Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looking for advice on getting a new scanner.

I have Windows 10 on all of my computers. I have read about some issues of some scanners working with Windows 10. I currently have a HP Printer/scanner that I am not to fond off and I want to replace. I mainly want the scanner to scan the cards in my collection and to scan some cards I may want to sell. Also we have been meaning to archive a bunch of family photos and maybe the negatives we have as well.

It seems like the more I read the more I am not sure which one to get. I was thinking of something in the Epson or Canon line but I am leaning a bot more towards the Epson ones. I would really like to stay under the $200 price point as well.

So what do you guys use or recommend? I have had one person recommend a Canon one to me but I have always heard how good some of the Epson ones can do on cards. Thanks

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I have an Epson Workforce 635 and it does the job for me. I had it for a few years and works great but I am not sure if they still make them or not.

Good Luck.

Robert

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up an Epson V550 a few weeks back. Took about 10 mins to tweak the settings and it is night and day better that the last printer / scanner combo I had. Also you can have presets for the different holders shape, glare, and size. Same for raw.

Kevin

Kevin

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epson V600 is worth every penny. Great speed and image quality.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

From what I'd read prior to my purchase the only difference between the 550 and 600 was the inclusion of PS Elements. I may be wrong as it wouldn't be the first time but if you don't need the software you can save a few bucks.

Kevin

Kevin

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    I ended up ordering an Epson V600 off of Amazon today. Hopefully I will have it sometime this week.
  • WillBBCWillBBC Posts: 56 ✭✭
    My wife gave me a Canon 9000F II for Christmas two years ago and I will never use an all-in-one again. The speed and quality are both incredible and it makes even the thickest slabs look like they're not even there.
  • muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    there's the right tool for every job.

so, depends on the job.

if ungraded (and you value your time) then there is absolutely nothing that can compete with the fujitsu 6100 or 6200 series.

if graded, then i echo the epson v series mentioned earlier.

• Those Epson scanners are the way to go. For modern stuff, not sure if it's been mentioned, those LEDs do create quite a rainbow effect. For older stuff though, those colors are so vivid!
  • MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I have been absolutely thrilled with my Epson V37, which, I might add, was acquired for $59 (refurbished by Epson) delivered.
    Go Dodgers!
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WillBBC

My wife gave me a Canon 9000F II for Christmas two years ago and I will never use an all-in-one again. The speed and quality are both incredible and it makes even the thickest slabs look like they're not even there.

This is the same scanner I use. Very pleased with it.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Dpeck,

Does this include PSA slabs and their flips?

TIA

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 4:44AM

@skrezyna23 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Dpeck,

Does this include PSA slabs and their flips?

TIA

I purchased the scanner to see if the scans were good enough for the SMR. Most scanner's do not have a DMAX rating high enough for them to use the images in the magazine. I sent them a few examples and the person in charge of the scanning and layout said the scans were as good as the $3,000 scanner they use. Their's is an older scanner so perhaps the price point has come down some but for $210 delivered from Amazon to be able to generate scans good enough for magazine print is awesome in my opinion. Here are a few scans.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Can some one recommend a scanner that scans refractors without the wavy appearance?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the response, Dpeck.

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I bought a Canon MG3520 a year or so ago. It is terrible for scanning graded cards because the image of the card is not directly on the glass. It's why I don't sell much on eBay anymore. Do all of the above named scanners eliminate this problem?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    I bought a Canon MG3520 a year or so ago. It is terrible for scanning graded cards because the image of the card is not directly on the glass. It's why I don't sell much on eBay anymore. Do all of the above named scanners eliminate this problem?

I recently bought a Canon 9000F just for graded cards. I am in the process of scanning my collection. So far I'm very happy with the scanner.

James