Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got to meet Mike Tyson + lots of new pictures. ** Grand Slam Collectibles in Murfreesboro, TN **

1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2017 8:08AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Here are a few new pictures. It's been almost six months now. They are just random pictures or items we picked up the last week or so. We have a FB page, twitter page and instagram. We also have BGS coming to the store to grade cards on February 24th from 12-6 and trade night 6-9PM. We have seen/heard/learned a lot since we opened. If you have any questions or want to hear a card story or two let me know. Got to meet Iron Mike at the Upper Deck Diamond dealer convention.

Want to share some pictures from out shop from this weekend (11-12-16) .

Below are,just random pictures along the way on the iPad I thought you might like to see.

Well, today we got our federal tax ID number, the lease is being prepared and wanted to share with you guys first that Grand Slam Collectibles was established today. Murfreesboro is over 100,000 population and we have the largest university in the state(MTSU undergrad). We are about 20-25 minutes from Nashville. We have no card shops in Murfreesboro. My career in real estate/property management provides my income so we won't be depending on the store to provide that. We have four shows per month and each promoter has agreed to help in any way to promote the shop.

The shop is 1220 sq. ft and next to Outer Limits comic book shop. They have been in Murfreesboro for around twenty years. We are going to demo a few walls on 8-1-16 and that will take a few days. Then we plan to have a grand opening that we set in a week or so that will be around 8/15-8-20.

I am going to post pictures so you can see a few before/after photos. I've come here for advice before about opening a store so here we go.

We will carry cards/non sports/coins/supplies/vintage video games etc. We will do online box breaks for customers as well. If any of you have advice on how to be succesful please share. If you want to tell me all the reasons why not to do it it's too late.

Grand Slam Collectibles
1238 NW Broad St.
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

The front entrance. The sign will be moved so our signs will sit side by side.

We get one of the windows as well you see here.

Store front before the demo

Update 8-3-16

Walls are done and showcases have been installed.

8-17-16

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome news! Congrats to you and best of luck on the shop.
    Daniel
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    congrats!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the store.

James
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on opening up your shop! All I can do to advise you is to say listen to your customers, as some (not all) will have some good advice.

Wishing you the best on your new venture.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nathan, congratulations!!! Very happy for you buddy. I bet you will enjoy it.

Can't wait for pictures as you get the store all situated.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    i worked and lived in Murfreesboro from 1978 to 1989 off of Franklin Road. Good luck!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. I cover Tennessee as part of my territory, and will have to stop by the next time I am in town.

KC
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    Congrats. I cover Tennessee as part of my territory, and will have to stop by the next time I am in town.

KC

I know the type stuff you like. Hopefully, I will have built up a few nice ones by the time you get by.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nathan ... CONGRATS! Wishing you the best of luck. Never been to TN ... but now I have a reason! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Nathan! Best of luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    This is awesome! I live 500 miles away and I'm still stoked!
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

KC

I know the type stuff you like. Hopefully, I will have built up a few nice ones by the time you get by.

That would be awesome. Murfreesboro is a great location and growing like a weed. Lived in Nashville from 1995-1998, and card stores were decemt and the Internet was just coming into existence - thanks Al Gore! Being a single guy at the time it was buy-buy-buy. Now I cannot find a card store for the life of me, but we have eBay and the CU board. Will definitely stop in once you are open.

KC

Plus as a huge Reds fan I am sure you will be stocked up.

• Options
    Good luck, Nathan! Get those young ones involved in the hobby, give away some freebies, keep 'em coming back for more! (((Whether it be an inexpensive base card of a local favorite or a 1990 Donruss wax!)))
    Lifelong Detroit Tigers Fan
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    That's great! Congratulations on the store! Will be by to say hi and rip some packs the next time I'm in the 'Boro!
    Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 7:17AM
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Great to see card shops expanding!
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Awesome news. Best of luck!
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NATE!! That is amazing!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    SO awesome Nathan! Congratulations!!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess having a comic shop nearby is a great thing too, especially an established one. There will probably be enough crossover shoppers or potential walk-in traffic there for one but spotting the other for both shops to benefit from. Good Luck. Have a variety of stuff for all ranges of buyers is my advise. I hate high end only shops that only sell boxes and overprices singles. Offer bargain boxes (dime, quarter, dollar) and $1 or $5 bins for larger items and the such. It's amazing how much I can spend from stuff like that.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations and best of luck on your endeavor!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Seriously great and exciting news congrats and best of luck!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Awesome and congratulations!!!! Best of luck.

