Home Autographs Forum

thenavarro's US Presidential Collection (working on the run)

Ever since I started selling my signed rookie cards, I've begun to focus on making another run at the US Presidents as a collecting focus. I've done the run before, but sold the entire run in 2005. Now, I'm going to build it again I think.

This is the piece that got me itching to do it again, was browsing around the web one day, and found this awesome Lincoln check. Picked it up unslabbed, and have subsequently had it slabbed by BGS/JSA.

Abraham Lincoln

Next up, was a piece I purchased from fellow CU member canjond This is a JSA authenticated, John F. Kennedy autographed Profiles in Courage book. JFK signed Profiles are relatively popular with both signed book collectors and Presidential collectors so it has great crossover appeal.

Here's a two for one. A beautiful document signed by both Thomas Jefferson AND James Madison.

I already had the JFK book above, but canjond had another JFK sig he was selling, and I decided to buy it and have another board member, Knuckles, dress it up into the JFK custom cut card. It is also, now PSA/DNA authenticated. A little light, but hey, it's JFK image

Next up, is a check signed by Civil War General and President, Ulysses S. Grant Check was signed as President

The body of the check is in a different hand, with the check itself being signed by Grant

Here's one that I made for my collection. When I say made, what I mean is I take authentically signed book pages (and other things such as napkins, index cards, etc,, basically anything with room to work with) and I make typescripts out of the authentically signed book pages by printing around the authentic sig. I'm responsible for roughly 90% of the signed typescripts you might have seen on the market in the past 13 or so years. Nixon resignations, Ford Pardons, Clinton Lewinsky quotes, Bush quotes, Nixon quotes, JFK ask not's, Reagan Tear down this wall, etc. etc, etc, etc. It's a niche market as some people hate them, and some people love them. Bottom line is they commemorate historic events and have authentic autographs. I've got several signed Bush books lying around, so thought this was cool.

Bush's speech to the nation from September 11, 2001.

LBJ autographs appear to be fairly common, however, most of the purported LBJ autographs are actually secretarial. Many of the skilled secretarials are purported to be from one of his aids named Bruce Thomas if I remember correctly. The Vantage Point signed bookplates are one of the items that are considered to be unquestionably authentic LBJ signatures, so I got this one.

Back in November or December, there was a thread on CU Forum from user BigJed, who made a really neat signed GW Bush card out of a bookplate and a Topps Derek Jeter card. I thought it looked pretty cool so I decided to make something as well out of my GW Bush signed bookplate.

Here's the authentically signed book plate:

and here's the final result. This is a photo of Bush throwing out the first pitch of a World Series game on October 23, 2011. My wife and I got to be two of the flag holders in centerfield for the ceremony. I am the guy pictured on the left holding up the camera (the fat guy in the red, LOL). I had my local photo lab print a photo for me with thick white borders on glossy photo stock, and then I cut out the signature from the book plate (which is a sticker) with a razor blade and then "stickered" the authentic GW sig onto the photo. When you look at it with the naked eye from a few feet away, you can't even tell it's a stuck on sig. The scan magnifies the fact, but in person it looks pretty cool.

My home made Bush first pitch photo image (Thanks BigJed for the inspiration)

My camera was not as good as their's, but here's a pic from my view, awesome experience for a lifelong Rangers fan, on my birthday to boot

Fantastic check signed by James A. Garfield (not signed as President) Here's the auction description:

House of Representatives check, 8.25 x 3.25, filled out in another hand and signed by Garfield, “J. A. Garfield,” payable to F & G Rives for $224.82, July 2, 1877. Garfield has also handwritten, “Mentor O.,” and also added the date. Two vertical folds, one through a single letter of signature, a small cancellation cut to center, and a bank stamp to upper portion, otherwise fine condition.

Next up is my oldest and best autograph. I was pretty excited to pick this one up. Beautiful shape for a Washington.

Signature “G:º Washington” on the lower portion cut from an ornately bordered Mountain Road Lottery ticket with the printed date “1768”, 3.75” x 0.75”. On laid paper. Lightly foxed. Fine condition.

The Mountain Road Lottery was a fund raising project conceived in 1767 by George Washington and others to finance the building of a road through the Allegheny Mountains in Virginia, and construct a resort in the Hot Springs and Warms Springs of Augusta County, which were reputed to have healing properties. Washington acted as manager of the lottery. 85% of the proceeds would be paid out in prizes; the remaining 15% would be kept for the Mountain Road project. Each lottery ticket cost £1. As there were other lotteries being run at the time, Washington’s lottery was not a success. In 1769, King George III banned all lotteries in the American colonies. The Mountain Road was built in 1772, however, when the Virginia legislature voted a sum of £300 pounds for the purpose of “clearing a safe and good road from the Warm Springs in Augusta County to Jennings Gap.”

