Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball cards appearing on tv shows/movies

I was watching the "Muffin Tops" episode of Seinfeld tonight and there was a scene which had quite a few framed t205s on the wall. I could make out one being Mathewson, I am sure the experts can make out others. It is pretty well known that there was a scene on the Wonders where Kevin is trying to trade for Paul's McCovey, but they couldn't make it happen even with the Schwartz! What other instances have cards made it on the screen?

Wonder Years trading

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Early episodes of Seinfeld had a box of 1990 Donruss on top of the fridge: http://screencast.com/t/0ixYC78JGsX

And the busboy episode had 4 1984 Topps card in a frame in the busboy's apartment: http://screencast.com/t/2Rv9vKSu5g

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: maddux69

I was watching the "Muffin Tops" episode of Seinfeld tonight and there was a scene which had quite a few framed t205s on the wall. I could make out one being Mathewson, I am sure the experts can make out others. It is pretty well known that there was a scene on the Wonders where Kevin is trying to trade for Paul's McCovey, but they couldn't make it happen even with the Schwartz! What other instances have cards made it on the screen?

Wonder Years trading

Will you open it up to hockey cards too? I saw your post and then was flipping through the channels and stumbled onto Strange Brew? Cult classic! Bob and Doug run into Rosie La Rose at the brewery and ask him to autograph his card for him.

I have it narrowed down to a 1972 card. NHL. WHA had the logo on the left side. White jersey, circular logo, red background, team name is long enough to reach the horizontical player name stripe. Players name is long as well. I just can't figure it out. It screams Montreal but they all seem to have a green back ground. Detroit wore white but none I've found match. Could be Vancouver but the logo looks round not square. You would think OPC because it's a Canadian classic but there are fewer red backgrounds. Que up the Jeopardy theme song!

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Kevin

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Hart to Hart
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    The Simpsons and "the one with the sideburns".
    Steve
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    In George's apartment on some episodes, there is a poster for Score baseball, I think it is 95 era??
  • Options
    The movie Sandlot, Benny Rodriguez has a 1954 Topps Aaron rookie card that he gives to Babe Ruth. Funny thing is that is the movie is set in the 60s and the card is in a plastic screw down case.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

Hart to Hart

https://forums.collectors.com/...11&threadid=310601
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1955 koufax rookie plays a part in Stephen kings "needful things"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    McGyver "Squeeze Play" (TV Episode 1990)

Synopsis in 3 sentences or less:
    A neighborhood boy steals Frank Colton's baseball cards, and Mama Colton asks MacGyver to get them back. He teams up with Wendy, the daughter of former star Novis Riley, and they stumble onto a card counterfeiting operation. The ringleader kidnaps Wendy in an attempt to extort Novis into stealing memorabilia originally used by Reggie Jackson in the 1977 World Series.

Highlight:
    Lots of good choices here, including the scene referenced in the memorable quote. But I have to go with the dramatic ending where MacGyver pitches Reggie Jackson's World Series home run baseball to former superstar Novis Riley who then puts a perfect swing on it and hits it into the electronic scoreboard, ala Robert Redford in The Natural. The scoreboard then malfunctions and crashes down onto the bad guy in the getaway car. You can call it crazy, ridiculous, and unrealistic, and you'd be right on all counts, but it sure is fun.

Lowlight:
    I like Wendy, but she instantly goes from 0 to 100 in the card shop and it feels a little over-the-top.
    ---------------------------
    Brent Barry in Jerry Mcguire when a kid asks him to sign a card for him.

"I can't sign that particular brand of card. I can only sign Pro-Jam Blue Dot cards."

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I saw a Partridge family TV Show in re-runs years ago that had Danny handing some 1972 Topps baseball cards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: slum22

Close to my heart!

I've heard of, but not seen, baseball cards in Star Trek and Better Call Saul
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "the Wonders (years) where Kevin is trying to trade for Paul's McCovey, but they couldn't make it happen even with the Schwartz!

Kevin: Willie McCovery for Ted Williams? That's an insult!
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anachronistic 1973 Topps ATG Ty Cobb in Goonies. Belonged to Chester Copperpot.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Originally posted by: slum22

Close to my heart!

I've heard of, but not seen, baseball cards in Star Trek and Better Call Saul

1962 Maris. Apparently the only surviving copy in the year 2366. It is also raw. Perhaps slabs are not the best for archival purposes? (Note - 3rd season was probably 1990)
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vandweller

Early episodes of Seinfeld had a box of 1990 Donruss on top of the fridge: http://screencast.com/t/0ixYC78JGsX

It certainly resembles a 1990 Donruss box, but it doesn't seem to match up to the ones I've compared it to. Are there different ones?
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Ruby Cairo---wife tracks missing husband via baseball card clues

Text

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    In an episode of "The Fugitive". Dr. Richard Kimble escapes in Lt Gerard's car, but unknown to Kimble Gerard's son (played by Kurt Russell) is in the car. He has football cards including Jim Brown.
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    In the movie "Mask", the main character collects, and trades, for 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers. I believe he trades his buddy for a Rube Walker.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    In Dumb and Dumb they trade a sack of marbles, some baseball cards and Petey for a few extra dollars outside of their travel fund!
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An episode of "Leave It To Beaver" had some cards pictured either in
    hand or on the dresser top. In the first "Home Alone" movie in the brothers
    closet there is a 1990 Fleer black tin set. Here in N.E. Tn. at that time these
    sets were over $100. At the time I wanted one but not any longer.
  • Options
    In an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, Richie asks his dad if he brought him anything, and Dick Van Dyke produced a few packs of what appeared to be 1961 Topps Baseball from his pockets.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    In the movie Jacob's Ladder, Tim Robbins' son (played by that Culkin whippersnapper I believe) drops his baseball cards (1973 Topps) on the road and...
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    in the movie with the mummy guy....???? his family is in a underground shelter and they come up years later.