I do know from friends that have owned similar stores that variety or cross over was/is key. One thing that added a lot to their income percentage wise was weekly tournaments or games for the local teens/ low 20's. The collectable card games like world of warcraft (don't know the current popular ones). Brought a lot of people in. And the environment was busy, exciting, with things going on. IMHO.

Wish i was closer to visit. Looks like you're all over it....Awesome news!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    That's great, congratulations!

If I could give a small piece of advice;

I'd recommend shipping items to customers. This would most likely be done through starting your own website with the items posted but I think it may be worth it.

I've purchased a majority of my vintage rookies, hof'ers and Michael Jordan rookie cards from a card shop that's about 150 miles away, and I've never even stepped foot in the building all because they have a website that they post their new items on.

It just makes it more accessible to those who would otherwise be unable to help support your store (like myself).

Good luck!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great news. I would love to have a local card shop

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Nathan, congratulations and welcome to the club! Almost every collector has had the dream of opening their own store, and from what it sounds like, you're heading into it with the right approach. My shop in Hawaii is going on 19 years!

My suggestion to you is to buy your current wax from a distributor like GTS or Southern Hobby - not directly from the manufacturer - and don't speculate on product. The market is quite volatile and fickle when it comes to new product, and the big players like DACW and Blowout can manipulate the market and ruin any position you may have. Whenever Warren Buffet buys a stock, it goes up a little, because investors respect his opinion. Whenever he sells, the price dips for the same reason. Unless you have inside knowledge on what is really going on with the big players, I'd stick to buying in small quantities and re-ordering as needed. Paying an extra 5-10? is better than the watching the value of your product dropping below cost the week of release. There's a reason why BBCE doesn't deal in modern wax, aside from stocking small quantities for our retail store.

Best of luck to you, and give me a call if you need anything.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Nathan.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    May your success be longevity.
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! I live in Franklin TN, and my daughter goes to school at MTSU so I will stopping by!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I wish you and your family the best and hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Magic the Gathering. Sell it. Learn it. Play it. Host it. I see more MTG customers at one of my

LCShops than sports guys, and its a great sports shop. You'll be surprised at the amount of people

who play and what product sells for (quickly!). Great for sales, trading and securing another arena with collectors.

What type of inventory are you carrying now for sports?
  • Options
    Some great suggestions above, and I like the fact that you have a similar business that will draw customers to you. With so few card shops I would definitely suggest casting a larger net like you are doing here on the CU board and other places - people will go an hour or two out of their way for a great card shop. That means people in Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville..

I always liked the shops that encouraged you to stay longer equals more sales. More people opening stuff and talking cards equals more sales and customers - today's day and age wifi is a must plus a few flat screens with games on to create a sports environment. Hardest part is long hours being open with no traffic only to have 80% of your traffic come in at the same time after 4pm on Friday or Saturday am.

One thing I would definitely do if I had a shop would be to get kids involved - sponsor a little league team, offer discounts one night a week to kids that wear their jerseys in, local signings by graduated college players from mtsu or Vandy... Too many businesses fail because they are too transactional rather than built on relations - make it about long term relationships with customers rather than what can I sell today and you will do great. Best of luck to you, and cannot wait to visit the shop.

KC
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    nice to see a b&m store opening instead of closing

wish you the best!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in western KY near Paducah. The next time I am in Nashville, I will try to look you up.

Shane

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and Good Luck!
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Nathan! That's great!
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Wishing you the best in success. Keep posting before and after pictures. I don't know about anybody else, but I like seeing before, during and after pics.

Robert

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    double post

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Originally posted by: initialD
    Congratulations! I wish you and your family the best and hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Magic the Gathering. Sell it. Learn it. Play it. Host it. I see more MTG customers at one of my

LCShops than sports guys, and its a great sports shop. You'll be surprised at the amount of people

who play and what product sells for (quickly!). Great for sales, trading and securing another arena with collectors.

What type of inventory are you carrying now for sports?

We plan to have ten six foot showcases when the build out is complete. Here is the breakdown. Our current vintage inventory is going to need a boost. We are looking to purchase any of the items below excluding gold/silver. It's going to take a little while to have it exactly the way we want it but we will get there.

