Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Revolution Bicentennial Medals - Gold Plated Arkansas Medal??

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought a box lot of coins and medals several months ago and I'm still going through everything trying to sort it all out image Fun stuff and I've learned a ton about stuff about stuff that I never even seen before.

In the box lot were several American Revolution Bicentennial Medals in "Antique Bronze" and many of them were still sealed in the original black cardboard packaging. There were also a couple of raw examples of these medals in the box as well with the "Antique Bronze" finish. Some of these medals are really neat and my favorites that I found were the North Carolina medal, the Minnesota medal and the New York medal.

In researching these medals, I haven't found much information on them at all, but from what I have found it seems that many were made with the "Antique Bronze" finish and a much smaller number of them in ".999 Fine Silver." All of the medals I have and all of them I've seen online appear to be 1.5" in diameter.

In the box lot I also found the following two Arkansas medals, one on each side of an unmarked plastic flip:

Obverse

Reverse

Edge Pic:

I am guessing that I have two examples of the .999 Fine Silver Arkansas medal, and that one of those silver medals has been gold plated. Both medals weigh the same, just under one ounce (0.9 oz.) and each have a reeded edge with the number 79 stamped on the edge. I don't have any other .999 Fine Silver examples to compare with so I don't know whether all of the .999 Silver medals are stamped on the edge. Anyone have any to compare with? Also, I haven't seen any gold plated examples of any of the medals anywhere. Anyone have any information on these?

I'm guessing it's possible these were part of some special set and both are #79 of how ever many sets were made, or maybe all silver Arkansas medals are stamped with 79 on the edge? Like I said, I have been able to find very little information on these American Revolution Bicentennial Medals. Any help would be appreciated.

And just for illustration purposes, here's a picture of the two medals alongside the North Carolina medal which has the "Antique Bronze" finish:

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't have much to offer in the way of contribution to your specific inquiries BUT:

want to say congratz you got some neat stuff and have a blast with it as i know those feelings quite well

getting a box/bag of goodies, especially with stuff previously unknown to us it quite an experience

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat medals... I know nothing about them, but they are quite attractive.... Cheers, RickO
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Nice medals. Do they ring like silver?

Since they don't appear to be marked, a specific gravity test is a relatively easy (and non-destructive) way to confirm that they are indeed silver.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "
    Official State Bicentennial Medals
    Arkansas
    2 1/2" fine silver $80, 1 1/2" fine silver $25, 2 1/2" antique bronze $12.50, 1 1/2" antique bronze, matched set of 2 1/2" bronze, 1 1/2" silver and 1 1/2" gold filled $65, and 1" 18-K. gold limited to 500 serially numbered $250. Struck by Medallic Ar Co. Arkansas Bicentennial Medal Program, P. O. Box 7285, Little Rock, Ark. 72207
    "

From the 1977 Coin World Almanac, p. 15.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice medals. Do they ring like silver?

Since they don't appear to be marked, a specific gravity test is a relatively easy (and non-destructive) way to confirm that they are indeed silver.
    >>

The two Arkansas medals do have a ring that sounds like silver to me and the ring definitely sounds different than the medals I know are the antique bronze finish.

I'd need a more accurate scale to try the specific gravity test, but I'll keep that in mind thanks!

<< <i>"
    Official State Bicentennial Medals
    Arkansas
    2 1/2" fine silver $80, 1 1/2" fine silver $25, 2 1/2" antique bronze $12.50, 1 1/2" antique bronze, matched set of 2 1/2" bronze, 1 1/2" silver and 1 1/2" gold filled $65, and 1" 18-K. gold limited to 500 serially numbered $250. Struck by Medallic Ar Co. Arkansas Bicentennial Medal Program, P. O. Box 7285, Little Rock, Ark. 72207
    "

From the 1977 Coin World Almanac, p. 15. >>

Thank you very much for the information. Very cool!!!

So it seems these two were likely part of a 3 piece set and I'm missing the 2 1/2" bronze medal, or maybe it is a 4 piece set and I'm missing the matching 2 1/2" bronze and the 1" gold medals. Either way, thanks for the info which is very helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file