn't meant to circulate.

image >>

Yep . . . I've been wearing this down for a while:

Along with the '21 Morgan.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I bought a grab bag of darkside stuff about two years ago. In it was someones PP, a crown sized piece of bronze worn so smooth that no writing was visible, only the outline of a head facing right on the obverse and the outline of a globe (?) on the reverse. I took it into the old New England Coin Show in Boston where I met John K (I could never remember Polish(?) names). I thought I could stump him, but he didn't miss a beat, "It's an 1822 Portuguese 40 reis, and very well worn indeed." I've had it in my pocked since and I'm sure that I'll never wear off the head and globe. John's a member here and used to be a cataloguer for the old ANR and Stack's auction houses.
    Paul
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I've carried a 1794/5 lg cent for about the last 7-8 years. It was dateless AG, purchased off eBay for about $15. I carry it daily, but also as a good luck piece when I am racing. About 5 years ago I was t the track and my wife walked up to me and said, " I think this is yours". It was my lg cent, she had found it on the ground walking back to our trailer. the facility is about 100 acres, her finding it was nothing short of a miracle. Ever since then I use a piece of blue painters tape to secure it in the pocket of my driving suit-LOL!
    I also started carrying a wore out 1800 lg. cent, just for fun. I carry a fairly large key chain in the same pocket and it is interesting to watch the wear over the years.
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I have an Alabama commemorative half on my key chain. Its been dropped hundreds of times and also shows a lot of wear from the keys and handling. Its pretty crusty.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone who carries a Pocket Piece ever damaged their coin by dropping it one way or another? Worse yet, has anyone ever lost their pocket piece? image

If so, lets hear the story. >>

I spend a 64D Type C Washington once.

It had some damage that I figured would wear off.

Stupid me! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Great choice, half hunter! The last of the silver commem halves and a great design to boot. The reverse looks really cool circulated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file