1- silver/gold coins
    1-Nonsports Magic/Pokemon etc. singles
    1-vintage video games
    2-Vintage up to 1979 baseball
    1- 1980's baseball/basketball/football
    1- Modern high end
    1-Tennessee Titans/Volunteers

The other one TBD

Every card will be priced and each showcase will have a certain percentage off that price.
  • Options
    A few ideas

-The Southern Hobby truck runs Thursday so we want to do a trade night every other Thursday night. The time to sell product is as soon as it is released. We can watch Thursday night football and let customers bring one 2 or 3 row box in to trade with other collectors. With any purchase you get free pizza/drink that night.

-Report card program that if you make A's and B's you get a free Pokemon/magic single up to $3.00 or pack. If you didn't make A's/B's you bring in your last report card and if you improved you get the same prize/gift.

-online box breaks- actually keep the camera on during business hours so people that subscribe can actually watch your shop and get to know you/how you treat customers etc. Almost like reality TV.

• Options
    Wow! Congrats Nathan. I will defintely be customer when I am working in Murfreesboro.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes and good luck. Many of us would like to share your
    dream to open up a shop. I for one am envious!!
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    I like the layout. And showing prices is a plus! It saves time in having to flip over

cards in the case to check or look up prices. Not everyone is as forward to ask about

a bunch of items so it helps a great deal and will save you time and hassle.

Definitely have cameras. Nowadays you can never be too careful. Especially with so many

pocketable items.

You can also have an email setup to let people know whats new and in stock or releases.

Tie in a sports trivia question for a little giveaway also
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

I sincerely wish you all the best. I agree with the others who have said being next to a comic store is a good idea.

I have to admit that the first thought of my joking side was:

If I were your accountant....

If you have any connections with the Predators, you can find out what it would take for players to make an appearance at your store. I'm sure the Predators' web-site would mention it along with posting on any Predator boards (the local paper, Hockeybuzz, etc.). If you could get Subban, Rinne, Forsberg, Josi or Johannson to your store, I am sure you would have a huge turnout.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Nathan

Congratulations and I wish you all the best!

The big thing I like is when a store is organized.

I'm sure you know, while external advertising is so important - "internal" marketing gets way better results for cheap IMO.

Reward kids - bring in a good report card and get rewarded. Establish a "list" of kids e.g.

There's a thin line between "rewarding" - thanking someone for a referral and a "bribe" that feels tedious to a customer.

E.g. customer A walks in and says customer "B" referred them. A nice note to customer B with a "house certificate for $X" goes a long way - it says you're thinking about them.

Have monthly drawings - they have to put their email on the entry - another good way to build a customer list!

As new customers come in - see if they're willing to provide an email - so you can send out specials and announcements....

I went to a shop near the house with Al aka Bishop and they put in a nice long table for people to sit down and open stuff - I like that!

And of course Apps, twitter, Facebook...

I'm sure you've thought of all this - just had a few moments to ramble.

PS - here's hoping you hit a "Grand Slam" image
    Mike
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I was going to mention the kids but Mike beat me to it. Give them plenty of attention. Good luck with the store.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Had a business client down in that town for a while; every time we went down there, we'd stock up on Ale-8-one to bring back home.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I think you should run a promotion where CPA's get a discount on April 15th. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you much success in your endeavor. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your completed shop. Suggest you put in an old style baseball pinball machine that dispenses cards, that is if you have room and the inclination. Possible rewards card for loyal shop customers? Monthly sales receipts drawings? Good luck.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Love the kids grades and get some type of bonus or freebie. Any time someone can brag about their kids and reward them it is a great idea. The Thursday night football idea is also a good one, but plan on being open late. You can also have a pack break night where customers wear their favorite team jersey or tee, and when packs are opened by a group they get the players from their team - wear a Cubs shirt and get all of the Cubs cards - Kris Bryant, Rizzo, Soler...

Another thing I have seen is people can rent "mini" vertical cases from you for say $15/month, and anything you sell for them you get 10%. They move their items and usually with the $$ they make they will spend it with you. It is also a good way to drive traffic - people will check the cases, and the people selling items will check usually weekly to see what has sold.

KC
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Nathan, this is incredible. I wish you nothing but success in this endeavor.

A childhood friend of mine and I had always wanted to do do this as well.

If I'm ever in the area via business, I'll be sure to stop in!

Justin