Fantastic image of a 30 year old LBJ during his first term as a US Representative for the Great State of Texas. Signed photos of LBJ this early in his career, are basically non-existent. This is a pretty special piece. Beautiful early signature as well. I paid more for this then a typical signed LBJ photo sells for, but due to the uniqueness of the piece, I thought it was worth it. One thing I've FINALLY learned over the years, is not to always get the cheapest example, as often a more expensive example provides better overall value. I have already cracked it out of the frame you see pictured, as I wanted to preserve it better.

It's hard to get really neat stuff for modern Presidents, as they are really TOO common. But for Carter, I decided to get this baseball as signed Presidential baseballs are pretty coveted. No, Carter didn't forget how to spell his name, that's just the way he signs sometimes image

President Dwight Eisenhower authentic single signed mini baseball. The markings on the baseball are not distinct enough for me to tell exactly which ball it is, but I think it might be one of the William Harridge mini American League ones. I'm sending it out next week to one of my friends that has a cool machine that will be able to see those markings I think. The last two full size Eisenhower baseballs I've seen sell, sold for between $8,000-$9,000 on one, and $9,000-$10,000 on the other one. Have no idea what kind of value to place on the "mini".

I had 3 Nixon signed books lying around so decided to make these Nixon Resignations out of the signed book pages tonight. Turned out real nice.

Landed a really scarce piece this past week. JFK is not a terribly tough autograph to get, but on certain mediums, he's not the easiest. This is an authentically signed extradition warrant, with related papers, to bring a fugitive back to the United States. This one was done in April 1963, as President, in the last 8 months of his life, and contains a tough version of his signature, John F. Kennedy. Already PSA/DNA authenticated as well. Every now and then for Kennedy as President, you can find typed letters signed, appointments signed, memos signed, a photo signed, a book signed, but I've never seen another one of these warrants signed by him. (doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I've looked at his stuff for years, and personally have not encountered one)

Because of me adding this piece, the two JFK items above, the JSA authenticated Profiles in Courage book, and they PSA/DNA authenticated JFK signed custom cut trading card are now available if someone wishes to make them theirs. image I don't need 3 JFK's.

That's it for now. I'll add some of the signed rookie cards of the more modern Presidents that I have into the thread over the course of the week.

I'm going to start posting in the "autograph" forum and let's see if others will post topics too, maybe we can build this autograph forum up some.

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• "I'm going to start posting in the "autograph" forum and let's see if others will post topics too, maybe we can build this autograph forum up some."

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Some really nice vintage material there. Sports and Presidential/politics - both way out of my areas, so nice to see. I will try to make some scans and get some pics up of a new collection I am working on that includes some autographed material. image

Eric
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"I'm going to start posting in the "autograph" forum and let's see if others will post topics too, maybe we can build this autograph forum up some."

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Some really nice vintage material there. Sports and Presidential/politics - both way out of my areas, so nice to see. I will try to make some scans and get some pics up of a new collection I am working on that includes some autographed material. image

Eric >>

Eric

I'm Mike, not Dave. Dave is some musician that had enough of Carmen Electra. I'm not very musically inclined

Mike

• << <i>

<< <i>"I'm going to start posting in the "autograph" forum and let's see if others will post topics too, maybe we can build this autograph forum up some."

Hi Dave,

Eric >>

Eric

I'm Mike, not Dave. Dave is some musician that had enough of Carmen Electra. I'm not very musically inclined

Mike >>

Dear Mike,

Oh geez, I'm sorry. I don't know why I had the name "Dave" logged with "the navarro" image
    Some mental filing error. I had to Google Electra and Dave N...just my little grey cells going! Still, awesome stuff you've presented here. Nice counterpoint to that "Ruth" - but I am happy to see any posts here! image Especially one as textured as yours.

Best wishes,
    Eric
    Here are the modern Presidents on signed trading cards that I have:

• Hi Mike,

Great stuff! Nice Ford cards image The Clinton card makes me feel old LOL thats now 21 years! Unreal.
    I will be making a post quite soon to this Forum showing off the new collection. I am just dipping in here while working on the other collection actually, and I need to get one item photographed.
    Thanks for the posting. Quite the flurry here recently. Hope to see more image

Best wishes,
    Eric
    Here's one I just picked up from a fellow board member. Nice authentically signed Ronald Reagan bookplate , with a calligraphic inscription in another hand, inside an edition of his "An American Life".