He has baseball cards he can't believe what they are worth and sells thme.

aslo in a episode of numbers or similar they use a 1963 Nellie fox card as a clue.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 10:51PM
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episdoe "In the Cards" uses a 1951 Topps Willie Mays RC. I had a reprint signed by the two primary actors in this episode.

The two actors on the show, Aron Eisenberg and Cirroc Lofton (ironically Kenny Lofton's nephew)

My reprint signed by two Trek actors in the episode.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the reprint? Should have gone all in and gotten the real deal! image

Kevin

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

Why the reprint? Should have gone all in and gotten the real deal! image

If I were into vintage I may just have but since Im not.. way too pricey image
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    the goonies; chester copperpot has a lou gehrig card in his wallet.

rain man; raymond collected cards

airplane; rex kramer "all right, striker, you listen, and listen close. flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: skrezyna23

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episdoe "In the Cards" uses a 1951 Topps Willie Mays RC. I had a reprint copied by actors in the show.

The two actors on the show:

What a great original idea.image

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I recall some anachronistic 1987 Topps cards on Henry's headboard on The Americans.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: skrezyna23
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episdoe "In the Cards" uses a 1951 Topps Willie Mays RC. I had a reprint copied by actors in the show.

The two actors on the show:

Dan I was waiting for you to add that to this post!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    A great scene in Mr. Baseball is where he's meeting the owners of the Japanese baseball team he's playing for and hands out his baseball cards instead of business cards.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    In the movie "Blast from the Past", the father (Christopher Walken) has his son take a box of baseball cards (along with millions in stocks) to the surface to barter for supplies.

Included and mentioned is a Mickey Mantle Rookie card when taken into the card shop
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheDudeAbides
    In an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, Richie asks his dad if he brought him anything, and Dick Van Dyke produced a few packs of what appeared to be 1961 Topps Baseball from his pockets.

Any idea what episode that is?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cooptown
    In the movie "Mask", the main character collects, and trades, for 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers. I believe he trades his buddy for a Rube Walker.

The movie also opens with him opening a pack of 1973 Topps and shows him going through card by card hoping for Dodgers.
  • Options
    The show Whose the boss has an episode where an Uncle starts a rumor that Tommy LaSorda is going to get elected into the Hall of Fame and teaches the kids how to Corner the Market on LaSorda cards. LaSorda appears on the episode.

I am fairly certain when The Buying Group is finally exposed we will learn their origins began here.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: brad31
    The show Whose the boss has an episode where an Uncle starts a rumor that Tommy LaSorda is going to get elected into the Hall of Fame and teaches the kids how to Corner the Market on LaSorda cards. LaSorda appears on the episode.

I am fairly certain when The Buying Group is finally exposed we will learn their origins began here.

I'm pretty sure this was Silver Spoons, not Who's the Tony Danza - confirmed
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Patches
    In Dumb and Dumb they trade a sack of marbles, some baseball cards and Petey for a few extra dollars outside of their travel fund!

But Petey didn't even have a head!
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction and the link.
  • Options
    CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    The Bruce Willis movie Cop Out revolves around the 1952 Topps Andy Pafko card.

Here is a link about it from Beckett that I found,

http://www.beckett.com/news/co...s-might-make-some-cry/

Happy Collecting!
    Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmoran19

It apparently appears in episode 9, "My Blond-Haired Brunette". I did not confirm it, but googled, and came across the many times baseball cards were mentioned on the show. It included Richie trading 200 baseball cards for a turtle, and Rob mentioning Richie had over a thousand baseball cards on his dresser.

The Dude

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    What was the baseball card in Andy's "tool box" that Ron went through on Parks & Recreation?

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: saucywombat
    What was the baseball card in Andy's "tool box" that Ron went through on Parks & Recreation?

LINKY

• Options
    Originally posted by: PMKAY

Originally posted by: brad31

I'm pretty sure this was Silver Spoons, not Who's the Tony Danza - confirmed

True, but there was a Gift of the Magi-like episode of Who's the Boss? where where Judith Light went to a card store to get a Tony Micelli card.

If memory serves, the card store owner called Tony who sold the card to the owner. The owner sold it to Judith Light who gave it back to Tony.

I believe it looked like an '81 Donruss card. Ten-year-old me was surprised to learn that Tony had actually played major league baseball.
    -jhg
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the little brother's room in Iron Eagle there are a bunch of 1985 Topps Baseball pinned to the wall.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

It apparently appears in episode 9, "My Blond-Haired Brunette". I did not confirm it, but googled, and came across the many times baseball cards were mentioned on the show. It included Richie trading 200 baseball cards for a turtle, and Rob mentioning Richie had over a thousand baseball cards on his dresser.

The Dude

Thanks man! Going hunting to find

• Options

The Dude

Found the episode, too hard to tell what packs as the are only shown from the side but later in the show Richie kisses his dad good night holding a stack of cards that definitely look to be 1961

John

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

The Dude

Found the episode, too hard to tell what packs as the are only shown from the side but later in the show Richie kisses his dad good night holding a stack of cards that definitely look to be 1961

John

Cool, I have the DVD's for most of the seasons of the show, I'll have to give them a view, been too busy to sit down and watch that episode. I thought they were 61's. The Dude