Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opening a pcgs case

Does anybody know how to open a pcgs holder.....without a hammer???

Just opened them..... Jeeezzzz those suckers are like steel!!!! I have a new faith in the quality of the holders

Comments

• yep. boltcuttersimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hacksaw, left to right, right accross the label. Then easily pry open.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Bolt cutters, Vice Grip, Tin Snips, Band Saw...
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Use somethin like these rah cheer with the longer the handle the better. Just nip the edge of the slab about half way up.

• What do they call those snips.....not tin snips....they cut cross-ways....like to cut the barely exposed head of a nail. 2, maybe three snips along the edges and the holder pops open.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hacksaw, left to right, right accross the label. Then easily pry open. >>

So much for returning the label to PCGS to keep the pop reports coreect.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>What do they call those snips.....not tin snips....they cut cross-ways....like to cut the barely exposed head of a nail. 2, maybe three snips along the edges and the holder pops open. >>

The ones I posted are called end cutting pliers..
  • Bushmaster uses a vice !
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425

<< <i>

<< <i>What do they call those snips.....not tin snips....they cut cross-ways....like to cut the barely exposed head of a nail. 2, maybe three snips along the edges and the holder pops open. >>

The ones I posted are called end cutting pliers.. >>

And the one you posted is the one I had in mind.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

The ones I posted are called end cutting pliers.. >>

And the one you posted is the one I had in mind.image >>

All great minds think alike eh Bryan?image
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Table mounted vise...
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youtube demonstration.

Disclaimer: I didn't have the volume on so I have no idea what this guy is saying.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Table mounted vise... >>

Agree. Wrap it in a towel first in case there are flying shards of plastic and then squeeze slowlt while listening for a pop. Turn the slab 90 degrees and repeat.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dremel tool with a very fine SS grind head, along the seam, works perfectly, with no damages. Cheers, RickO

• I use a pair of Tile Nippers, they are made for tile but they work very well on plastic....... image

I also wear a pair of saftey glasses and leather gloves, the plastic likes to shoot everywhere and is sometimes sharp after broken.

<< <i>Bushmaster uses a vice ! >>

A vice is fine for small ANACS and NGC slabs, but I have never tried one for PCGS slabs. Not sure it would work that well for PCGS since it is a different type of plastic and IMO more likely to explode into flying shards under pressure. The key to using a vice is to crack the seals/seams just enough so that you can pick the slab apart. I saw a gent in Milwaukee [used to post here as Texasbulliontraders] open about 10 PCGS slabs in less than a minute with those end cutter pliers.

• << <i>

<< <i>Table mounted vise... >>

Agree. Wrap it in a towel first in case there are flying shards of plastic and then squeeze slowly while listening for a pop. Turn the slab 90 degrees and repeat. >>

Works every time - never had a problem. Good idea about the towel, I also wear safety glasses when I do it as those little shards can fly!

And I do send my labels back to PCGS when I accumulate a bunch.
    "I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." - Franklin Pierce Adams

Positive BST Transactions: kalshacon
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>hacksaw, left to right, right accross the label. Then easily pry open. >>

So much for returning the label to PCGS to keep the pop reports coreect. >>

send it in two pieces

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• << <i>What do they call those snips.....not tin snips....they cut cross-ways....like to cut the barely exposed head of a nail. 2, maybe three snips along the edges and the holder pops open. >>

My dad uses those to cut the gate off of homemade sinkers.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Remember this. Many people will suggest methods that create flying pieces of plastic. Those that do may or may not really try those methods but just repeat something they heard. You should be carefull opening those slabs with any proceedure that makes for a flying object. Those that recommend doing those methods will not pay for your medical bills, visit you in the hospital, help vacuum up the pieces, nor even send you flowers while having your eyes operated on to remove that stuff.
    To open then simply use a saber saw or Dremel with a variable speed control. To fast and the plastic remelts back together, To slow and pieces fly. A medium toothed blade shoud do the job with no problems. Just remove the edges on at least two sides or more. Pry open with a screwdriver but still watch yourself. Use eye protectors at all times.
    When dealing with suggestions on the internet, you may well be listening to someone that actually wants you to get hurt.
    Carl
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

My dad uses those to cut the gate off of homemade sinkers. >>

Like this TigerGirl?
    These are what I use.
    front and back views.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file