By the way, does anyone know how to tell if this is a first edition? I put an image of the copyright page to see if anyone knows.

• Hi Mike,

Nice as usual. Heading to bed here (6:30 am image ) but thats from the 2nd print run. The string of numbers on the copyright page - last number on right - indicates 2nd.

Best wishes,
    Eric

<< <i>Hi Mike,

Nice as usual. Heading to bed here (6:30 am image ) but thats from the 2nd print run. The string of numbers on the copyright page - last number on right - indicates 2nd.

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

Eric

Thanks for the help

Mike

<< <i>Hi Mike,

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

Eric,

I found an online guide on how to identify what edition books are that are published by Simon & Schuster. According to this guide, it's a first edition.

"Mid-1973-1980: Simon & Schuster used a string of numbers on the copyright page to indicate edition number. The first number on the left is the edition number. Occasional exceptions are made, in which the words "First Printing" are spelled out on the copyright page. The date may also be included in these cases. In the 1976 statement, the publisher clarified the use of the word "edition," which they used in two ways: 1) to distinguish the binding style, such as when the book is available in both paperback and casebound editions; and 2) to indicate the version of the text. "Edition" therefore does not mean "impression" or "printing." The first number on the copyright page could be a "1," but the title or copyright page shows that the book is a revised or subsequent edition.

1981-present: The same conventions as above were used, with one important exception. Rather than printing the numbers on the copyright page in sequence, they sometimes appeared as "1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2." The lowest number shown indicates the edition number."

Since it was printed in the early 90's, I think the 1981-present applies, which would make it a first.

Mike
  • daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Mike, your collection is huge!
  • Hi Mike,

so it is a first edition of the second print run?

Eric
  • Love this thread Mike
    Awesome stuff. I am a bit of a presidential history buff and you've got me thinking of a whole new collecting focus. Love the Lincoln and Nixon autos. Everything is awesome! And you have a great birthday, shared with Johnny Carson, Pele, Pinky Brewster (moonlight shamrock or something) and me!

<< <i>Love this thread Mike
    Awesome stuff. I am a bit of a presidential history buff and you've got me thinking of a whole new collecting focus. Love the Lincoln and Nixon autos. Everything is awesome! And you have a great birthday, shared with Johnny Carson, Pele, Pinky Brewster (moonlight shamrock or something) and me! >>

Thanks. That's cool, I never knew I had the same birthday as Carson.
    It's been awhile since I was able to make a new addition, but I just purchased a really badly damaged authentic JFK signed letter from his House years, and decided to turn a lemon into lemonade. I had this JFK "card" that I had precut for an earlier project and the opening fit relatively well with the damaged letter, so I decided to make this "custom cut". (no I didn't cut any of the signature off, it extends a little below the mat opening, and no, I didn't put that cut that extends from the top of the sig, that was already there in the letter)

Turned out reasonably well considering what I had to work with (the letter was in HORRIBLE shape) This will present very well once I get it slabbed up.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Great collection so far! I have been working on the run on and off for a few years, but haven't gotten into it too seriously. Though I do have a Washington and Lincoln.
    Nice Kennedy sigs! It is hard to find examples that are somewhat legible.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    Added this one to my Presidential collection today. A signed check from the 6th President of the United States, John Quincy Adams.

Also added a signed check of the 23rd President, Benjamin Harrison.

Its been a good week for my Presidential collecrion. Picked up an outstanding oversized, satin finish Nixon signed photo image
  • Hi Mike,

That Kennedy letter - lemonade indeed! Great[]i] look, work and "save" image
    And the Nixon - must have been tricky to find. If you keep this pace up you'll run out of Presidents! It's nice to see your choices as well, the various forms available - a pleasure for the collector - and wonderful for those starting out. You have such a high bar!!!
    I have met all kinds of people from Schlesinger to Ono and much in between like Hepburn, Asimov and Walken in relaxed settings like parties - even some moon guys Sy knows of (Aldrin, Shephard). But I have never even seen a President from a distance. Have you met any?? What is that like? I can't imagine. I suppose I would like to have met Nixon.

Re the Reagan - I said it backwards I see. I meant to say "is it a second printing of the first edition?"

Best wishes and thanks for the wonderful posts! This is the best thread we have ever had here! Someone give this man the drink of his choice!

