Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Set Registry Question -- Has anyone ever had an item removed from their set with no explanation?

I logged into one of my sets today and one of the most valuable cards I own is no longer present in my set. I have not sold the card, nor should anyone else even have a picture of it because it was a card I submitted myself over ten years ago.

Can anyone think of a plausible explanation for how this could have occurred?

I am likely going to call Customer Service to see if they have any idea how this could have happened.....

Thanks for any help (or even theories) on how this could occur....
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Removed from just the set, or from your inventory completely?
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Good question. I will check that now. But when I opened my set for "edit" to see if I could "add card," there was nothing listed in the spot anymore. The card is still listed as a component of the Master Set, but none of the other listed sets have a copy in their inventory either. I am fairly certain this was the case prior to this though, as the card is very scarce.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I have had a few cards removed from my #1 Yaz Master Set--zero explanation. Sometimes a person will complain saying it does not belong in there--and poof--gonzo.

just like having a new card added to a set---they think it shld be there--it'll be there

with the Yaz sets a few were the Fleer stamps they said were not mainstream enough.
    I considered that as a possibility, but this is clearly a card from a high profile major manufacturer, which has been well known in the hobby for 25 years.

I would hate to think that because people have not been able to find one, that they can complain and have it removed from a "Master" set.

By the way, it has been the card with the highest "point value weight" in the set since the Master Set was first created more than twelve years ago.
    Sounds good. I will try that once I can get to the card and see what happens.

Did you ever figure out why the link was dropped for your card? What would make that happen?
  • Hopefully it's just a technical glitch.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gregmo32What would make that happen?

Duplication in the Pop Report is one possibility, same card under two different spec #s (happens far too frequently). When they consolidate to one to correct, if it's not the one that is associated with the registry set it could cause issues.

ETA: Did it happen to be a 1932 issue?
    LarkinC,

I had not heard of that happening, but that is indeed strange. No it was a relatively modern card (though I am getting older, and it is more than 25 years old) that has been well known since it was issued.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check on this last night at home. I will do it tonight and update everyone.

The plot thickens. When I entered the serial number of the card, I got the following auto response.

"Item already in inventory, but not added to this set because it does not match this set."

This is clearly not true, because the exact description of the card is still listed in the set. Only my card has been removed from my set.

I also left a detailed message for the Set Registry customer service folks on Monday, and have not gotten any response as of yet.
  • Originally posted by: gregmo32

The plot thickens. When I entered the serial number of the card, I got the following auto response.

"Item already in inventory, but not added to this set because it does not match this set."

This is clearly not true, because the exact description of the card is still listed in the set. Only my card has been removed from my set.

I also left a detailed message for the Set Registry customer service folks on Monday, and have not gotten any response as of yet.

And it's not letting you "report a cert that should match this composite"?
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I had this happen a couple weeks ago with 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson card. It got taken out of my set out of the blue and I could not add it back on my own. I sent a message to set registry and it got re-associated. I know sometimes they update set composition rating and perhaps in the process this type of thing happens. They fixed it but provided no explanation.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

Dan,

I didn't try that, though it seems obvious that I should have. I will try that today and seems what happens.
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Originally posted by: gregmo32

In my Randy Johnson example above, I started with the report a cert that should match the composite and the card was denied, again without explanation. I had to go email route to get it corrected.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Originally posted by: mcholke

Originally posted by: DanBessette

In my Randy Johnson example above, I started with the report a cert that should match the composite and the card was denied, again without explanation. I had to go email route to get it corrected.

Sure, I get that, was just wondering if he tried "report a cert" first.
    No, I didn't try the "report a cert..." method. I will try that tonight and see what happens.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! PSA's decisions can be very confusing.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

I didn't try that, though it seems obvious that I should have. I will try that today and seems what happens.

they could have taken it out for being a proof card or a 1/1

what card is it ? Stop with the mystery !!!!!
  • Originally posted by: lawyer05

Dan,

they could have taken it out for being a proof card or a 1/1

what card is it ? Stop with the mystery !!!!!

He already said twice that the slot still exists on the master composite. It's not a proof. Some of your posts lately have me wondering if you're really a lawyer.
    Sorry for the "mystery." I am admittedly paranoid about Set Registry related topics, and would rather not name the card in question. I was only trying to figure out if this is an isolated incident. I have run into real-life work the last few days but will try to solve this once I get a bit of hobby time. I will update you all then...