Home Autographs Forum
Options

help with opinion on paying for/returning possible fake reggie white signed jersey

hello,

i am not a big time collector, so i apologize if i am posting this question in the wrong place. I am a football fan and "collect" items from the eagles to hang in my living room. I have always wanted a signed reggie white jersey, but never could find one i could afford.

last week i found one for $500 with no COA but a 30 day return policy. i bought it, brought it to a card show on sunday and had it authenticated by PSA and it came back fake. They gave 9 different reasons they did not feel it was authentic. it looks very close to all my other items i have of him, but assume now this must be fake. i can send it back and recoup the $500 i spent on the jersey, and would just be out the $140 or so i spent to overnight it, travel to and get it checked.

the truth is, i have other items i bought for a ridiculously low price, and i can not whole heartidly say i beleive it is 100% authentic. i can not afford many things, and sometimes am just happy to have it and look at it myself. if this jersey cost me $100 or $200. it would be on my wall right now and never had even tried to have it authenticated.

when i reached out to the seller he offered for me to send it back for a refund. He has told me he doesn't trust or believe psa/jsa and has personally had things signed himself which were deemed fake. i do see this other places when i look online, but do very much see some of the reasons they said they wont certify it.

i told the seller i would consider keeping the item just not at the $500 price i paid for it and felt the cost of the jersey alone (unsigned) would be fair (100 through ebay to 250 straight from nhl/mitchell and ness). his offer was giving me back $200 (costing me $300).

Am i being completely retarded here to even consider paying for this? is even 150-250 to much to pay. i dont know who to ask about this, and I am just thinking on how long i have looked for and tried to find a jersey of his for something i could afford. I even just missed a previously ebayed jersey that was psa/dna for $500 and why i bought this one (i said if i ever got the chance again i wouldnt think twice and risk loosing it).

I know buying it knowing most likely it is not genuine is kind of stupid. I just will never be able to afford a 1000-1500 jersey and feel it will be a super long time before i can or find another in my budget. i was thinking if i only paid the cost of the jersey itself, than when i do find one i can afford or can afford something higher i can replace it and just wear the jersey or something like that. i didnt know if anyone else felt me saying i will give 100-150 for something he originally asked 500 would be "disrespectful"? or ridiculous on his end. If someone in this forum sold things, and this situation arrose, what do they think they would allow the person to keep it for?

Matty B.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Return it.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    return it
    and get some Dallas Cowboy Jerseys
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge packers autograph collector and have a few reggie white autos in my collection and I don't like the look of the autograph. Sorry. The W in white looks off as well as the GG in reggie.
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a collection centerpiece like a signed white jersey, if you saved for three years, you could afford it. Think of how rewarding it would feel after saving for that long to hang an authentic jersey on your wall

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    what good is a return policy if the seller won't let you return it...

If this was through eBay & you used PayPal you will get your money back

good luck!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will never be happy having it hang in your living room, return it.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 11:04PM

I agree with the others... return it. Now that you know, you'll think about the fact that it's not real all the time. I'd rather put aside a $10 every week and have a real jersey in three years. You can seed your pot with the money you'll get from the return; now you're down to two years and change.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Quick opinion may help in the future. Saved my rear end a few times.

• Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭

I would trust PSA or JSA 99% of the time. I won't buy anything that isn't authenticated by them. I'll take my chances.