Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

August Pick Ups

Apologies if this is not the first thread on this topic. Search function doesn't work properly...

I'll start it of with

Comments

• dioworlddioworld Posts: 140 ✭✭
    OH YEAAAAA, where's the hulkster?
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    First high number and one of my favorite cards in the set.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    First ticket that I have ever had graded.....This was the only loss of Dan Gable's career from his freshman year of high school all the way until he lost the last match of his senior year of college. No one could have ever imagined that the Great Dan Gable would lose his last match. He was not able to prepare like normal as he had media requests and he was trying to accommodate their wishes while he should have been preparing for his match. I was in the same hotel as Dan in September as we watched the World Championships. He has signed many things for me over the years and was joking that it was only $2 to see him wrestle. This is probably the most famous wrestling match in history. Gable being upset after reeling off 181 straight wins in a row.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Love that NCAA wrestling ticket
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested in the Gable/Owings match...check this out:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/...dan-gable-larry-owings

Great stuff guys!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow, great start to Aug with all 4........4 icons in each's own field....superman, gable, ryan and ...elizabeth!!! ..Oh, yeah!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Originally posted by: ugaskidawg
    For anyone interested in the Gable/Owings match...check this out:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/...dan-gable-larry-owings

Great stuff guys!

Thanks for the link to the article and match....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one was delivered today.

James

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    James, that Williams is fantastic!
    Steve
  • Card #60 in my chase for the set. My grandfather told me that he actually fought Jimmy Flood in grade school, and my grandpa kicked his ass lol

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the article.

Gable is he best unknown superstar in usa (ncaa) sports.

Years ago the local paper ran an article on Gable when the had the championships here in Albany NY.

Sanderson's last match (undefeated and going for his 4th championship) was being compared to Gable.

Fortunately he won.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always love seeing a nice ryan rookie!!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Originally posted by: jay0791
    Thanks for the article.

Gable is he best unknown superstar in usa (ncaa) sports.

Years ago the local paper ran an article on Gable when the had the championships here in Albany NY.

Sanderson's last match (undefeated and going for his 4th championship) was being compared to Gable.

Fortunately he won.

I was there in Albany when Cael won his fourth national title in a row, it was a spectacular achievement and it was moving to see how the crowd celebrated his undefeated career.

• arexarex Posts: 999
    I just graduated a kid who is going to wrestle in college. I think he will eventually be able
    To qualify for the nationals and when/if he does I'll go to wherever it is and watch it.
    I really wanted to go to NYC this last season and watch the championships but missed too many days of school with sickness and then our regionals and state tournament.
    Awesome story wrestlingKing!
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat
    This one was delivered today.
    James

Wow on this Ted Williams! This would instantly be the best card in my collection. Congrats.
    Daniel
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Really sharp Ted Williams, Congrats on that.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple more purchases:

imageimage
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's an upgrade to my Clemente collection:

I'll have a PSA 7 up for sale on the BST later.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this back from PSA:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an absolutely gorgeous pack Tim. As a kid I always loved that card of Carew.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet stuff guys and love the 57 Williams - wow that is a nice card.

KC
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    I love pinhole cards. Got this for less than half what I've chased several PSA 2s for and I like this one much better:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    nice items
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I don't get many opportunities to upgrade my 1985 Topps WWF set. This recently went from POP 3 to POP 4 and fortunately for me it was listed on eBay auction style

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
    I bought this gem from Greg(gregmo32) from the buy sell trade forum

[URL=http://s593.photobucket.com/us...e_zpsy9xi8cmc.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • 13 down, 8 more to go for the set. With MJ and Shaq out of the way, it is just a matter of waiting for the others to show up.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Sushi (sorry, I don't know your real name) those are some awesome cards!!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple additions:

imageimage
    Thanks Dan. My given name is Dave. I have been hunting for that Gretzky sportscaster for some time and finally pulled the trigger.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the nice comments about the 57 Williams. I was extremely happy with it when it showed up. This Brooks Robinson was delivered today.

James

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Some great stuff - the 79 Cello with Carew is AWESOME!!! Gotta like that Jordan BEAMER and the Fleer Brooks is a true vintage beauty!! Too many to comment on, all are very nice and congrats to all!!
      I finally landed a Rookie Clemente for my collection and it has the front and back centering I was waiting/looking for!!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UFFDAH that Bob is glorious........congrats dude
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Yes a Very Nice Bob
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Nice pick up Chris. Looks great.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • That Clemente is phenomenal. Great colors along with centering. That one is a keeper all right!
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome clemente!! Congrats to the 10th degree!!

Jeremy
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    August is shaping up to be a great month!

So many cards caught my eye - thanx for sharing.

Huggins & Scott Auction - I was the only bidder on this vending machine, so great price.

Fits nicely into my collection of coin ops. image

Mike
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet pickup Mike!

KC
  • Geez Mike, I really love that machine. You've posted some great stuff over the years but that might be my favorite. I'm a bit of an Exhibit-phile.
  • Finally got back this Aparicio from a signing. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Was a PSA 9 crackout that looks like a lock 7 with a chance at an 8, more than good enough for my set. Note: the defects seen at the bottom are on the soft sleeve, not the card.

It's worth noting that he was apparently a colossal a-hole at the signing, the worst I've ever heard of not named Willie Mays. At least I got my card back and the sig looks great.

Here is where my 74 Topps Sox team set stands:

PSA 8 signed Tiant

PSA 8 signed Cecil Cooper

PSA 7 signed Carbo

PSA 6 signed Petrocelli

PSA 6 signed Tommy Harper

Signed but not slabbed yet: Aparicio

On the way to a signing: Bill Lee
    Thanx Keith!

Hiya Dan

That's a really nice auto card - and super team set buddy!

Thanx on the coin op - it lights up and is 6 ft. tall.

Puts my metal exhibit vending machine to shame!

Mike
    Thanks guys!! I think I will be tipping a cold brewski to the Clemente this weekend!! "To" not "On" LOL
    Originally posted by: UFFDAH

Thanks guys!! I think I will be tipping a cold brewski to the Clemente this weekend!! "To" not "On" LOL

There were so many great cards, but I have to say - not only a sweet card - but wow on the centering!

Yes, congratulations - worthy of a cold one buddy!

Mike
    Thanks Mike!! Set up that neat baseball vending machine to dispense "cold ones" --- now that would be cool!!
    Originally posted by: UFFDAH

Thanks Mike!! Set up that neat baseball vending machine to dispense "cold ones" --- now that would be cool!!

You're welcome.

At least your card doesn't have to be shipped on a palette! And that's why it only went for 500 bucks. Also thinking post National didn't help.

Mike
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Media Badge/Button from the last game of Cal Ripken's career in 2001 (2" x 2"); First one I had ever seen:

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Nice!