Home U.S. Coin Forum

1922 Matte Finish Peace Dollar - High Relief, Est 5-8 Known

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
Peace Dollars are not my thing right now but I sure do like them. If I ever move into the collecting of DOLLARS...it would be Gobrecht Dollars if I ever get rich, Trade Dollars just to own a couple of examples unless I did a circulated set, an EARLY dollar or two if I can ever find the funds....but for a Mint State Set...I will be building a Peace Dollar set within a couple years. They are beautiful. It is just a matter of time. I have to finish my Merc Dimes first, then there are a few other coins I NEED to add to my collection but while that is going on I will likely start a MS Peace Dollar set. Hopefully I am making a lot more money by then. image

Ok, so what's the story with 1922 Matte Finish Peace Dollar in High Relief? 5-8 is a pretty broad range for such a low number. Who has them, where are they, what's the story with them? I flipped through the Cherrypickers' Guide and saw it mentioned, I saw it mentioned in the PCGS price Guide. Why were they produced, under what circumstances, etc. RWB has me very interested in Peace Dollars and I plan to go buy his book this week...not sure if this coin is covered in his book or not. Gotta go get the book no matter what. Anyone have photos of one they can post? Anyone on the forums actually own one?

Thanks!
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I have not seen it personally I know of someone who does indeed own an authentic one. sorry, cant say no more.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refer to RWB's book, then to the part in your original post about the circumstances under which you'd collect Gobrecht dollars.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Refer to RWB's book, then to the part in your original post about the circumstances under which you'd collect Gobrecht dollars. >>

I will pick up RWB's book late this week when I can get to a book store. As far as the dreamy Gobrecht dollars go...if I ever get rich, I would like to own one or two of them is all. Nothing fancy, just nice clean examples because I think they are cool.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>From what I have search results for it was made in Matte Proof Finish only.

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/PCGS_7383_-_1922_$1_Matte_Finish_-_Hi_Relief

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=402&Lot_No=1240&type=prte-pr041006a >>

Excellent reading material. Thanks!
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    >>If I ever move into the collecting of DOLLARS...it would be Gobrecht Dollars if I ever get rich, Trade Dollars just to own a couple of examples unless I did a circulated set, an EARLY dollar or two.....>>

here's a way to knock a couple of 'type' coins out of the way with one coin (Gobrecht & Seated specifically)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Ambro, we know they exist and cool for your friend, but I don't think it is a borderline illegal/legal issue or a clandestine minting, what is the secret? I have seen one, a circulated on and you could tell it was a High Relief proof, nneat coin, but as far as mintage or history, no help here.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ambro, we know they exist and cool for your friend, but I don't think it is a borderline illegal/legal issue or a clandestine minting, what is the secret? >>

Ambro's friend probably just wants to remain anonymous. If find a lot of high end collectors that feel the same way.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>>>If I ever move into the collecting of DOLLARS...it would be Gobrecht Dollars if I ever get rich, Trade Dollars just to own a couple of examples unless I did a circulated set, an EARLY dollar or two.....>>

here's a way to knock a couple of 'type' coins out of the way with one coin (Gobrecht & Seated specifically)

image >>

That's Cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file