Eric

PS - I will soon be able to post the Hiroshima collection under construction. I want to do it in one complete shot. Some of the color Hiroshima slides have just arrived and are incredible. And, the last example I need of the man Kikkawa san's autograph is now here - a signed printed photo of him signing a slogan near "The Atomic Sufferers Shop" - I just need to get some final pics and edit and round this all up with a story. I plan a website in the furyre about this man - this will be a preview, complete with new photographs taken for me at the last Peace ceremony Aug 6, 2013. I will be selling off a small amount of duplicate material generated during the gathering of this collection if anyone is interested.
    Thanks Eric,

Here's one I picked up this week. Carter is so common that it's hard to find good pieces for him, however I thought this one fit the bill pretty good. Thought it had a great association considering the Camp David Accords.

TLS signed “Jimmy,” one page, 6.75 x 8.75, White House letterhead, May 20, 1977. Letter to Lawrence Spivak, cofounder of Meet the Press. In full: “Thanks for sharing your comments about Menahem [sic] Begin. Your insight, as usual, is valuable.” In very fine condition. Accompanied by a copy of Spivak’s initial letter, in part: “If Menahem [sic] Begin becomes Prime Minister of Israel, I think he may offer more of an opportunity for peace than a peril to it…He has softened considerably since his days in the Irgun. Not only that, but his heart attack and his age can, I believe, make him think more about a place in history as a peacemaker than as a hawk. If he should recognize the importance of compromise, it will be easier for him to sell the Israelis than it would be for a Prime Minister who is more dovish.”

It's been awhile since I've had a new addition to my Presidential Collection. I got defeated at the monthly auction that I like to frequent to pick these things up at in both November and December, but I just snagged this one on ebay a short while ago.

Nice Jimmy Carter signed check.

• Hi Dave,

Nice check! No badly placed stamps or punch holes etc. Clean image
    Wonder what you will come up with for WWH of 1841? That's gotta be tough?

Happy New Year!

Eric
    I'm still moving along, albeit a bit slowly, school/work is keeping me BUSY.

This is a letter from Dwight Eisenhower signed as President-elect. Neat variation of his sig "Ike Eisenhower"

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    whoops double post
    Bishop,

Just an FYI as you might already know, but that's an autopen JFK,

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

>>

• epruyneepruyne Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Wow, impressive collection, and this is your second time around. This is one of my long-term goals as well. Where do typically look for items?

<< <i>Wow, impressive collection, and this is your second time around. This is one of my long-term goals as well. Where do typically look for items? >>

Thanks. I look in a variety of places. Ebay, catalog auctions, online auctions, email solicitation from past clients etc. Ebay is usually your cheapest option, BUT, you need to know your stuff before you start buying on ebay as a ton of stuff I see posted there as Presidential autographs, is actually fake being either outright forgeries, non-malicious secretarials, autopens, preprints, etc. If you learn how to pick out the good stuff from the bad stuff, you will do yourself a GREAT service and it makes it much more enjoyable to use ebay.

Some dealers I frequent are Bob Eaton of RRauction.com, John Reznikoff of University Archives, Nate Sanders of Nate Sanders autographs, Barb Pengelly of autographdomain, and a few trusted others. If you do research on dealers, you will find both good and bad about almost any dealer, but the ones above are ones I've trusted with both my money and my inventory before, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them. Some of them take a beating due to their business relationship as consultants for PSA/DNA and JSA, and an occasional big blunder along the way, but those listed above really are good people that know what they are doing when they take the time to do business correctly, which in my experience is a large majority of the time. In other words, I trust them AND endorse them.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bishop,

Mike

Yes, I do know that Mike, but when I received it in the mail just before Christmas in 1960 as a 10 year old, that hardly mattered image

I grew up in St Louis but have lived in San Antonio since 1995. I have two sons who currently live together up in Dallas. During Thanksgiving this year we spent several hours in the Book Depository museum on Dealey Plaza. It was fun to see them taking in what for them was ancient history while I relived part of my past

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

<< <i>

<< <i>Bishop,

Mike

Yes, I do know that Mike, but when I received it in the mail just before Christmas in 1960 as a 10 year old, that hardly mattered image

image >>

WOW! That's pretty sweet. VERY cool with the personal connection. Neat piece

Mike
  • Killer stuff!
  • Very nice image

Eric
    Picked this one up tonight. Ronald Reagan wrote this to instruct his staff how to respond to general congratulation letters, kind words, etc. that he would receive. His staff would type up the reply and generally affix a Reagan autopen to the letters. Here's the original, all in his hand. Shows the attention to detail that Reagan had for this type of stuff, as well as an apparent willingness to micromanage the little things.

