Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone know how much baseball cards appreciate?

To be more specific, a complete set of 1966 Topps baseball cards, 35% VG, 35% EX and 30% NM. All 41 HOF PSA graded.

Lets say that set is worth $3250 today, how much have the cards been appreciating? As an investment opportunity, would you say 5%, 7% or 10% a year.

Obviously pure speculation on what the future brings, but how much have that era cards been going up over the past few years.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Ask VintageManEd
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Lol
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    It is an impossible question to answer with any certainty. While third party-grade singles are trackable, sets like you describe are not.

If I were to make an educated guess, the set you describe is worth significantly less than it was 25 years ago, but more than it was 7 years ago.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    By chance I found a 1983 Baseball Card Price Guide published by The House of Collectibles. The value for the above set in 1983 in Mint condition was $450.00

Is it safe to say that most of the members of this forum are collecting as a hobby rather than an investment ?

Thanks !
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I would guess most collect as a hobby, but enjoy the monetary aspect as well.
    Unless a person only collects very inexpensive items, or has a lot of disposable income, the investment aspect of the hobby cannot be minimized.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I looked at completed eBay listings for Topps 1966 sets and there were no sales of mixed condition sets like you describe listed above $3000. There was one high end set above $5000. I did not closely examine set descriptions beyond that in the title. I put my set together so long ago I have no recollection of the costs of doing it at the time
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    This question is ridiculous.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous seems harsh, how about enigmatic
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dnice

This question is ridiculous.

I looked at your collection and I would say you have a fair amount of money tired up in those cards, yet you have no idea how much cards appreciate over the years ?

Is that the same way you handle your other investments.

IMO your ridiculous.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I can't really give any opinions on a 66 topps set (or any set for that matter) as I collect Jordan cards as well as vintage rookies and stars but i always think about dollar value, appreciation and the "investment" aspect of collecting sportscards.

When I first started collecting I chose mj to collect because of his overall appeal to collectors, fans etc... I could have chose anybody to collect; Shaq, Kobe, Rodman but I went with someone who I felt would have the most collectibility and value as well as re-sell potential because "we can't take them with us".

I've always tried purchasing cards at lower than what they typically sell for and coincidentally it has worked out well as many of my Jordan cards are worth more than I paid for (some are worth around the same, very few worth less). This could be attributed to my 60+ page spreadsheet of prices that I collected over the last 4 years or so, could also be dumb luck/coincidence. But when a card im interested in comes up for sale, more than likely I have a very good idea of the value in many conditions.

I couldn't tell you to expect a card (or set) to go up or down in value or how much, there are just too many variables. I'd just recommend buying what you like and having a strong feel for the market on that particular item(s).

Not sure if these are any of the answers you're looking for but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

• Options
    The best place to check appreciation rate of complete sets like you describe is to look at the auction history of PWCC which thankfully they store on their own site: www.pwccauctions.com
  • Options
    Stay tuned tomorrow as OP will ask even more silly questions.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted the prices in your other thread. I am not certain if they haven't been updated much or they haven't moved much. Recent completed sales would give you a better idea.

I get the feeling though that it hasn't moved much while the high grade stuff has skyrocketed. A lot of supply of EX quality cards from this timeframe.

It may turn out that with fees, shipping, and your time no return was made.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMR 2001
    1966 complete set PSA 5- 2,722, PSA 6- 4,009, PSA 7- 6,652, PSA 8- 13,809, PSA 9- 69,810
    Looks like you made a little anyway.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph