Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Contemplating exiting the hobby; looking for opinions on the best way to liquidate

Good afternoon everyone; I've been thinking about selling all my cards and exiting the hobby.

I'm looking for options on the best way to go about selling my inventory. It includes multi-sport unopened of varying years (80s mostly, and almost all BBCE), graded cards of all sports, and modern ungraded auto/patch cards of mainly HOF or HOF-level players. Also have a complete Topps and Bowman sealed Tiffany set run.

I'm not super interested in selling the items indivually either here or on eBay as I lack the time to list, sell, and ship the items in a timely fashion.

Basically, I'm looking for the easiest way to get the most money with the least amount of hassle. Feel free to post your suggestions here or send me a PM. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    is Probstein accepting consignments?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan

is Probstein accepting consignments?

IMF

YES, ACTIVELY!!
  • 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm aware of all the consignors. Does anyone have strong feelings, one way or another, to any of the available consignment options? Would an auction house, like Heritage be better? Finding a single collector or shop? This is basically what I was asking.

Additionally, I truly do enjoy collecting. This was a very difficult decision based on life events. I would appreciate sincere advise while keeping the snarkiness to a minimum.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of being forced to sell. Gotta do what you gotta do. Take heart that once things resolve, you can always collect again, when able. Seems like perhaps Probstein or PWCC would be your easiest way forward. Depends on your holdings in total -- doesn't hurt to email them both. Heritage is great for any kind of truly top-end material, but I think for an accumulation of collectibles, ebay and PWCC or Probstein would be your best bet. Good luck. image
    Originally posted by: originalisbest
    Sorry to hear of being forced to sell. Gotta do what you gotta do. Take heart that once things resolve, you can always collect again, when able. Seems like perhaps Probstein or PWCC would be your easiest way forward. Depends on your holdings in total -- doesn't hurt to email them both. Heritage is great for any kind of truly top-end material, but I think for an accumulation of collectibles, ebay and PWCC or Probstein would be your best bet. Good luck. image

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. My highest priced single item would be in the very low four figures, so Heritage probably won't work. I'll contact PWCC and Probstein and see how it goes.
  • MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Give BBCE a call.

If unsatisfactory, try PWCC.
  • Probatein if you need the money fast. He pays out when payment is made.

PWCC tends to fetch more if you have nice looking stuff but you probably wouldn't see payment for what could be up to two months or more from the time you send out.

Originally posted by: MrHockey
    Give BBCE a call.

If unsatisfactory, try PWCC.

I didn't know BBCE bought singles. Never though of that. Are they consignors or do they buy then sell, or both?
    Thanks for this. Not in a dire money situation, so waiting for the best price is what I would be looking for.

The way I'd like to do it is just send everything to one place, it sells at or around the same time, then get one payment. I'd prefer that everything is wrapped up within a few months. I'd rather not have a few items out for sale for months then have small payments trickle in.

I don't have any experience with consignment and this is in now way an accusation, but has anyone ever had an experience where the send an item for consignment, the item sells, and you don't get paid? Or you were supposed to get $X and you get less than $X?
  • PWCC much better than Probstein from what little interaction I've had with both men and from reading consignors' reviews.
    BBCE buys everything. They buy to sell. You might not get max price but you can move it all reasonably with mac convenience. Depends on how much work you're going to put in.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on what all you have and the value, an auction house like Heritage, Memory Lane or Greg Bussineau may be the way to go. Some of the auction houses will not charge you any fees if what you have is something they would be interested in. Some are taking consignments for their next auction. Check the link below for upcoming auctions. There may also be someone here that might be interested in buying you out.

James

Upcoming Auctions
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with PWCC at this time. Rick seems to be very busy right now and your items may not get the proper attention to maximize return.
    Mike
    Thanks for the help all. It really is appreciated. The daunting task now is to put a list together of everything I have, which I have not even thought to start until now. Two weeks of Excel work, here I come.
    I would un-recommend InvestInBaseball. Just had an interaction with them that was ... blech.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    PWCC is heads/shoulders above Probstein, both in fetching high $$$ and professionalism.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have consigned with pwcc and was very happy with the results. Sorry to hear you are getting out of the hobby.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I have consigned with pwcc and was very happy with the results. Sorry to hear you are getting out of the hobby.

does Pwcc do raw non high end cards ? like commons etc
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure about raw low end. Maybe as a lot they would consider it. I only consigned graded singles.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lawyer05
    Originally posted by: craig44

does Pwcc do raw non high end cards ? like commons etc

I think you need send Brent an email to see if they will accept it, however I think the fee structure would make it too expensive due to the min fee.

Mike