Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

September Pickups

Received this in the mail the other day. I enjoyed watching Elston play when I was a kid. I always wanted to pick up one of his autographed cards ... and now I have one. It's hard to believe he died over 35 years ago.

I put in a low bid, never thinking I would win. The combination of the clarity of the card ... the sharp auto ... and the placement of the auto ... make this a very nice one to own.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Nice card, Howard was very underrated.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a catch Doug.

I believe he's a tougher one to get. I've got it on a sheet of paper where he was signing for free.

I picked this up cheap - I just like the simple card and nice sig.

Mike
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug and Mike, a couple of great autographs. I know Feller signed a lot so his autographs aren't particularly valuable relative to his on field accomplishments, but as a teenager I sure appreciated being able to get a HOFer to autograph something for me for $5!
    Steve
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike. Did you have it made or did you buy it like that?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random ungraded:

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug and Mike..... Great start to the month of September. The Elston Howard is outstanding.

I'm tackling the 50 greatest NBA Players straight on and picked up these 3. The 86's I'm looking for 8's or better with fantastic centering.

The Lew Alcindor looks under graded in my opinion. It's a stunning card in hand.

imageimage
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Love the Alcindor and Akeem. Feller was one of the nicest former athletes I've ever met. And that LT might be considered "junk wax," but tracking down those 1,000 stripes is not easy!
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Very nice Mike. Did you have it made or did you buy it like that?

It was made by someone called L&L collectibles - very nicely made.

They did quite a few of them from what I can see.

Mike
    I remember when Wild Card was white hot!

Ya gotta like LT.
    Mike
    The "Lou" looks like a care that needs a bump Bobby.

Looks great along with the 86Fs.
    Mike
    Bobby ... that Alcindor is SWEET!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• NIIIIIIIIICE FELLAS!!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Terrific Lew/Kareem RC as well as the 86's. You are on a strong BK run of late. You will need to change your avatar soon to something hoops related if you keep this up!
    Steve
  • Originally posted by: slum22

Terrific Lew/Kareem RC as well as the 86's. You are on a strong BK run of late. You will need to change your avatar soon to something hoops related if you keep this up!

Steve, His avatar has a basketball in it, lol
    Man Bobby ... what an even better career Connie Hawkins could have had if he didn't get blackballed for no apparent reason.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharing a few of my recent pick-ups. I'm really excited about adding some cards that will stay in my collection for a long time.

-Nathanael

Popped this last month and it made my day:

I've been after this in an 8 since 2007:

Slowly building my Jordan psa 10 collection. You can't beat this action shot:
    Nathanael - WOW. Three amazing cards. I really love that ORR! Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Added a few items. Still plugging away at my Beam Team and Ringside sets.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
    Nice pickups Joe. The registration on that Ringside is real nice.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• NIIIICE BEAMERS!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1977 Topps baseball rack with Garvey and Palmer league leaders on top and flag rescuer Rick Monday on back. Super clean rack I managed to pry from cpamike. image Thanks, Mike!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Nice pickups Joe. The registration on that Ringside is real nice.

Thanks. The centering is less than optimal but I want to finish the set first, then start incrementally upgrading over time.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Wow!!!!!

What a great card. imageimageimage
    Mike

One of my favorites from the set - great card!

I like the Ringside card also - that's a great set!
    Mike
    That's quite a pickup Tim!

From Mike?

I thought he was like me? Never, never sell unless there's a gun to your head.

Haven't seen much of Mike (cpa) - sure miss his presence here.
    Mike
    Originally posted by: Stone193

That's quite a pickup Tim!

From Mike?

I thought he was like me? Never, never sell unless there's a gun to your head.

Haven't seen much of Mike (cpa) - sure miss his presence here.

Thanks, Mike!

Mike's around but been busy with work. He should be back around later in the month.

He picked up a full box of 77 racks from Steve at the National so he sold off some of his other 77 racks to offset the expense. He doesn't have Stone money, after all. image

Here's the other 77 rack I picked up. A Met on top and Gary, "If I ain't startin', I ain't departin'," on back. lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    He doesn't have Stone money, after all.

That may be very overrated Tim.

Another nice rack.

What did the 77T rack go for?