It's been a while since I updated my thread, but I'm still working on the run albeit slowly (I bought a really nice piece in another field that I've got on layaway so I've had to divert my $$ away from my Presidential collection while I work on paying that off) but I occasionally still pickup an addition.

Here's a couple I've added recently.

I needed another Nixon about as much as I'd need a hole in my head, as his graphs are pretty common, but Nixon authentically signed appointments are hard to find and typically sell for around $1,000, but I was able to get into this one a bit cheaper so I bought it.

and this one I'm pretty stoked about. A beautiful William Henry Harrison autographed document from the War of 1812.

Here's my October pickup for my Presidential Collection. Although not signed as President, I thought it was neat so I picked it up last night online while I was sitting in Civil Procedure class trying not to annoy my professor by surfing on my phone bidding in auctions. (Hard to do when you sit on the front row image )

Governor Clinton sets the execution date for a convicted inmate (the execution was not carried out) I haven't researched on Westlaw or Lexis to find out why, have too much other stuff to do.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The thing I love most about this fantastic collection - and I do mean fantastic! - is that you have incorporated such a wide variety of items. Documents, letters, and checks are expected. But baseballs, trading cards, photographs ... I'm really impressed with your creativity. I wish I could be as flexible with my coin collection. I often have a hard time thinking outside the box to acquire new pieces.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Thanks LochNess. That's part of the fun for me, is finding "different" kinds of pieces. Don't get me wrong, would love to have a complete run of "checks" of all the Presidents, but I also enjoy the diversity of different items.

Mike
    So ... you probably get this a lot, but ... which signature is your favorite?

Doesn't have to be your fave POTUS, just your fave sig.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>So ... you probably get this a lot, but ... which signature is your favorite?

Doesn't have to be your fave POTUS, just your fave sig. >>

Here's my favorite, but technically, I've still got it on layaway and am paying it off every month so I don't have it in my possession yet, but I should be done in about 4 months. When I get it paid for, it will be without question, the best piece in my collection. Over 522 years old, and from the highly desirable year of 1492.

The Catholic Monarchs, and two people very influential in the discovery of the Americas.

Document signed by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in the Summer of 1492 (yes, THAT King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella) as Columbus prepares to set sail for the Indies in nine days and the remaining Jews – all were expelled by edict – prepare to leave Spain within eight days

Manuscript Document Signed “Yo el Rey” [I the King] by King Ferdinand V of Spain and “Yo la Reyna” [I the Queen] by Queen Isabella I of Spain, 1p, 8.5” x 6”. In Spanish, not translated. Penafiel [Spain], July 25, 1492.

Countersigned “Fernando Alvarez,” the Queen’s confidential adviser and secretary. Docketing on verso. Remnants of prior mounting at lower edge on verso. Fine condition.

Closeup of King Ferdinand autograph
    Closeup of Queen Isabella autograph
    Back of document
    Wow. That is breathtaking. I am at a loss for words!

I'll bet you already have the display all planned out. That graphic you included is really cool as a backdrop. Wow man! That's some real history there. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some odd reason, I was just poking around the forum. I don't really have much of an interest in autographs but wow!!! this is an incredible collection!! I am thoroughly impressed and look forward to watching it grow further!

Do you happen to have any images of your original collection before selling it off?
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Awesome collection and dedication. Thanks for sharing.. Please keep it up.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    i once asked this forum how i could get started on a auto (presidential) collection...umm...never mind...image

..wouldnt even know where to begin and don't see an ending...wow!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome collection. The Washington is mind blowing.
    Thanks guys. I stay pretty busy so I don't check in here nearly as often as I should.

Got a pretty sweet pickup Thursday.

A 1938 document filled out and signed by Richard Milhous Nixon. Cost me about 10x what a run of the mill Nixon should cost but I consider it a relative bargain since it is a full name sig. VERY tough to get like this. I'm pretty stoked about this one. I've been doing this a LONG time and I don't recall seeing another full name Nixon. Have seen some Richard M. Nixon, but not the full sig. I also thought it was neat that it had a spot for "public office holder" LOL (if they had only known)

Added this one for my Presidential signed rookie card collection. Don't know if it is his first card, but it was issued during his term (signed later) and the only one I've seen of him playing ball.

I'm still trudging away. Here's my Trump signed hat. http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/thenavarro/_3-3-1_zpsosw05pja.jpg

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

The ike ball is amazing!

Here's some more I've added recently

Made this today out of a signed book page