I wouldn't mind having a 78T rack box - but just didn't want to put out that kind of money.
    Mike
    I really enjoy seeing all the cards and packs and other cool memorabilia people pick up every month. Thanks for the props on the Orr, Mike.

-Nathanael
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Frozencaribou

Sharing a few of my recent pick-ups. I'm really excited about adding some cards that will stay in my collection for a long time.

-Nathanael

I've been after this in an 8 since 2007:

That Orrs a beaut I love the look of the '70 OPCs. But that Forum card..... WOW! Pop 4 none higher. Congrats on finally tracking it down.

Kevin

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really digging the '70 OPC Bobby Orr. Got these in the mail today: '71 OPC Munson (tough card) and a '63 of my all time fave, Henry Aaron:

Daniel
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Great cards Daniel. I always thought the 63 Aaron was under appreciated.

Tim, why don't you rip the 77 rack right before the draft tonight so Mike will get so flustered he will F up his draft. LOL.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Originally posted by: cincyredlegs

Great cards Daniel. I always thought the 63 Aaron was under appreciated.

Tim, why don't you rip the 77 rack right before the draft tonight so Mike will get so flustered he will F up his draft. LOL.

Mark

LOL, that might actually work! Though if last week was any indication, he may lay down and simply fall asleep again, lol..

>

Thanks, LOTSOS. It was the last PWCC auction and I am so happy one of the big fish didn't outbid me.

Baltimoreyankee- love the Munson. 1971 OPC baseball is such a cool set. I really like that they have different backs.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Pirates for my player collections.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Nice cards Daniel.

Always wished I had gotten around to the Munson - iconic. Good show.
    Mike
    That's a really nicely centered Clemente Darin.

Tough card. Very nice.

And what can I say about a 10 - Willie never looked better. image
    Mike
    I love Grote's 1977 "Blue" rack pack, especially Freddie Patek.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Thanks Mike! Clemente was my favorite player as a kid, passed away when I was 7 years old.
    It was natural Stargell then became my favorite. When Brett and the Royals came of age,
    I never wanted those two to meet in a world series because I wouldn't have known who to root for.LOL>
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • It doesn't get any better than a 71 OPC Munson
    Tim - How many '77 Racks do you now have?

Dan - Two really nice pickups. That's a sweet looking Thurman.

Darin - Love that Clemente. Presents real well for a "6".
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man Bobby ... what an even better career Connie Hawkins could have had if he didn't get blackballed for no apparent reason.

It's truly a shame what happen to Hawkins, but he did make it to the HOF. He could have been one of the greatest if his name never came up in that point shaving scandal.

Natan... That Bobby Orr is amazing as well as the 88 AS Jordan.

Splash2..... Nice beamer's that is my favorite sub set.

Tim... Gary Templeton rookie on back... As Eric says "NIIIIIIICE!"

Darin.... Sweet POPS and R.C. Not sure why the R.C. is only a 6. Congrats on the pickups.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim - How many '77 Racks do you now have?

Come on. Do you ask how many grains of sand there are on a beach? Or stars in the night sky?
    Come on. Do you ask how many grains of sand there are on a beach? Or stars in the night sky?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

LOL, Douglas, I have not ascertained an exact figure but it is more than a few.. image

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These arrived yesterday. Like I've said before I'm pretty bullish on last years crop of rookies so I figured this would be a nice little addition. (Damn my scanner sucks. Sorry about the quality)

Also this will be the last modern cards I purchase for some time. It's time to get back to work on Gilbert and the rest of the 70's Sabres.

[URL=http://s613.photobucket.com/us..._zpsnkqwngvy.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Lotsos/media/image_zps90ge7uyu.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Lotsos/media/image_zpsovpjygrk.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

Kevin

Just picked up this Chance for my set. Really happy with the presentation.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Damn Mark ... That's one REAL GOOD LOOKING "2" of a HOFer.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Thanks Doug. This is the type of cards I want. Honestly, I could care less about the tape stain on the back.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Originally posted by: cincyredlegs
    Thanks Doug. This is the type of cards I want. Honestly, I could care less about the tape stain on the back. Mark

I agree 100% Mark. Would be thrilled to find some of the HOFers I need for my NY subset with tape on the back! Help$ a real lot.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I love the 70 OPC Orr.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"